Chapter 68
217 7 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Star People

Chapter 68

Trials Part 3

Dec 15th, 15 AE…

The sun had reached its zenith in the sky as the procession stopped at the main gates to the rebuilt palace. Watching from his balcony, the soon-to-be ruler of Naran smiled as Vexor and Garres, their hands and feet in chains, were ushered towards the central courtyard, where their trial was to take place. Everything was falling into place.

He was already fantasizing his coronation as Haykin the First. Once he was crowned, he would have full control over all that Shenshirine formally possessed. He would also be privy to every ancient secret in the Royal Library and every artifact of the First Ones. And without Shenshirine’s ‘hostility’ against Free Land (thanks to Haykin’s machinations), he was confident that he could fix Naran’s diplomatic ties with the Star Alliance.

And even if the coronation did not go as planned and he was not accepted as the country’s ruler, he could still take control by force. With the amount of military might he had been building up for months, it would be a simple matter to force the people of Naran to bow down to him.

-----------

The Vortaga Mountain Range…

“So, how’s it look, Sargeant?” Commander Vandalin asked as he approached his subordinate on a hidden observation point, overlooking a small valley. Lying on his stomach, the officer nodded as he put down his high-tech binoculars and addressed his superior.

Sargeant Patrick O’Laren was the newest recruit to Jeremy’s 71st Mech-Squad and had recently transferred from the 353rd Battle-Mech Division to the 472nd. He operated one of the specialized Hunters known as a Bullseye and was an accomplished sniper. Among the Bullseyes, he had one of the highest accuracy and hit ratings.

“From what I can tell, they’ve just finished manufacturing a dozen regiments of those upgraded Magic-Mechs. I’d say they’re about ready to be deployed at a moment’s notice. And the whole complex is made of Dreanat operatives. Not a single one of them belong to Naran.”

“That’s not very promising. What do you think our chances would be if we took them head-on?”

“Not very good, Sir. They have a much larger force than we have. One-on-one, those Magic-Mechs don’t even compare to our Battle-Mechs, but their sheer force of numbers could pose a threat. I wouldn’t recommend a frontal assault.”

“My thoughts exactly, Sargeant. So, is there any way we can even the odds?”

“Yes, I believe I can do that.” Sitting up, O’Lare took out a portable holo-projector and set it on the ground before turning it on. It displayed a detailed and accurate map of the covert manufacturing plant and the surrounding area. He then started pointing out several key locations. “From all the scans that we took, we determined that just about all supplies and whatnot goes through the main entrance. If we can destroy that point, we can cause a bottleneck and keep them trapped in the facility long enough to take them all out.”

“How do we do that?”

“We can cause a diversion on the other side to get their attention. Once they’re distracted, then I can aim for a stockpile of PSB’s right near the entryway. It should be enough to collapse it, thereby trapping them all inside. Then I’ll aim for this!” He pointed to a complex area just above the hanger.

“What is that?”

“Judging by the energy readings, we estimate that this is their main power source. It’s very likely to be the magical equivalent of a central generator. We’ve also detected cable relays radiating from it and towards other areas of the base.”

“So, if we take it out… we will cause a chain reaction that will either shut down the whole base…”

“… or we blow it to kingdom come! Either way works for me, Sir. Permission to proceed?”

“Permission granted. Let’s get set up!”

----------

Another hidden location…

“There they go like clockwork, Commander.” Corporal Gates remarked as he shared his holo-feed of his surveillance drone to the other members of his Battle-Mech squad, the infamous 67th, the Mini-Monsters.

Commander Virgil Kraits nodded as he addressed the other members of his unit. “So, there’s no doubt that they’re stockpiling a huge number of magic gemstones and PSBs. And I count about forty of those advanced Magic-Mechs.”

“Not enough to stop us, Sir!” Gates said with confidence.

“You know it, Corporal. I’ve already given Sargeant Rockston the go-ahead for his men to hit them hard at the South end. Once they get going, we’ll attack the North end and slam the enemy into a pincer maneuver. The Slammers that we borrowed from the 47th should make enough noise for the enemy to start crying for their Mommas!”

----------

Another hidden location…

“Have the devices been planted?”

“They’re all set, Sir!”

“Good! We should be able to shut down the whole operation and take down the Dreanat agents there, without having to endanger the Naran workers there.”

-----------

The Naran Capital…

Haykin smiled with the utmost satisfaction as the charges were read against Garres and Vexor Lorcres. It wouldn’t be much longer before the inevitable guilty verdict was read, and execution would be performed. It was all magically televised throughout the continent of Vados and to the rest of the world as well.

As they stood silently and listened, both father and son were raging within themselves. However, due to the number of drugs and spells the Dreanat had used on them, they couldn’t do a thing about it. And what galled them the most was that this entire trial was nothing more than a circus and that they were going to die. No one was going to save them.

Well… almost no one…

----------

The Council of Prime Directors…

“Well, this so-called trial is going the way we knew it was going to go.” Ben commented as he and his colleagues watched the event on the main holo-viewer.

“Have our operatives in Vados gotten into position?” Anida asked.

“They’ve all reported in that they’re ready to proceed at any time.” Nerto affirmed.

“And we’re just about ready to take over the broadcast and give Shenshirine the spotlight.” Nasaak stated.

“And when will that be?” Viska asked.

“Oh, I’d say in a minute or so.” Sierg stated as he took a swig from a flask. “I do believe they’re about to announce the verdict.”

------------

The Naran Capital…

Haykin rose from his seat from the podium and addressed the guilty party.

“Garres Lorcras… Vexor Lorcras… you stand before us accused of plotting… and murdering Emperor Shenshirine, as well as being responsible for the deaths of millions of civilians due to the destruction of the former capital. Furthermore, you are also accused of plotting a coup d’etat. These are very serious charges, and the evidence compiled against you is quite substantial. How do you plead?”

“We… plead guilty.” Garres and Vexor said without any sign of emotion on their face, even though they was screaming inwardly.

Damn it! We’re innocent! We didn’t do it!”

It can’t end like this! We’re being sentenced to a crime we didn’t commit!

“I see.” Haykin said as maintained his composure, and inwardly grinned. “So you admit to the charges and will not contest them?”

“We will not.” Both the former rulers of Sath replied.

“Very well then. If you will not contest the accusations, then there is no need to prolong the reading of the verdict. Garres Lorcra and Vexor Lorcra… you are both found to be…”

At that point, all the magic-wave viewers suddenly cut out and showed static for a moment. And then all the screens showed the image of a single person.

“Hello, Haykin… my friend.

At that point, you could imagine that the entire continent went silent as they beheld their supposedly dead ruler speaking to them.

Haykin, who was completely shocked at the sight of his Emperor, but quickly composed himself as he spoke. “E-Emperor Shenshirine! You’re alive! How?!”

“Indeed. I am very much alive. I survived the attempt upon my life, no thanks to you.”

“W-What are you saying? I had nothing to do with your assassination… er, I mean attempted assassination! In fact, I was about to pass judgement on the ones behind the plot!”

“Really? And here I thought I was speaking to the one who plotted to kill me and take over my kingdom?” Shenshirine folded his arms.

“WHAT?!”

“Oh, I am quite aware of your schemes, Haykin. Though I am rather annoyed at myself for not realizing your duplicity until after my capital was destroyed! And don’t you think I don’t have enough evidence to send you to the gallows!”

“W-What are you saying?!” The Prime Minister shouted out in disbelief. “I have been your loyal servant for centuries!”

The elderly Emperor shook his head. “No, you’ve been nothing, but a hidden traitor, who has been biding his time all these years. The future well-being of Naran had never been your concern. Your only concern was to further the goal of the Dreanat, namely the resurrection of Euracon. That’s always been the goal of the Dreanat, Prime Minister Haykin, or should I say… NUMBER ONE?

“WHAT?!”

Shenshirine held up a very large stack of documents, and then showed off the first page. All the screens zoomed in and showed Haykin’s signature and the secret Dreanat codes.

“You were very sloppy, when you thought I was dead, weren’t you?” Shenshirine wagged a withered index finger. “It didn’t take much to collect documentary, video and audio evidence to prove your intention to kill me, take over the kingdom, and have the Dreanat use the kingdom’s resources to rebuild Euracon.”

“W-Where did you get… “ The would-be emperor’s voice trailed off as he realized it. “Free Land! You had Free Land help you, didn’t you?!”

“Very good, Number One. After I came to the Alder Continent, the Council of Prime Directors became very good hosts, and they were quite suspicious of your actions after you thought I had perished during that debacle with Deriaton One. And I certainly did not order for those Cryterian circuits to be implanted into Deriaton Two and Three! And yes, I have proof that you ordered that. So, during the time in which those three mutated ships came about, Free Land had dispatched quite a few operatives, (with my permission of course), to gather enough evidence. And I was quite displeased with your covert actions during my absence. Especially with this hare-brained scheme of using the former rulers of Sath as your scapegoats for my supposed death.”

“So… you know it all, don’t you?”

“So, you no longer deny it?”

“Since you already have such overwhelming proof, there is no more reason.” Haykin said with a sarcastic sneer.

“I will not let you take my throne!”

“If I cannot take the throne by trial, then I will simply take it by force!” He held up a small, multicolored crystal and broke it, causing a mystic signal to be emitted.

“And what was that?” Shenshirine asked with concern.

“I believe the Free Landers call it, Plan B?” The former Prime Minister said with confidence. “Over the years, I have long since had Dreanat agents infiltrate the entire government and military of Naran. I had also built up secret armies as well. I have just given the order for them to take control and to begin seizing key locations and facilities. In less than an hour, I will have full control over the entire continent! You cannot stop me!”

At that moment, several doors around the main courtyard opened up and dozens of armed guards and Free Land soldiers burst in and aimed their weapons directly at Haykin.

“WHAT IS THIS?” Haykin demanded as he found himself staring down the barrels of several AC-MAG Pulse rifles.

In the air, four Star Hawks equipped with holographic camouflage technology, appeared hovering in the high above them. Several more Free Land soldiers appeared around the surrounding walls overlooking the main courtyard.

“Oh, did I forget to mention? In addition to having Free Land investigate things for me, they have also decided to… how do they say it? Oh yes, nip your plans in the bud? All your secret armies are now being neutralized.”

----------

The Vortaga Mountain Range…

“That just about does it.” Jerry stated as his Star Gladiator approached the now destroyed secret Magic-Mech facility. His subordinates also approached the devastation in their Battle-Mechs. One particular mecha brandished a more sophisticated Beam weapon that was a compact version of an anti-proton gun found on battleships.

“As I said, it only took one shot in that area to bring it all down.” O’Laren stated.

----------

“Wow! Those guys folded pretty fast!” Sargeant Rockston commented as he and his subordinates directed several dozens of surrendering operatives towards a detainment area. All around the area were the broken and smoking wreckages of the Magic-Mechs that had been patrolling the sector.

Despite being grossly outnumbered, the six Scrappers literally curb-stomped the forty Magic-Mechs, despite their enhancements. As far as Commander Kraits and his men were concerned, the new machines weren’t even a light workout. Mass-produced civilian models of the Gigaran, piloted by rookies, would have been more challenging.

----------

“That’s the signal! Turn them on!”

“Magic disrupters… online!”

“I’m reading a ninety percent drop in magical emissions… ninety-five… ninety-eight… ninety-nine… we now have total magical deactivation across the boards!”

All across the Kingdom of Naran, the Dreanat forces found themselves already being deprived of their weapons and strength as Free Land’s operatives pounced upon them. In his arrogance, Haykin had not counted upon the Star Alliance sending in to Vados, men and material over the past few weeks during and after the battle with the three Pseudo-Planet Ravagers.

----------

The Naran Capital…

“You will find no allies this day, traitor!” Shenshirine stated confidently. “Dreanat forces are falling all over Naran! And now, we take its head! Guards… seize him!”

Men who were loyal to him advanced upon the treacherous former Prime Minister. Free Land soldiers also started moving forward. As soon as they were within fifty feet of him, Haykin threw out his arms and released dozens of tiny black pellets, which all expelled huge clouds of smoke. They obscured all sight as Haykin pushed a hidden button on the podium, causing a small trapdoor to appear before him. He started to move towards it to make his escape.

However, this was not to be. The smoke may hide from normal eyes and even magical senses, but it was not enough against the HUD visors of the Free Land fighters. Several of them used their bio-scanners and infra-red emitters to pinpoint Haykin and started firing stun bolts. The former subordinate of Shenshirine cried out in pain and fell backwards unconscious.

High above, the Star Hawks used their ventral ion-thrusters to clear away the clouds of darkness. Once they were dispersed, everyone saw Haykin’s unmoving body as it had been a mere foot away from the hidden escape trapdoor.

-----------

Dec 27th, 15 AE…

“Well now, Emperor Shenshirine… how does it feel to be sitting on your throne again?” Benjamin asked as he and the rest of the Prime Directors conversed with him, via holographic-transmission uplink.

“Well… to be honest… “The elderly elf shifted a bit on his throne. “I rather miss the seats in the Prime Director Council Chambers. Those were the most comfortable chairs I’ve ever sat on.”

“We could remodel your throne to something similar, if you like.” Nerto suggested.

“That would be something to be considered.”

“So how are things in Naran?” Anida asked.

“The last remnants of the Dreanat infiltrators have been captured or expelled from my country. What’s left of that organization has gone into hiding. Even though we had captured and later executed Number One, it seems that like the mythical hydra, the Dreanat has many heads. I fear that given time; they will begin to rise again.”

 

“Very unfortunate.” Nasaak remarked before changing the subject. “And what of the former rulers of the Sath?”

“They have been… what was that term again? Ah yes, they have been fully detoxified of all those drugs and spells, but that is not the last of their worries.”

“Such as?” The Nemonean Director asked.

“I can answer that for you.” The Dwarven Director said. “Even though they have been cleared of all assassination and plot charges in Naran; Garres and Vexor still have to answer for those two hundred-plus dwarves that they had kidnapped and forced into labor.”

“Ouch! So, what’s the usual penalty for such crimes?” The Terran Director asked.

“My people prefer to let the punishment fit the crime.” Sierg stated. “Since they took away those dwarves’ freedom and forced them into slave labor, they’ll be getting their freedom taken away and forced to do labor. And I mean very hard labor.

“Let me guess.” Nassak said. “A very long stint in the mines?”

“Yep. I think they’ll be doing about 10-15 years of hard labor. And it won’t be one of those mines that have Dwarven mechs or Free Land tools. It’ll all be manual with pick, axe, and shovel.”

“Well, now that things have finally settled down and with the new year approaching, I hope that we will have a time of peace for a long while.” Nerto said with confidence.

----------

Jan 2nd, 16 AE…

“I know, I know… I just had to jinx it.” The Velor Director sighed.

The other Prime Directors could only sigh as well as they watched a very disturbing scene on the main holo-viewer.

“We are the Everlasting Conquest Fleet of Kryte! And we hereby announce the annexation of your pitiful lands! Kneel before our power!”

To be continued…

 

 

 

1