Chapter 39
888 6 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Star People

Chapter 39

Nearing the Endgame

Feb 15th, 13 AE, Day Five of Operation Star Point

0950 hours, Verracot City, some two hundred miles south of the Zedan Capital…

The occupation of one of the key industrial hubs of the Zedan infrastructure went smoother than expected. After a brief battle, the Zedan forces had surrendered with minimal casualties on their side and practically none on the Free Land side. It was almost apparent from the start that they had no chance against the enormous technological gap between themselves and the Star Alliance. It was only due to the sheer innate stubbornness of a few Zedan officers that there was a battle to begin with.

The artillery was immediately silenced and all armored and infantry units were neutralized within the first minute of combat. After seeing their tanks destroyed and their soldiers routed, the remaining Zedan forces saw no other option but to surrender. After waving the white flag, Naran and Free Land troops entered into the city to occupy it.

For the magical technology troops of Naran, it was again mortifying that they played little to no part in the conquest of Zedan territory with Free Land doing all the heavy-lifting. It was if they were little more than spectators, which technically speaking they were. Very few of the soldiers had been able to fire their magical rifles, which were similar in design to the Springfield 1903 Bolt-Action rifle. The projectiles were fired using an enchanted mechanism which was invoked by working a manual bolt after each pull of the trigger. As a result, each projectile did not contain its own powder charge, but were propelled by the infusion of magic. Each rifle had an effective range of 400 yards and fired ammunition similar to 7.7mm rounds. Previously, they had been seen as the most advanced small arms a soldier could have on the battlefield and was head and shoulders above any flintlock or musket designs of the time.

Then Free Land showed up and blew that notion out of the water. Their advanced projectile and energy-beam small arms made the magical rifle look outdated and primitive. Furthermore, the Star Alliance had taught both the Empire of Sath and the Kingdom of Atlans how to manufacture the M1 Garand Rifle.  A semi-automatic weapon obviously had the edge against a bolt-action version. It had greater range, accuracy, more firepower and allowed a soldier to fire off 8 shots in less than 20 seconds before reloading. General George S. Patton didn’t call it ‘the greatest battle implement ever designed,’ for nothing.

And it wasn’t just the rifle that the magical soldier was lagging behind in. Versions of the Colt Model 1911 and the Walther P38 were also being manufactured by the Sath and Naran, due to blueprints and manufacturing processes provided by Free Land. The semi-automatic pistol made the revolver design obsolete. And there was a new-fangled weapon that recently appeared that made the Naran magical gunsmiths scratch their heads.

The submachine gun.

For the most part, the machine gun was seen as a large and cumbersome weapon that a single soldier couldn’t carry into battle. Once it was stationed at a certain location, it usually stayed there. Even the Zedan soldier was restricted to bolt-action-type rifles. To actually see a single soldier charging and firing off a rapid-fire stream of bullets at an enemy was nothing but a pipe dream.

That was until Free Land introduced the M3A1 Grease Gun to the Sath and Naran.

The weapon was both ugly and simple-looking. It seemed to be made from crudely-stamped sheet metal and was cheap. And that was the beauty of the weapon. It could be manufactured quickly and with low cost. And once it made its debut on the battlefield in the hands of Atlans soldiers, no one questioned its effectiveness. Its range was only good for a hundred feet or so, but that was just fine for what it was intended for; close-combat. A single soldier could lay down a large volume of covering fire and allow his squad to move to a more advantageous position. And Zedan soldiers saw what a hail of .45 caliber bullets did to a person. Whenever they heard that chattering sound, they immediately ducked for cover.

In terms of naval ships, aircraft and land forces, Free Land reigned supreme while the Kingdom of Naran was falling further behind. And it didn’t help matters that the Star Alliance was also advancing nations like the Empire of Sath and the Kingdom of Atlans, to a degree that would rival Naran. This would only fuel the resentment that was growing within the magical nation.

----------

In a secret location in the Zedan capital…

“So this is it?” Major Vero asked as he looked upon an ordinary briefcase on top of the conference table.

“Yes, that’s it.” General Himro confirmed. “This will be our only chance for Operation Kilgari to succeed. There’s enough explosive in that case to take out a two story house.”

“Won’t that endanger those who are innocent?”

“Do not worry. Those who will be caught in the blast will include only the Grand Leader and those who are still loyal to him.”

“Still, I cannot believe that we are actually going to go through with this.”

“It is our only option.” Himro then gestured to the other officers and high-ranking officials gathered at the secret conference. “We have all agreed.”

“And after the deed is done… what then?”

“We will take total command and immediately send out the order for a total ceasefire. Once our forces have stopped fighting, then we will contact Free Land to begin negotiations… for surrender.”

“I cannot believe that we have been pushed to such measures. In our long history of Zedan, there has never been an instance of surrender.”

“Considering the alternative, we will be annihilated if we continue to follow the Grand Leader’s mad plan to fight to the last man.”

----------------

1150 hours, the bridge of the Missouri

“You want the Missouri to head to the Zedan capital?” Captain Delan asked as he received a high-priority message from the Council of Prime Directors and General Kurdo.

“Both the Council and the Supreme Commander of Operation Star Point have agreed to bring this war to an end.” Benjamin stated. “We’re thinking that a display of the Missouri’s pulsar guns should be enough to convince the Zedan to surrender.”

“Just like what we did with the Empire of Sath?”

Kurdo shrugged his shoulders. “It’s been my experience that warmongering cultures like Zedan and the Sath only understand force. So give ‘em all nine barrels, Captain Delan. And I’m not talking about the kinetic shells. You have full permission to deploy anti-proton beams.”

“We’ve already selected a target for the anti-proton guns to fire at. We’re certain that after a display of the Missouri’s firepower, the Zedan government will realize the futility of continuing this war.” Anida added.

“And if they don’t surrender?” The Missouri’s captain asked. “Unlike the Sath, we don’t have a possible alternative to replace the leader of the Zedan government.” Mark was of course referring to Lexina and her coup d’état.

“Actually, we do have an alternative.” Nerto pointed out. “We’ve just received an encoded message from one of the high-ranking generals of the Zedan military; General Himro. It seems that most of the upper brass and the rest of the government are unsatisfied with the Zedan emperor’s rule and intend to remove him from power. They assure us that they will surrender after Operation Kilgari.”

“Kilgari? Wasn’t that the name of the battleship that the Missouri fought a duel with?”

“Indeed.” Kurdo confirmed. “It looks like they intend to honor General Rommet’s sacrifice.”

“How reliable is this information?” Reelan asked.

“We’ve confirmed the authenticity with some of the high-ranking POWs we have. They all recognized the voice of General Himro and they all agreed that the plan to remove the emperor and surrender is the best option.”

“This won’t be a simple takeover.” Viska stated. “This will be an assassination.”

“Assassination?” Harken repeated. “Normally, those are messy affairs, and don’t end well.”

“For the Zedan, it appears to be their only option.” The Terran Prime Director said. “The Zedan emperor seems to have some fanatical followers among the military. General Himro intends to take out not only the emperor, but also those who are loyal to him.”

“And we’re going to let them attempt it?” Mark asked. “That doesn’t set right with me.”

“We agree that it makes us all uncomfortable, but we must look at it from a more practical viewpoint.” The Kyteeri Prime Director said. “At the rate this war is progressing, the Zedan infrastructure, economy and even the entire continent will be more devastated than the Empire of Sath was. Yes, we must punish the Zedan for starting this war, but we cannot let the civilian population suffer for the actions of their military and government. If we must choose between the deaths of a few dozen and the annihilation of an entire civilization, then the choice becomes clearer.”

“Furthermore, this is a Zedan matter and we have no jurisdiction over their affairs.” The Velor Prime Director stated. “In any case, the assassination operation is already underway and we cannot stop it.  In any case, you have your orders, Captain Delan. The Missouri is to move out immediately.”

“We have also decided to let the 110th Destroyer Flotilla accompany you.” Naasak stated. “Captain Vikes and the others have already been notified and will rendezvous with the Missouri at Delta 4-7 at 1300 hours. Is that understood?”

“Understood. Delan out.”

After signing off, Mark addressed his navigator and helmsman.

“Taichen! Lay in a course for Delta 4-7! Gatsbu! Bring us up!”

“Aye, Sir!” Both ensigns acknowledged simultaneously.

----------

On the beach known as Omaha, infantry, engineers, pilots and POWs all looked toward the Missouri was stationed at. For those who were used to seeing such things, it was just a simply takeoff. For the Zedan POWs, it was akin to seeing a miracle!

The mighty ion drives glowed with an intense light in the rear, causing the water to steam and bubble. Then to the astonishment of all those who were not used to seeing a Free Land warship rise up out of the water…

“IT’S FLYING! IT’S ACTUALLY FLYING!”

“FREE LAND HAS FLYING BATTLESHIPS?!”

“GIANT METAL SOLDIERS… JETS THAT FLY FASTER THAN OURS… AND NOW, FLYING BATTLESHIPS?!”

“WE HAVE NO HOPE AGAINST FREE LAND!”

----------

1230 hours…

In a secret location near the Zedan Capital…

“So you have sent the message to the Free Land Forces about our plot to assassinate the emperor?” Major Vero asked.

“We are now committed to this action. There’s no turning back at this point.” Himro stated. “Once the emperor and his most loyal followers are dead, there will be chaos. We will need to act quickly and take control during that time of instability. We need to show Free Land that we are willing to surrender once the Grand Leader is gone.”

“It seems that in order to save our country, we must betray the supreme leader of our country.”

“Such is war. And so we as military men must make the best plan to save that which we have sworn to protect; our homeland.”

----------

1245 hours, the bridge of the Missouri

“Captain, the Johnston has just signaled that the 110th Destroyer Flotilla will be within visual range in 5 minutes.” Lieutenant Visera announced.

“It will be good to see Captain Vikes again.” Reelan remarked as she enjoyed a cup of tea.

“Yes, I still owe him a round at the Starlight Bar.” Mark smirked as he remembered the last time he and the Johnston’s commander had gotten together off-duty.

“Captain.” Harken spoke out.

“What is it?”

“We have been receiving some complaints from our Atlans and Naran allies.”

“Complaints? What kind?”

“Both nations have been complaining that we have been destroying Zedan technology without giving them a chance to study it.”

“It’s too dangerous for either nation to get a hold of the more advanced weaponry of Zedan. Getting even one jet fighter, a rocket weapon, or Heaven forbid, the plans to an atomic bomb, is one genie I’d like to keep in its bottle for a long time.”

“I can understand wanting to prevent an arms race between nations,” Mark’s First Officer concurred, “though I’m a little puzzled as to why they would want the Zedan technology, especially when we gave them several new advancements before Operation Star Point began. I would think they would be satisfied with those.”

“With a technology-hungry nation like Atlans, they’re never satisfied.”

“But we gave them the plans for the F-86 Sabre jet, did we not? Why would they want to study an older model, when they have the more advanced version?”

“Just remember that Atlans is still at the starting gate when it comes to jet technology. Studying a simpler Zedan jet will allow them to understand the principles of the F-86’s schematics faster. Plus after seeing how Zedan put together their jet, they’ll get the basics of how to put the F-86 faster as well. In addition to monitoring the level of technology of the other nations will achieve, we also want to control the rate at which they advance. If they advance too fast when they’re not mentally and morally ready for it, then that could end badly for them and us in the future.”

“I see your point. And what about Naran?”

“The Council believes that the Kingdom of Naran is involved in this war out of pride and resentment.”

“Pride and resentment?”

“Before the Star Alliance arrived on this world, the Kingdom of Naran was considered the strongest and the most influential and advanced nation on the planet.” Harken surmised. “I’ve been reading the world economy reports and Naran has experienced a substantial reduction in terms of exports. On the other hand, there is a huge demand to import products from Free Land. Our products and technology are simply better.”

“I can see how our presence is hurting Naran’s finances.” The Kyteeri First Officer nodded. “Is that the main reason for the resentment?”

“It’s a big reason, but not the main one.” Mark amended. “Naran was too used to being the nation that other countries looked up to. Naran was the one with the best technology, the strongest armed forces and the most influence. Then we came along and unintentionally knocked them off the top spot. The Council believes, and so do I, that the Kingdom of Naran is using this war as an excuse to show their might. Remember that debacle with Deriaton One?”

“Ah, now I can see where the pride factor comes in.”

Deriaton One represented the pinnacle of Naran’s magic-technology and it really hurt their egos when it performed so poorly at Sword Beach. I’m thinking that they want advanced Zedan technology in order to bolster their magical technology. In any case…”

“Captain!”

“What is it, Lieutenant?”

“The One Hundred Tenth Destroyer Flotilla has just arrived.”

“On screen.”

“Yes, Sir!”

The main holo-viewer lit up with the face of Captain Vikes as he sharply saluted. Mark, Reelan and Harken saluted back.

“Captain Vikes, I trust you and your crew are well?” Mark greeted.

“Good to see you and everyone on the Missouri too.” John greeted back.

“Captain!” Ensign Taichen called out.

“What is it, Ensign?” Mark asked.

“I’m getting a large signal approaching our position. This one is psion-based.”

John Vikes let off a sigh before speaking. “I suppose I should have informed you sooner, but we have an uninvited… guest coming along with us.”

“A guest?”

“More like a pest. She insisted on going along with us to the capital and force the Zedan to surrender.”

“She?”

At that moment, the area near the 110th Destroyer Flotilla and the Missouri, shimmered with a bright light as a huge, triangular-shaped vessel appeared from over the horizon. When it came into view, there was a mutual feeling of disgust and annoyance among the commanders of the star battleship and the vanguard destroyers. Then the main holo-viewer displayed the face of a certain dark elf captain as she saluted.

“Captain Retora of the Deriaton One, reporting for the subjugation of the Zedan capital!”

Mark could only salute back and nodded. Inside, he felt a very bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

To be continued…

 

 

7