Chapter 65
221 3 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Star People

Chapter 65

The Guest

Oct 24th, 15 AE…

The Council of Prime Directors…

“The latest reports state that the last of the Mechanoids have been cleared out.” Benjamin announced. “In accordance to General Order Seventy-Five, not a single scrap of Cryterian circuitry or component is left on the planet. Even the Kingdom of Naran has complied.”

“Well, it’s good to know those hotheads in Naran finally wised up.” Nasaak stated with a bit of irritation. “Considering that they were the ones who started the Planet Ravager mess in the first place.”

“Now, now, let’s not do any finger-pointing.” Anida chided. “The Kingdom of Naran may have not inserted those Cryterian circuits into their battleship if they had known about General Order Seventy-Five.”

“I’m still pointing a finger at them. They would have known about General Order Seventy-Five if certain somebody hadn’t cut all ties with us. And that still complicates things with our current situation.”

Nerto lef off a tired sigh. “Yes, yes… we are all aware. Speaking of Naran, what’s the latest reports?”

“According to what the diplomats have told us,” The Catian Director said as he read a file from his console. “The perpetrators to Emperor Shenshirine’s untimely demise are none other than the former rulers of the Empire of Sath, Garres Locra and his son, former Prince Vexor. Apparently, they were the ones behind the attack on the capital city by sabotaging Deriaton One.” He let off a snort of disdain. “Like I believe that pile of Mud Whomper excrement!”

“So you don’t think that it’s possible that the former rulers of the Sath are capable of such a crime?” Viska asked.

“I’m in agreement with Director Nasaak.” Sierg concurred. “Garres and Vexor don’t strike me as being particularly smart enough to be the masterminds. They’re not the sharpest tools in the forge, if you get my meaning.”

“It is a possibility that they could be behind it.” The blue-skinned female Director suggested. “They do have the drive and ambition. Not only that, but they do have the plans to the Steel Soldiers.”

“Ordinarily, that might be considered.” The Velor interjected. “It it weren’t for a certain guest we’ve been entertaining for a few weeks now?”

“Yes, I suppose you’re right.” Anida nodded. “And I believe that we should bring our guest out of hiding now.”

“So be it.” Ben concurred. “All in favor?”

Everyone raised their hands, making it unanimous. There was no need to ask if anyone was opposed.

Benjamin nodded as he reached for his console and tapped a communication access icon.

“Lieutenant Forgert? Could you please bring our illustrious guest and his entourage to the Conference Chamber?”

-----------

A few minutes later…

“Welcome back to the Conference Chamber, Emperor Shenshirine. I trust that you’ve been enjoying Free Land’s hospitality?” The Terran Director asked.

The elderly elf ruler of Naran nodded. “Yes, I must say that the citizens residing here want for nothing. You have been a most gracious host.”

For the last few weeks, he and his aides have been subjected to the most wondrous of sights, foods, comforts and conveniences. As much as he hated to admit it, residing in Free Land made the standard of living in Naran seem primitive, even in the Royal Palace. Any want or desire, (within reason) was fulfilled without delay or complaint. It was a land of unimaginable wealth and plenty. Crime was almost non-existent, and general order was impeccably maintained.

The level of scientific technology was so overwhelming that it boggled the 3,000 plus-year-old emperor. He had always believed that Naran was the most technologically advanced nation in the world, at least in terms of magictech. However, Free Land’s hyper-advanced technology made the best of Naran’s products look like child’s play. There was virtually nothing in Naran that could not be obtained scientifically in the Star Alliance.

He had also observed several cases of advanced magitech, particularly with the dwarven residents. He had been given a secret tour of a dwarf manufacturing facility in New Pearl Harbor. In that particular factory, the diminutive people were busy mass-producing a new type of watercraft. There was no need for sails or paddles. This small boat was propelled by using the principles of jet propulsion and Dwarf Runes, all inscribed with the Binary Rune System and nanotech lasers.

The vessel was highly efficient, and quite agile. He had seen them demonstrate the vehicle on the open waters and could already see how useful such a craft could be, both in civilian and military fields. It was amazing. The dwarves had only joined the Star Alliance less than a year ago and they had already achieved a level of technological mastery far above that of Naran’s. Back in Shenshirine’s country, they were still trying to figure out the hydrofoil plans that Free Land had given to them.

It had been one surprise after another, ever since the Royal Palace had been destroyed…

----------

Flashback…

July 3rd, 15 AE…

“Emperor Shenshirine! We’ve just received a message from Captain Retora to begin Heaven’s Journey!” An aide cried out.

“WHAT?!” Shenshirine exclaimed as turned towards where Deriaton One was participating in the demonstration of military might with the other nations. His blood ran cold as he saw the Kraister Guns of the mystic warship begin rotating towards the capital city Vartelles, particularly aiming at the Royal Palace.

As the weapons began to charge up, the aide, along with several of his coworkers, immediately pulled the Emperor from the balcony and rushed him towards the back of his chambers. A secret door opened up and the ruler of Naran was roughly pushed inside, followed by his personal servants. The door slammed shut just the Kraister Guns opened fire.

Twin beams of mystical, destructive power lanced out and struck the castle dead center. The entire capital city lit up with a blinding light, just before a massive explosion enveloped the castle and expanded like a star going nova. Anyone and anything within the immediate blast radius was vaporized. Buildings and other structures in the vicinity were either melted or incinerated by the intense heat, or they were decimated by the massive shockwave that followed the blast.

Citizens that were in or near the epicenter were given quick and relatively painless deaths as they were instantly disintegrated. People who were further away would suffer slower and much more painful deaths as they were mutilated, burned alive or crushed to pieces. In just under a few seconds, Vartelles ceased to exist as a city and became a gigantic, smoldering crater.

Nothing had survived the destruction… except for a single chamber.

----------

 More than a quarter-kilometer below the surface, beneath hundreds of thousands of tons of rubble, ash and remains of all who had lived in the Naran capital, a large room with an intricate spell circle drawn into its floor, had evaded the destruction the once glorious city.

This was the start of Heaven’s Journey; the emergency escape route of the Naran Royalty.  No one but members of Shenshirine’s line and his closest confidants knew about it. Not even Prime Minister Hayken was aware of it. The Emperor and his six aides had just managed to slide down the escape chute to the transport chamber located underneath the castle. The walls of the chamber had been fortified with several layers of mithril, orihalcum and even adamantite. As a result, it was able to mostly withstand the worst of the blast. Unfortunately, the escape chute was obliterated, leaving Shenshirine and his entourage seemingly trapped inside.

Part of the ceiling did collapse and Shenshirine sustained a broken left arm when a large chunk of debris slammed into it. His aides also suffered injuries of varying degrees, but managed to survive as well. However, the elderly, yet still spry elf had no intention of dying that day. He had a way out. There was a reason why this chamber had been created so far deep below the surface. It was sitting on top of a huge vein of mithril and mana stones.

Unlike regular magic gems and stones, mana stones were far more purified and potent in terms of absorbing and projecting magic and psion fields. They were actually the remains of large, mythical monsters that had existed during the First Ones, and were destroyed during the Great Disaster. As result, their magic stones had been accumulating mystical energy for over 5,000 years. With so much power available, Shenshirine could make use of another mighty artifact.

The Divine Gate of Naran.

Normally, it would require an incredibly huge amount of magical power to charge up the Gate and allow for its usage. However, the vein of mithril and mana stones was enough to do the job. The main problem was to transmit that power to the Gate in order to activate it. Therefore, Shenshirine had secretly contracted the greatest magic-users in Naran to aid him to create the magic circle on the floor of the hidden chamber. They would use the mystic circle to open a portal and connect to the Divine Gate, thereby allowing them to escape the now ruined capital.

In a way, the Kingdom of Naran had created a mystical version of Free Land’s Hyper Gate.

The Naran Emperor knelt down in the center of the circle, paying no heed of the pain in his left arm. He began to quietly chant in an ancient language, as he worked his magic into the mystical runes and symbols. The hundreds of engravings resonated with the enormous flows of psions. After more than 20 minutes of nonstop chanting, the spell finally activated, enveloping all those present in a bright flash of light. When the light faded away, Shenshirine and his aides were gone, and the chamber began to break apart as the runes faded away after having so much magic pass through them.

Heaven’s Journey was a one-time spell and required all of Shenshirine’s personal magical reserves, as well as the motherlode of psions within the mana stones and mithril vein. The sheer amount of magical energy required for the spell made it viable only as a last resort. After one use, the runes needed to be redrawn and it would take at least 3 weeks for Shenshirine, the mithril vein and the mana stones to recover enough psion energy to attempt the spell again.

On the plus side, the spell not only allowed Shenshirine to travel to the Divine Gate, but also to use it to transport himself anywhere on Istaria, provided that he had a clear image of his destination. It would be a one-way trip. And there was only one place he could think of that he believed he could truly be safe while he recovered his magic reserves.

Free Land.

Shenshirine had never been there personally, but his ambassadors had brought back many photos and other pictures of the Alder Continent, as well as images of several Free Land cities. One such location was a very large port, where the mighty star battleship Missouri was docked.

New Pearl Harbor.

It was a mere photograph postcard that was sold to tourists, but the realistic and highly detailed image often fascinated the elderly elf. As a result, he had completely memorized the picture and used it as a focal point for where the exit portal would appear.

However, since Heaven’s Journey had not been used in millennia, Shenshirine was unaware of the certain side-effects of the spell.

----------

Sept 1st, 15 AE…

New Pearl Harbor, the bridge of the Missouri

“Captain, we have now successfully docked.” Ensign Gatsbu announced.

“Excellent job as always, Ensign.” Mark said as he and his First Officer rose from their seats. He addressed his third-in-command as he and Reelan left the bridge. “You’re in command, Harken.”

“Aye, Captain!” The Catian Lieutenant Commander saluted his superiors as they departed. “I hope you and the Commander have a good trip home!”

As soon as the hyper-lift doors closed behind them, the Kyteeri First Officer immediately turned toward her husband, looped her arms around his neck, pulled him close, and began a very deep and sensual kiss with him. Mark made no attempt to stop his wife’s sudden burst of affection, as they were technically alone, so he allowed this brief respite from military protocol. He even reached down to caress her posterior and briefly contemplated stopping the hyper-lift between decks. Ever since the appearance of the three fake Planet Ravagers, they had been on constant alert and had little time to themselves. This would be the first time in weeks that they would be allowed to go on shore leave.

After a moment of intense osculation, the blue-skinned woman reluctantly pulled away and assumed a more conserved stance. Her Terran spouse did so as well. There was a time and place for such things. At that moment, the hyper-lift stopped, and the doors opened up to allow them to exit and head down a passageway towards one of exit ramps. As they left the star battleship, they saw a bright column of light appear at the dock, just where the boarding ramp ended.

The sudden appearance of the pillar of light caught the attention of everyone in the immediate area. Both Mark and Relan reached for their sidearms as they approached the bottom of the boarding ramp. They, alongside everyone else present, including dock workers and other military personnel, were shocked to see the ruler of Naran and his entourage appearing before them as the light faded.

 Though his clothes were badly torn and dirty, along with a still broken left arm, Shenshirine calmly stood up, and nodded for his aides to do the same. He then looked up the ramp and recognized the captain of the Missouri.

“Captain Mark Delan of the battleship Missouri?”

Mark could only nod as he slowly lowered his pistol and took in the sight of a certain, former ruler of Naran; whom he and everyone else had assumed was dead.

“Forgive my abrupt and rather unannounced entry into Free Land, but I have a great need to speak to the rulers of this nation…” He then gestured to his broken arm as well as his aides, who were also sporting minor injuries. “… As well as getting proper medical attention. I have heard that Free Land is home to miraculous healers.”

----------

Twenty minutes later, at a nearby military medical facility…

“Amazing! Simply amazing!” Shenshirine remarked as he tested out his newly-healed left arm by moving it back and forth. “No chants… no magic stones… no runes… so this is what science is capable of?”

“It’s just some simple cellular regeneration and restructuring.” A Nemonean physician stated as he put away a small device into a nearby desk drawer. This was Major Willasen of the New Pearl Harbor Medical Corps. “Now let me take off that skeletal brace.” He reached out and tapped a control icon on a small input pad. The brace, which was simply a network of guidance wires that held the broken limb in proper alignment, became pliable and retracted off the arm into a small, circular disk. That was also removed and placed into the drawer. The winged doctor looked up at the readouts nearby as the elderly elf sat on the patient bench. “Yes, everything is in good order and you should be fine. I must say that I am quite impressed at your overall health for someone who is over 3 millennia. You take good care of yourself, Emperor Shenshirine.”

“Thank you. And what about my aides?”

“They’ve all been treated and have been given full bills of health. You’re the last.”

----------

Two hours later, in the Conference Chamber…

“What? It’s been a week since the attack?!” Shenshirine said in surprise once he was told of day’s date. He was sitting at the table in a guest seat and had just finished explaining how he and his group had managed to escape the Naran Palace’s destruction. “How can that be?” He wondered. “The last thing I remember was activating the spell for Heaven’s Journey, and we found ourselves on the dock in front of the Missouri!”

“Well, that’s today’s date.” Benjamin stated. “We don’t know the specifics of whatever spell you used to transport yourself to Free Land, but apparently the creators of that spell didn’t account for time dilation.”

“Time… dilation?”

“It’s a bit complicated to explain… but an Earth physicist named Einstein came up with the Theory of Relativity that when you approach the speed of light… time slows down.”

“I… don’t understand…”

“Well, we don’t expect you to immediately comprehend it.” Anida said in a comforting tone. “Let’s just call it a side-effect of the spell and leave it at that. Thanks to our ability to move faster-than-light and traverse hyperspace, time dilation is not an issue with us. However, we are intrigued that you were able to teleport beyond the distance limits of the Divine Gate.”

“You are?” Shenshirine perked up as his mind started to consider the possibilities. A nation that possessed something that Free Land was interested in, meant that it had a valid reason to apply for Star Alliance Membership. The Dwarf Nations were able to become members due to their Gate Magic, Dwarf Runes and Neo-Psion Reactor becoming the basis for the Teleportation Portal System or TPS. Would being able to greatly extend the range be enough to become a member?

However, his hopes were immediately dashed as Nasaak spoke up.

“Getting from Point A to Point B at a far greater distance is good and all, but we’ve already figured out the fundamentals. The theory is sound enough. We’re just working out the kinks to the Hyper-Gate.”

“Hyper-Gate? You mean… you’ve already discovered how to extend the range of the TPS?”

“Pretty much. We have more than sufficient power to do so and don’t need to rely on a large cache of mithril and mana stones like you did. We’re just now experimenting and making adjustments.”

Shenshirine’s heart sank as he heard this.

After being betrayed and nearly assassinated by his own Prime Minister, the 3,000-plus-year-old elf had to take a step back and reconsider his prior, heavy-handed attitude towards the Star Alliance. Oh yes, he was quite aware of Haykin being a traitor. He had been suspecting Haykin’s duplicity for a while now. He had already been noticing some red flags when Haykin goaded him into accusing the Star Alliance of stealing the technology of the Divine Gate and the Steel Soldiers. The Prime Minister telling the Council that Shenshirine had authorized the induction of the Cryterian circuits into Deriaton Two and Three had been the clincher. The emperor had never authorized such an operation, but he was nearly 100% certain who did… Haykin.

With Shenshirine currently believed to be dead, Haykin didn’t have to watch his back as much, nor worry if his clandestine actions with the Dreenat might be discovered by the higher-ups in Naran’s government. Since Free Land had a dire situation with the three pseudo-Planet Ravagers at the time, the Council couldn’t do much about the leadership dilemma in Naran. Until the matter with the Planet Ravagers was settled, Shenshirine and his group of servants would have to be their guests and reside on the Alder Continent in secret.

----------

End of flashback…

“Now that the Planet Ravager situation has been dealth with, do you have any plans on what to do about Prime Minister Haykin?” Nerto asked.

The Emperor took on a thoughtful expression while stroking his chin. “I might have a few ideas…”

To be continued…

4