5.Paltry Winnings
33 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Grandmaster continued his work. He was obsessed with the new formula I had given him.

"I must say, I have met quite a few people who have wandered so far as to come from the Belti isles, your accent does not seem to fit."

It seemed the master alchemist wasn't very trusting. He was also right. I had made no attempt to hide my accent. I figured taking on my past as my new identity would be a good way that I wouldn't get anything mixed up. I had never been much good at lying.

My memory for books was unparalleled. My memory for anything I said or done was less so.

"I am originally from the capital. I was seeking information on my sister, who went missing off the coast of one of the smaller islands of Belti. I came back to make sure my mother was okay. I thought it was best to make use of the research I made in my travels."

He nodded at that before gesturing to a table near the door. I sat down as he began preparing a concoction for the two of us.

"It's called Irivins root. It's a great new potion that we have been working on. Helps greatly with muscle relaxation. After your travels, I would say you might need it."

Irivin's root not only worked to relax your muscles; it also relaxed your mind. Making you far more liable, to tell the truth. It could be beaten, though.

Since I pretty much was telling the truth any way I didn't have much to worry about. It was only if his questions got very esoteric that I might be in a little bit of trouble.

"I would appreciate a little more trust. I have come here and given you the formula to a potion that, when completed, will be able to revolutionize the alchemy world."

It was still only theoretical. I had only noticed the similarities between the two formulas before. I figured the solution for one would be able to translate over to the other. It was also the best way to get through the door. I had to hope I was right.

The master nodded at me, recognizing that I was at least semi-respectable as a fellow alchemist.

"This is the last step, my friend. We have a few rivals within the city who would be willing to pay quite a bit to see our downfall. We have to be careful at every step."

I drank down the potion. Its effects were immediate as I felt my body relax into the chair, and my mind clear.

"You won't have to for long. With the formulae I have in my head, we will be able to turn your lineage into the greatest one in the capital."

"Those are lofty words, you believe it, why choose us? Some academies and clans would be able to give you a lot more."

"Your shop helped me when no else was willing to give me the time of day. For that, I owe you guys everything. It is only right I pay you back."

His eyes calmed as I spoke. The potion had a similar effect on him. It was nice to be so frank in a conversation. I would be able to leverage this position to accomplish a lot before enrollment.

Reaching the ranks of Journeyman wouldn't be impossible before the entrance exam. I was confident I could reach the initiate rank myself very soon.

I would need help if I wanted to aim for any higher.

"Well, I'm glad our practices are generating some good. It has made us a lot of enemies. Our prices deviate from the norm. Even the district lord isn't very fond of us."

Their continued oppression from the district lord had been a great boon for their business among the lower classes and the outer rings. Their restriction to only sell potions below a certain quality took the Cilka business down an entirely new route.

"It doesn't matter what others think as long as you become the best. That is my goal. With the knowledge I have gained, I can make that happen for your practice as well."

"Tell me, Sir, what is your story truly, you do not seem aged. The journey between here and Belti would definitely leave a mark for anyone below the master level. Yet you appear before me, weak but unscathed."

"I am older than I appear. My journey was harsh and bitter. Still, I have had the luck to return here. Even I have no knowledge of what luck transpired behind my return. Nevertheless, I am happy to be back in a position where I can make a difference."

His smile widened.

An excited shout broke through our conversation.

I was bare witness to a grandmaster alchemist—someone who demanded respect wherever he went. Jump around in joy. The potion in his hand a swirling green. The formula still wasn't perfected. The exact quantities would surely be a little different. It had got him on the right track, however. Now it would all be about fine-tuning the result.

He came bounding over to us. He grabbed me by the arm and pulled me to my feet. He was shaking my hand vigorously in the process.

"Thank you, my boy, with this the family is saved."

I hadn't known the clan was in danger. They had lasted almost as long as the capital. I had never heard that they had any issues beyond feuds with rival families and alchemists.

His dance continued as he let go of me. The master's bemused smile spoke to the fact that this wasn't an unusual occurrence after a breakthrough. I appreciated his eccentricity.

"It is still far off the potency level it should be able to reach."

The Grandmaster waved off my concerns.

"All that requires is fine-tuning. You have done us a great service. You have our entire family at your disposal."

That was a bit of a surprising change. I hadn't expected it to mean that much to them.

I had simply seen it in the alchemy pavilion. They had been asking for help pretty openly, so I assumed it was only of minor interest to increase alchemy results. I didn't see the reason for them to put so much import on the potion.

The Grandmaster stared at his disciple for the second. They seemed to converse for an hour with their eyes. In truth, only a few seconds passed with a final nod from the master alchemist. The Grandmaster turned to me.

"I pledge on my soul and all the magic in my body that from now, you will have an honorary position in the clan."

Even with the Irivin's root in my system, they were overly trusting.

"Welcome to the Cilka clan, you, of course, can refuse. But we have made the decision that just for that formula alone, you deserve these rewards."

The Grandmaster took one of the rings off his fingers. I couldn't believe what was happening, those would be dimensional rings. I had never even got the chance to hold one before today. I was more excited about this than any of the other possible rewards.

His hands flashed quickly as he transferred items from one ring to another. He was filling it for what he thought was a suitable reward for the formula.

"I have included several contact rings as well in case you want to send a message to either of us about any formulas you wish to give. If you would give us time to prepare the proper EverFern potion, then we can move forward with any other ideas you might have."

After saying goodbye to the Grandmaster.

The master began leading me back down and out of the labs. I felt in a trance for a lot of it. I now had a dimensional ring. The unassuming band would never have matched any of the rings I had seen before, all enchanting and colorful on the hands of powerful mages.

Now I had one myself. Filled with, I could only assume was a bounty of treasure.

"Thank you very much for what you have given. We would love to chat with you far more about your ideas and formulae. For now, however, our focus is truly on the EverFern potion. We will probably try to contact you within a few weeks either way."

With those final words, he turned around and almost skipped back down the passage towards the labs. I was still in a daze as I left the shop. The busy district around me hadn't changed. Not one person on the street was aware of the monumental change that had just occurred in my life. I hurried out of the middle ring, back towards the house. I was ready to hole up and see what I had gotten from the Grandmaster. Beyond that, all I could do was meditate until I reached initiate and could start using potions to solidify my foundation.

2