Chapter 1: The Ordinary World
181 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The clock at the University of California Berkeley struck 11 am. A student quickly looks up and confirms the time on his cell phone. Quickly turning around from the vending machine and runs to his classroom. In his mind, he curses himself for deciding to make the trip to the vending machine and now he'll be late to class. He quickly gets over it though as he enjoyed the pop and being a few minutes late to his statistics class won't cause him to flunk out anytime soon. Minding his way with similar like-minded students he gradually became annoyed at his classmate's lack of urgency of being late to class, "You may not with to flunk out of this school, but I do!" he gruntand quickly pushes his way past them as if they weren't even there. Eventually making it to class right as the teacher was reaching the M's.

"Does anyone know if Aaryn Minyard was going to be absent today?" the teacher calls out to the class.

"I am here!" Aaryn breaths out walking into class.

"Oh you're lucky. I was about to mark you absent."

Aaryn nodded and simply took his seat in the back of the class and began taking notes. But his concentration was quickly broken when he noticed many of his classmates whispering to each other and looking downward. Thinking the teacher's lecture on The Poisson Distribution couldn't be that interesting he looked below to see what all the commotion is about.

Sitting at the front of the class Aaryn saw a well-dressed man, maybe a year older than him at most taking notes from the teacher and very clearly pretending to ignore all the attention around him. Aaryn silently gasped "That's Julian Iridione the Australian Actor! What's he doing here in America?" Aaryn's interest was peaked but went back to his notes, there would be plenty of time to think about later.

After class Aaryn briefly thought about saying hello but of course everyone else had the same idea and a blockade formed near the classroom door around Julian. A bunch of the girls surrounding him were asking tons of questions:

"How old are you Julian?" a lady asks

"Well ma'am I just happened to turn 20 recently," he responds.

"Are you single?" Another asks.

"Why yes I do happen to be single at the moment but I do hope that I can meet someone nice someday."

Some of the girls swooned at his comments, Aaryn rolled his eyes and began pushing past everyone, his brief moment of curiosity spoiled by the ego of this man.

As Aaryn pushed past everyone clogging the doorway he ran headlong into another man. The other man quickly apologized and moved past and Aaryn quickly turned to dismiss it but he was already lost in the crowd. "ow!" he suddenly exclaimed stepping on something really sharp, he moved his foot and saw an arrowhead on the ground, the tip pierced his shoe and foot and now blood was starting to trickle down. Swearing slightly Aaryn quickly picked up the arrowhead and looked around for the man he ran into, surely it was his and fell out when they ran into each other. But he was nowhere to be seen. Needing to get his foot bandage Aaryn quickly resigned himself to coming tomorrow to return it to the man.

Making his way out the door Aaryn patted his pockets to make sure everything was still there and put the arrowhead in his backpack so he wouldn't lose it. He was just about to walk to the nurse's room when he heard Julian's voice from the doorway, "Sorry about that mate. Looked like you hurt yourself stepping on something."

Aaryn quickly waved his hand, "No, it's nothing. Just ran into someone and accidentally stepped on a trinket of theirs that fell." he then turned and began walking to the nurse's office. Julian frowned, clearly unimpressed and pursued Aaryn, "Let me help you here. Want to keep pressure off the foot so it doesn't bleed more." He put himself under Aaryn's shoulder and began helping him to walk along the hallway.

Aaryn was surprised at first, he didn't expect a man with such an ego to single him out and help, "Uhhh...thanks but why?" 

"Because it pains me so to see a fan in pain! I must help them with whatever or else I just couldn't sleep at night!"

Aaryn gave a grunt, there it was...

The 2 walked to the nurse's office and Aaryn got his foot bandaged up. Julian was with him the whole time talking and getting to know him. Aaryn tolerated it as having a famous person hanging out with him would help boost his popularity. When they both left the office they walked down a hallway where there were no students and suddenly Julian sighed. "Oh thank god! I was so nervous back there! Do you think the nurse thought I was acting strange trying to help!? You are a well-built man! I'm sure you could've gotten there on your own but I just had to barge in! AAHhh!" Aaryn was stunned by the sudden shift in personality. Julian was now analyzing every interaction he had in the past hour. "Ah but...."

"Aaryn."

"Aaryn! I'm glad you understand the troubles and tribulations of living in this society! Lets go get lunch!" Aaryn just simply nodded his head. He guessed he could be entertained as well by this association, even if the actor was a bit...bizarre.

Aaryn and Julian ate their lunch before parting ways to their respective classes, making an agreement to meet again tomorrow before class. Aaryn didn't exactly know how he got himself into that agreement. Julian just kept talking about everything and suddenly he brought up plans to go explore the city the next day and Aaryn just agreed before really listening to what the man asked of him.

At the end of the day, Aaryn takes the bus back to his dormitory. Overlooking San Francisco bay it was a really nice view and he always thought himself so lucky to have gotten this room on the fourth floor. 

"Whats up Aaryn." his roommate says upon seeing Aaryn enter the dorm.

"Nothing much Evan," Aaryn replies, taking off his backpack and throwing himself onto his bed, and setting the trinket on his nightstand. "Hey did you know that the Actor Julian Iridione is going to this school?"

Evan laughs, "Of course I did. Most people knew by the first semester he transferred here. Even took a leave from acting to pursue his studies. Wait...did you not know?" 

Aaryn dismisses the giggling Evan, "No, I didn't, that's not the point though. I met him today during my stats class and I think he now thinks we are friends or something. He told me to meet him tomorrow near the math building to hang out around town for the day." he says moodily

At this, Evan turned around, "Really! Well lucky you! I wish I could've gotten an invitation by a famous actor to hang out with him! I know I definitely wouldn't sound all upset about it!" "I am not upset. He seems like a nice guy. Just a little...off. Is all I don't know what he'd have planned for the day." 

"Do you think I could come with you guys tomorrow? I'd love to get to know him! Think about my popularity with the ladies after that!"  Evan exhales.

Aaryn shrugs, "I don't see why not. He seems like the kind of person who'd enjoy the attention." he turns to face Evan and his eyes look over to the trinket.

Evan's eyes follow to where Aaryn is looking and picks up the trinket, it looks like a golden arrow tip with a beetle on the top, about as large as Evan's palm it makes for a nice piece of decoration, "Oh wow! Where did you get this?" he asks.

"A classmate dropped it by accident. I didn't get the chance to return it today so I'll just return it tomorrow. Try not to break it please." 

"Nah I won't break it. But I wanna know where I can get something like this! This looks cool as hell man!" Evan turns around back to his computer, fidgeting with the trinket and typing in descriptor words to attempt to locate the name of the object in question. It wasn't long though before Aaryn heard Evan quickly inhale, "ow!" he cried out. "What happened?" Aaryn says looking over. He sees the trinket fell on Evan's desk and Evan sucking his thumb, "I accidentally cut myself on it. Nothing too bad." He gets up to grab a band-aide. Aaryn sighs and brings the trinket back to his desk, away from any more hands.

The evening continues as Aaryn starts on homework, plays some video games, practices his coding, and calls his parents. When it's dark out Aaryn sits tossing in turning in bed. His eyes keep gazing at the trinket right next to him..."It really is cool." he thinks to himself before picking it up and deciding to examine it for himself. He gazes at the beetle, "A Rhinoceros Beetle", he doesn't know how he remembers what type of Beetle it is, years as a kid of wanting to study bugs and ancient creatures leave memories hard to forget he guesses. He flicks the top of the arrow and it gives off a soft ring. Setting it down back on the table he dozes off to sleep...

 

To be continued...

2