Chapter 2: Both Sides now pt. 1
171 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The morning arrives and Aaryn lazily gets out of bed to Evan's alarm clock. Turning it off for him as Evan makes a heroic, yet futile, attempt to wake up. Aaryn takes a shower and starts to get ready for the day. When he finished his shower and got dressed, Aaryn was surprised to see Evan still in bed, "Hey Evan you alright?"

"Ugh...dude I have a raging headache."

"Do you need me to grab you some painkillers?"

All Aaryn got was a solemn nod from Evan. So he went to grab some painkillers and a glass of water. On his way back he passed by the trinket. Aaryn, not wanting to forget it, quickly put it in his pocket, patting it a few times. After handing off the medicine Evan swallows it and takes a giant drink from the glass. Deciding that was what he needed to gather the motivation to get up and he starts getting ready for the day. While waiting for Evan to get ready Aaryn silently hopes that the man will be at class today. He didn't want the man to think he stole this obviously valuable arrowhead.

Walking to the math building Aaryn isn't surprised to find Julian loitering by the door with a couple of women around him. Noticing Aaryn, Julian quickly turns his attention to him and waves his hand "Hey ho Aaryn! Good Morning!" and pushes his way past the women. The women, suddenly not at his center of attention walk away defeated. Running up to Aaryn and Evan he claps Aaryn on the back, "Hey Julian. This my friend Evan. Is it alright if he joins us today?"

"Not at all! More the merrier!" Julian moves to shake Evan's hand. Now standing between them Julian begins discussing the plans for the day, "I have decided we shall go on a pizza run. I heard that the pizza in San Francisco is pretty good. So we are going to try all the places to definitively decide which one will be best. I rented a yacht for a couple of hours so I thought we could go out to do some swimming today as well! I tell you there are so many things to do and see in the city! I definitely want to take a trip to Alcatraz as well. But maybe we could save that for another day!"

"That all sounds great Julian," Aaryn replies as they near the statistics room. Saying goodbye to Evan and making a plan to meet after class Julian and Aaryn begin class.

Class today was mostly review so Aaryn decided to take a raincheck, noticing how Julian was still taking notes perhaps he could copy a couple of things after class. Eventually, his mind arrives at the trinket currently resting in his pocket and returning it to its original owner. After a moment he suddenly gasps! Quickly suppressing the urge to look if anyone heard he mentally slapped himself for his foolishness as he remembered that the class right afterward isn't held today! Aaryn cursed at himself and reached in his pocket for the arrow. When he felt around his pocket a much more vulgar curse came out of his mouth as couldn't feel it anywhere! He knew he picked it up that morning and put it in his pocket! Where could it be! How could he lose it! He quickly looked around his seat and gave a sigh of relief seeing it resting on the ground below. But, when he reached down to grab it he noticed that his hand swept right through it! He went at it a couple more times thinking he was going insane before sitting back up in his chair so he wouldn't arouse suspicion and tentatively grabbed his pencil and notebook. To his absolute dismay, he noticed that he picked them just fine! Truly he was going insane!

At this point Julian was looking over at him, "You doing alright mate?" he whispers. Aaryn simply nods as he sets his supplies down. Julian decides to not inquire further and turns back to the teacher. With that Aaryn quickly reaches down to grab the trinket and finds he can pick it up just fine suddenly. "Maybe I didn't get enough sleep last night," is all he thinks before putting it back in his pocket and deciding to actually listen for the rest of class.

After class Aaryn and Julian leave to the common room to meet with Evan and get on with their day. Today being their only class and Evan not having any classes today made things convenient. Walking together the rush of students leaving for the day on the lunch rush made them avoid the front doors and go out the back. Going out the back a dark-skinned man is kneeling, his back to them he is wearing normal jeans and a blue polo. He is muttering to himself about something, "What to do what to do what to do..." he quickly turns around to run somewhere but runs right into the group as they are walking out.

The man falls over and his glasses fall from his face. He quickly picks them up as Julian, Aaryn, and Evan are brushing themselves off. "oh oh! I am so terribly sorry I should've bee- ...you!" He suddenly shouts, pointing to Julian and Aaryn, quickly jumping back.

It takes Aaryn a moment to recognize the face of the man. It's the same one who dropped the arrow yesterday! But before he can say anything Julian steps in, "Stay back Aaryn and Evan! This man isn't to be trusted!" He himself went into a fighting position.

The man, spoke up, "Easy for you to say! Defending that thief who has stolen what was rightfully mine!"

Aaryn was about to speak up again over this clearly tense situation but Julian once again prevented any clarity, "You'd know something about common theft wouldn't you Alexander Baas?" Alexander smirked and adjusted his glasses as a metallic yellow...being comes up from behind him. It has a large dollar sign adorning its forehead, sunglasses on its eyes, and streaks of green going vertically down its body. Its mouth remains stoically neutral. Its whole appearance seemed to have a ghastly aura surrounding it, "I had no choice! You would've continued attempting to stop me otherwise!" He pulls out 2 marbles which are handed off to the being behind him, "It appears I'll have to beat you again to get that through your head!" He then looks at Aaryn and Evan, his face clearly giving away uncertainty about what to do with them but quickly changes to determination, "And then I will retrieve what is rightfully mine!"

The being behind Alexander then fired the marbles at incredible speed in opposite directions, Julian quickly turned around and yelled to Aaryn to Evan, "Take cover! He gonna-" he couldn't finish what he was going to say as the marbles suddenly changed direction mid-air and hit Julian in the ribs and arms. Julian yelled in pain as he fell to the ground. Aaryn and Evan watched in shock, wondering how the marbles could've switched directions like that, what Julian and Alexander were talking about, and what that thing behind Alexander was! This gave Alexander time to launch another 2 marbles directly at them, they quickly dodged to the side as their fighting instincts kicked in. But such instincts didn't prepare them for getting hit by another 2, unseen, marbles. Evan was hit in the head and Aaryn was hit in the chest. Both were brought to the ground. "Sorry guys! He fired 2 marbles to the side and swapped their momentum with the ones heading for you so when you dodged, they were going directly at you and not to the side!"

All Aaryn could think to respond at that moment was, "What is behind Alexander Julian!?"

"You can see his Stand! I didn't know you were Stand Users! Damn! I wouldn't have tried to block you then!"

"Huh? What are Stands?"

This time Alexander answered before Julian could respond, "One's natural fighting spirit made material! A being manifested from your fighting ability, wherever it may come from to defend you and be a valuable asset in many situations! But if you can suddenly see stands then that means not only did you steal my arrow but you also used it to pierce yourselves and awaken your stands! Curse you, Julian! I never wanted to bring more people into this than had to be but you just couldn't let things be!" He continued approaching them with his...stand staring at them stoically. Its hands balled up in a fist.

Aaryn quickly shook his head, "No no you got it wrong mister! We didn't use the arrow on ourselves! You dropped it when we ran into each other and I picked it up to return to you! See!?" He reached into his pocket but to his dismay found it not in there again! Crap! Did it fall out again? But how could that be? It's almost like there's a hole in his pocket it just keeps slipping through! He quickly looked around and saw the arrow, resting where he was standing previously, and quickly pointed to it, "There see! There is your arrow! You can have it!"

Alexander looked over to the arrow and back to Aaryn, his face once more falling to uncertainty. But a second later he pulled out more marbles from his pocket, "Thanks for the arrow, but unfortunately for me and you, I must still defeat you. It is the rules..." He walked over to pick up the arrow as his stand aimed and fired the marbles in all sorts of directions.

"Oh no! Aaryn! Evan! Summon your stands! Watch those marbles! They will-" but before Julian could finish his sentence it was too late; Aaryn and Evan already moved their hands in a defensive formation to block Alexander's blow but they suddenly found themselves hit in the face from the side by those same marbles! The blow from the marbles knocked them from their defensive positions allowing Alexander's stand to quickly advance and get a few punches in sending them back to the ground. "What was that!" Evan exclaimed.

"That is his, no MY, ability," Julian responds. It can swap the momentum and velocity of any moving object! He sent them at points roughly perpendicular to your positions then swapped their momentums so they were actually headed right for you two! My stand is called 「Money for Nothing」! Normally your stand is yours and yours only but mine was stolen by this person and his stand is impersonating it! Quickly! If we are to have any chance of beating him you must summon your stands!"

Aaryn looked at Evan, who had passed out from his injuries and looked back at Alexander, approaching them again. Slowly standing up, gritting his teeth in rage and putting up his fists Alexander took a pause, adjusted his glasses and continued forward, "Bold of you sir! Not knowing anything of what Julian is talking about yet still choosing to stand and fight...to your credit he speaks the truth but it will do nothing to change your fate. My true stand, 「Both Sides Now」, is perfectly capable of defeating any opponent! So even if you figure out your stand, I fear it will only be to your detriment..." He said as he armed himself with yet more marbles Aaryn looked back at the situation and couldn't help but think how screwed he is.

~~To be continued...

2