Tutor and pupil (3)
81 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The pain felt like needles were digging into every pore on Virans body, such a pain unknown to Viran ever in his life. As tears and snot flowed down Virans face, Sir Renault was standing close by with little clue as to what to do now, Sir Renault was a rough old man himself and had no clue how to comfort a child.

 

Time went by and Viran slowly shuffled his feet across the training field and seeped down into the soft green grass surrounding the well. Sir Renault shakes himself out of his torpor and rushes to the side of Viran and quickly gathers water into the large wooden bucket next to the well. Tilting Virans head back, water quickly sprinkles down Virans parched throat and the cold water begins to chill his entire body once more. The water made Viran regain control of his body as he slowly felt the severe numbness wrecking through his body subside.

 

“Why... Why did you hurt me so much?” After some time Viran speaks his first words to his tutor while tears still streamed down his face.

 

“My apologies, Lord Viran. It was my fault.” A small smile is seen on the wrinkled face of Sir Renaults face.

 

Sir Renault seemed stoic on the surface, but beneath his facade sat the overwhelming excitement and joy. He had at first felt pity and simply wanted to teach Viran, but now realizing the talent Viran had quickly changed the thoughts of Sir Renault around.

 

“No… That was, exciting actually. No one had ever taught me swordsmanship like that before. Are you a genius at teaching?” This question escapes Virans mouth.

 

Hearing this the smile on Sir Renaults face quickly grows in size as a boisterous laughter echoes across the training field. Sir Renault begins to shake his head before answering just a moment later.

 

“Why of course I’m a genius. But apparently so are you, so everyday I will teach you like this and I’ll help you fix the mistakes you make.” A warm smile blossoms.

 

“Really? You’ll teach me like how Gregory is taught by his tut...or” This naive question slips through the lips of Viran before he suddenly becomes quiet.

 

‘Why was Gregory taught so closely by the tutor… He was my tutor first and he always left at the beginning of the lesson…” Viran’s mind was puzzled at the treatment he had received from his previous tutor.

 

“Ah, well. Mhm, I will teach you just like that. Rest assured Viran.” The once warm smile becomes strained at the corner.

 

The time spent between teacher and pupil lasted hours, and yet felt so short to the young mind of Viran. As Sir Renault fixed the many mistakes and issues Viran had been facing concerning his swordsmanship, the more Viran truly felt happy in his lessons. It was a whole new experience for the young boy and he felt many new things over the few hours they both had. Time flowed fast and Viran began to walk back to his residence. His life was finally changing, and the dull life Viran had lived finally had a breath of color.

Some days pass and Viran starts to spend more and more time being taught by Sir Renault. On this particular day, a statement that was a huge surprise to Viran.

 

“Viran, everyday I want you to stop going to yer magic tutoring and come straight here to learn from me. Trust me, this is best for you.” The aged voice of Sir Renault echoed throughout the training field.

 

“But what about Sir Leonard?” Viran was stricken by this sudden question.

 

“Sir Leonard would be happy with this arrangement, you can trust that much. It would be best for you if you learned directly from me, in both magic and swordsmanship.

 

A short interval of silence descends upon the training field. The sun had already fallen from sight and the only illumination came from the many lanterns lit around the training field. It was at this time that Gregory and most Nobles alike would be eating supper, yet Viran would still be learning deep into the night. The light buzzing of wildlife and the mass shuffling of steps caused by the servants ready to finish their day could be heard in the distance.

 

“...Why does everyone treat me differently.” This question spoken from the mouth of the young boy made the old man shudder for only a second, “Sir Leonard and all of my tutors in the past… They all had no care nor excitement in teaching me anything. But why? Am I really that different from Gregory? What makes him better than me.”

 

The boy in front of Sir Renault had a gaze unlike any he had seen in his long life. A gaze showing the sincere naivety of a child. A gaze detailing the difficulties the boy has had to come to such a conclusion, that he was seen as different since the very beginning. Viran had believed his tutors had treated him normally, but after watching Gregory’s lessons many times and being under the tutelage of Sir Renault it wasn’t hard for Viran to notice the discrepancies. Gregory was put on a pedestal by the many servants of the estate, while Viran was forgotten. Gregory had the servants at his beck and call, while Viran was ignored and avoided everywhere he went. A deep sadness begins to well up in the tight corners of Virans eyes as he stares inquisitively at the old man in front of him.

 

“Ah, erm. There are circumstances, but that isn’t what you’re here for. So far I have only seen you use your swordplay but you’ve never used your magic. Truthfully, the mana you have in your body is frighteningly below average for people your age so I would like you to tell me what elixirs and ambrosias you're being fed on a daily basis.”

 

Hearing these words Viran could only tilt his head in confusion to these words.

 

‘Ambrosia? Elixir?’ Viran had never heard of these foreign words in his young life.

 

“Wait you don’t know what those are?” Realizing this Sir Renault is awed and after seeing the boy shake his head he continues,”Well… Cultivating the mana inside of your body isn’t the only way to make your mana grow. The more mana you have, the more often you will be able to use magic and you’ll be able to use spells that require more mana. Elixirs can expedite the process of increasing your mana through drinking them. These elixirs are made through medicinal ingredients from plants and animal parts alike. Elixirs usually cost too much for the lower classes, but for Nobles it is a necessity to buy for their younger generations. Ambrosia is the same except it instead changes the physical body, ambrosias are able to increase lifespan and durability of bones, tendons, and even your skin. Though comparatively ambrosias are too expensive for even Nobles…”

 

The lengthy explanation made Viran more crestfallen than before, as he had always wondered why his mana always paled in comparison to Gregory’s. Though something that Sir Renault had said caught the attention of Viran.

 

“Mana cultivation…? What is that?” Viran asked.

 

“... You have got to be shitting me.” A few seconds pass before Sir Renault utters this in total disbelief before heaving a heavy sigh, “Hahh, augmenters and mages are able to naturally increase their mana through meditation. Through meditation magic users are able to increase the amount of mana they will be able to use and increase their recovery speed.”

 

“So… How do I meditate?”

 

“Your magic circuit is like the heart, the center of all mana inside of your body. Also similar to veins are the roots that extend and branch out through your entire body. By moving your mana throughout your entire body and then letting the magic circuit absorb the mana will increase the amount of mana you will be able to utilize. Though the process is strenuous and most magic users prefer to use elixirs to increase their mana…” Sir Renault says before picking up his sword from the ground once more.

 

“Oh, well thank you for teaching me Sir Renault.” Virans words flow to Sir Renault, and soon after the sounds of metal clashing begins to echo out of the training field.

Viran limped back to his residence once more after another day of learning from Sir Renault. Though Viran had wanted to read, Viran realized that cultivating his mana would be the best option.

‘My mana will become huge! Those people won’t look down on me then!’ These thoughts of grandeur and glory swam through Virans head as he dragged his exhausted body home.

 

As Viran dragged his decrepit body through the door, a sharp pain shot through his temple before spreading to every inch of his body. These pains were arduous for the young boy and all Viran could do was wait for it to subside. The pain would leave just as suddenly as when it came. 

Viran passed through the lifeless corridors in his residence and pauses in front of the old library that was in his residence. As long as Viran could remember the library had always been empty and with few books inside, but Viran still had fond memories of the books inside. The books that Viran was conferred were only glossaries, historical, and adventure books. But the same would always happen, just like the book he was given by Sir Leonard, Viran would become entranced in the texts and absorb the knowledge like rain in the desert. That was all Viran could do for entertainment in the past.

 

Heaving his body to his room had already taken the life of Viran a dozen times over. Sitting in front of his room sat plates filled with food that had already turned cold. The corners of Virans face tightens into a frown as he kicks the plates and spills its contents on the walls. Entering his room Viran heaves a sigh as he begins to get comfortable to rest his strained body.

 

With legs and arms feeling like jello, Virans movements were languid and stiff as he slipped into an oversized linen robe. Crawling onto the oversized bed, Viran crosses his legs and sits upright. The contents of the day begin to resolve in Virans mind. A filthy sigh rings out into the room as Viran steels his concentration.

 

Viran slowly begins to ease his magic circuit to circulate the little mana within. As Viran ran his mana along his roots a warm euphoria spread throughout his body, helping to alleviate the pain and strain he had experienced so much before. Sweat begins to dot along his forehead as he focuses his will to move across his roots. The farther Viran went, the more tiresome the process became. In the span of an hour, Viran had finally accomplished a full circle of mana cultivation. The results were null, feeling the mana in his body barely increase quickly puts a damper to Virans worsening mood.

 

“Why is this all so hard…” Powerlessness and lethargy had filled these few and simple words.

 

Viran wiped the large excess of sweat off his body, watching the cool moonlight descend into his room through the window. A warm breeze floats in through the window, spring had finally come.

3