Forced departure (1)
89 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Standing off to the side with the servant child was Gregory. A smile was plastered on his face. The smile was not the same smile that Viran had been familiar with before. The smile had no trace of goodwill embedded within, with a more malicious feel replacing it.

 

"Now, why don't you play with Viran? Why doesn't Viran eat with Lord Idicium, or even live in the same building?" Gregory's eyes steel as he stares directly at the servant and says with an impassive tone. "Why does Lord Idicium care more about a Bastard, yet doesn't even give a look to Viran."

 

"L-lord it isn't my place-" a trembling voice leaks out of the servant before being cut off by Gregory.

 

"Tell. Me." A demanding tone had finally come out of Gregory.

 

"Mother says we have to ignore Viran… Apparently in the past Lord Idicium ordered Viran's tutors to teach him only the basics and nothing else. Any that refuse are fired immediately. It's the same for the servants, we are told to keep our distance from Viran and to only take care of his basic needs…" the servant hadn't looked at Gregory's face even once during the entire exchange, only opting to stare at the ground.

 

"I see… What about Viran's mom?" Gregory asks.

 

"I don't know what happened to the Mistress, all I know for certain is that she's been dead. It may have been during childbirth or shortly after Viran was born. Forgive me Lord."

 

"Why would Lord Idicium act this way towards his only child?"

 

Gregory asked this question in a firm manner. His demeanor was a complete change from his earlier appearances and were Viran to see this now… Viran himself would hardly believe this was the same Gregory he had gotten to know throughout the week. Noticing no response Gregory turns his head to the servant and taps harshly on the back of his head. Having been forced out of his stupor, the servant quickly responds in a tiny voice.

 

"we… no one knows. forgive me my Lord."

 

"Hmm. No matter. You've still given me lots of information, well I suppose it's time for us to join their game."

 

Gregory taps the back of the servant telling him to hurry along as they both walk side by side to the rest of the children already laughing and running amongst themselves.

Viran’s steps were quick and weak as he walked away from the children playing in the distance. He knew all too well what their reaction would be, yet he was enticed into trying it due to the presence of Gregory near him.

 

‘I guess Gregory really is going to play with them.’ A thought goes through Viran’s mind as he peers behind him seeing Gregory talking to the very same servant boy.

 

In the adventure stories Viran always read the protagonist’s best friend would always shun the servant boys and instead go to their friend… Though it was apparent to Viran that his expectations were naive he still had a lingering hope that Gregory would follow him away from the servants.

 

‘Just like Sir Renault had said, kids my age are naturally selfish.’

 

Though Sir Renault taught him in swordsmanship, Sir Renault and Viran had spent a lot of time talking naturally. They had grown closer over the course of the week, initially Sir Renault had simply taken pity upon Viran- that was no more. Viran turned out to be a special talent in the sword, a talent of which was never seen before by Sir Renault. This pity eventually turned into enthusiasm and Sir Renault now spent almost all of his focus on cultivating the young genius he had stumbled upon. A hopeful teacher now had an eager student that was willing to go the distance in learning. Viran had naturally felt welcoming to Sir Renault, and Sir Renault himself felt increasingly fond of his new student.

 

Viran’s footsteps followed the stone path from the servant residences across almost the entirety of the residence. Deep in thought, Viran was unaware of the stares and whispers that were going on between the guards and servants that passed him frequently. Throughout the entirety of his trip across the estate he hadn’t once been greeted by those of a lower class and treated with much disrespect. Such disrespect hadn’t bothered Viran much as this was always how it had been in the past, and he saw only one way of changing course and getting his Father’s approval.

 

Viran was motivated by the teachings of Sir Renault and he had finally found a way of gaining his Father’s hope and attention. Viran must overcome numerous difficulties and become someone a Father would be proud of. Impeccable etiquette, social attitude, powerful magic, superb swordsmanship, and a studious thinking. Were Viran to achieve all of this maybe, just maybe, he could get the acknowledgment he wished for. What Viran didn’t realize was that by doing this, he would also need to beat his only competition, Gregory.

 

The source of all of his hope laid in the teachings from Sir Renault. Only through Sir Renault would Viran be able to succeed in his goals and finally gain the attention of his Father. Viran felt the sincere feelings and hope almost bursting out of his chest as he thought about this, as though his earlier downtrodden appearance was all but an illusion. 

 

A good teacher like Sir Renault was the crux of his endeavor. Viran would need a teacher such as Sir Renault that would actually teach him things and correct what is wrong, though Viran is talented in many areas he lacked a foundation to build upon and having a teacher there to assist in building a foundation would be the only reasonable option for Viran. Were Viran to finish building a steady enough foundation in his sword skills, his talent may be able to propel him into undefined areas of the art. But that was ultimately years away, and Viran was already years behind his peers in experience and knowledge.

 

Passing through the numerous courts, gardens, and houses littering the landscape, Viran had finally reached his residence and breathed out a sigh as he began to fiddle with the door handle. The door swings open with little difficulty and Viran walks in only to pause as the sight of an old leather bound book on the floor. The sight of the book laying there puzzled Viran greatly.

 

As his hands gripped the book, Viran could vividly feel the taut and dusty leather. The leather had a deep brown texture along with many noticeable tears. The book felt to be ancient in the hands of the boy. Though the book was small, in Viran’s small hands the book was large.

 

Slowly opening the cover of the work reveals writings all across the pages. The deep ink had an ancient feeling to it and the lettering and writing was on par with the many books that were copied using magic in the library. As Viran’s finger traces down the spine of the book his mind wanders into the many words littering the pages of the book.

 

Viran stood still in the doorway of his residence. His breathing had almost stopped completely as he was entranced by the writings in the books. A light breeze flew by him from time to time from behind him by the door that was still left open. Though none of this mattered to Viran, only the work listed in the book was worthy of his attention in that moment. His eyes darted from corner to corner of each page as he began to turn the page faster and faster, his finger had started to bleed from the rapid motion on the rough paper.

 

Viran slowly stumbles forward and falls onto the ground as the book falls a foot away from him. While standing there for so long his legs had gotten numb and Viran’s thoughts were quickly knocked out of his thoughts. After a few second intermission Viran slowly crawls to his feet and picks up the book, walking further down the halls of his residence.

 

Hours pass as the scratches on Viran’s finger begins to grow more apparent and begins to grow hungrier as well. As Night is about to fall Viran finally reaches the final page of the book. The writing on the final page was new, and was quite nothing like the elegant writing before nor had the breath of dried and ancient ink. The ink was shaky and blemishes could be seen across the page, the final page had been written recently and in a hurry it seemed to Viran.

 

Reaching to the final words of the book Viran places it down and begins to stare at the book. The final page had elicited a pained look on Viran’s face as he stared at the book. The final page had told the truth about the origins of the book, and why it was giving it to him.

Turning his face to the window Viran could see his reflection in the smooth glass. Tear shaped drops of rain had flooded on the glass unbeknownst to Viran, it had begun raining. Shaking his head Viran jumps up and throws his clothes on before running out into the halls of his residence. His feet implant themselves directly on the plate of food that had been left out for him and he falls banging his chin deeply on the floor. Tears begin to flow from Viran’s eyes and small droplets begin to form on the bottom of his chin; all the same Viran gets back up.

 

The book was the book Sir Renault himself had been given from his Father when he was practically sold to his Knight Order. In the Empire, most aristocratic families would send their daughters and sons to different organizations and Sir Renault was the very same. Sometimes they would get favors, money, or other glory from these organizations and orders of Knights. Magic Users were rare in the Empire and having a Magic User Noble would also give a connection to the House they hailed from. The book was given to Sir Renault when he was sent away when he was at the young age of eight, being sold to the Knights of Mount Oros for a few hundred gold coins. In a war the Empire raged towards the East twenty years ago, Sir Renault’s former family were on the frontlines and faced total annihilation. His last connection then became useless to Sir Renault, but was treasured all the same throughout these years.

 

The book was a handmade guide for an augmenter to fully utilize their abilities in magic. The book was old and was already obsolete by modern terms, but was important to Sir Renault all the same. The book detailed the necessary knowledge needed for a young boy to learn how to use magic in their own body, magic was a volatile thing and was most dangerous when used by the naive and ignorant.

 

The reason for Sir Renault giving up the last connection he had to family was his departure from the Idicium Estate. The page had noted that he was leaving voluntarily, but all the same Viran shoved the door open and ran into the open rain. The many servants that had begun to finish their nightly work gawk at the young boy running through the rain with a grieving expression as blood flowed through his chin. The servants only look on, until one begins to shake out of their absence of mind and quickly run to the Lord’s residence in their wet clothes. Viran ran further and further through the estate until reaching Sir Renault’s house, slamming his body directly against the door.

 

The door gives in and opens as Viran tumbles to the ground once again. Shaking the dust off of his body and wiping the blood away from his eyes, his body tenses up. The residence was empty safe for an empty bed. Shaking his head Viran looks out into the front of the house and sees the chair Sir Renault had always been on. A solemn silence descends as Viran’s hands clench deeply, the rain paying no heed to the young boy.

 

3