Two Gold Pieces
72 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Footsteps echoed within the dark halls of the main residence. Numerous Nobles dressed in flamboyant clothing adorned with lavish jewels were walking through the halls devoid of life. Among the colorful array of clothing was one meekly looking man, still a Noble but without the luxury; Embren Gen.

 

His hands fidgeted, his teeth clamped together, and he walked behind these Nobles. He was desperate not to be noticed by these Nobles, though things had never turned out right for him as many of the Nobles already were turning glances towards Embren.

 

He hoped none of them could see the glint of greed he had in his eyes.

 

As Embren saw the golden chains adorning their necks and the precious gems embedded into their sleeves, he could shove down the feelings of greed and displeasure from witnessing their luxurious clothing. He had to force himself to turn his face away when he even saw runic engravings on some of the rings they wore, many of them also had magic tools on them…

 

Embren himself was a Noble just like many of the rest next to him, the difference being that he was only a Baron in name only and with no fief or land. He had always lived a life being suppressed by the Nobles near him, and the feelings of indignation only grew deeper. Yet he remained steadfast throughout his life, keeping the ideals close to his heart. Embren wished not for the greed to control him, but to instead push him harder all for the sake of saving his fallen Household. Even through the numerous incidents of bullying he had to suffer while he was in his adolescence, Embren remained devoted to the ideals that were instilled into him by his mentor.

 

Empathy, justice, loyalty, and stalwart. These were the things he had chosen to live by, and that will be what he will live for far into the future. These ideals were what helped get him through the hard times, and eventually hone his skills to the point where he was now defending the estate that his Lord lived in.

 

“Hahh… I can’t do what Lord Gregory says…” Embren whispered solely to himself.

 

Embren cannot possibly leak the news he will hear from the Noble meeting to Gregory, even if he is the Lord’s heir and son. That would be a betrayal of both his ideals and the Lord he served. He believed that if he were to serve through life and death for his Lord, perhaps something can be done for his dying Household. Anything, for his dying household.

 

Thinking it through, Embren could already feel as though things were looking good for him. Most of the Nobles surrounding him were the big shots of the Southern faction that House Idicium represented, it was ludicrous for someone of Embren’s stature to be invited to a meeting such as this.

 

Even if it was only an accident on Lord Idicium’s part, or if he only invited Embren for no real reason at it. It was enough for him. Embren steeled his heart to part with the sword he had been gifted, and to refuse Gregory’s offer. It wasn’t worth betraying his Lord for the sword, being invited to the meeting had that much of an effect on him. The Noble’s Pride he had been deprived of for his entire life, had felt like it returned to him finally. Even if only a little bit.

 

Walking through the halls, Embren finally meets two large oak doors. The other side revealing a very large table with monsters and beasts engraved throughout the hard wood, the eerie quality of the engravings gave the impression that the monsters would jump directly out of the table itself. Embren’s feet were finally about to pass through the doorway, until a sudden grips his tunic and pulled him back with a heavy force.

 

“Tch. Why is somebody like you trying to come in here?” A rough voice yelled at him.

 

“Wait! Wait! Wait! I was invited here by Lord Idicium.” Embren hastily defended himself.

 

“Now that’s just bullshit ain’t it? Why would somebody like you be invited here? I can’t even recognize the coat of arms on your clothing there.” The Noble said as he increased the strength of his grip.

 

Seeing that the heavy grip was starting to tear his clothing Embren freaks out and pushes Noble in front of him in a heavy handed manner, a grave mistake. The Noble falls heavily onto his back and a terrible noise leaks out of his mouth, making the Nobles around him quickly go into a frenzy.

 

“The fuck do you think you’re doing? You’re just some fucking Knight and you choose to attack a Baron!” A Noble says as he slides the sword out of its scabbard.

 

“Wait, wait. He did say that he was a Noble, did he not? I don’t think he would lie about that!” Another Noble intervenes, hoping to cool the conflict.

 

“Count De Met, my apologies for saying this but that is utter fucking bullshit!” The Noble on the ground yells while pointing at Embren. “I don’t recognize the Coat of Arms! He’s a goddamn spy!”

 

Hearing this, Count De Met’s becomes gloomy as he puts his attention onto Embren’s coat of arms. Embren had been trying to apologize for some time now but the Noble’s voices simply were louder than his. Embren raises his voice higher as he tries to explain.

 

“I am Embren Gen! I’m a Baron and I was invited here by Lord Idicium! Count De Met you must believe me!” Pleaded Embren.

 

“Hahh… Hold your quarrels before Lord Idicium gets back here.” Count De Met says with distrustful eyes.

 

It was clear that Count De Met himself had no clue concerning Embren Gen, yet he still decided to play it safe. It was at this moment that Baron Ohrid walks into sight and Embren Gen quickly called out to him.

 

“Wait Baron Ohrid! He can vouch for me, he knows me!” Embren yells towards Baron Ohrid.

 

Looking forward at the complex situation in front of him, a small smirk grows upon Baron Ohrid’s face as he says with a soft gesture.

 

“Hmmm? I’m sorry I don’t know what you’re referring to? I thought you were just a Knight that maliciously cheated when fighting against my son in a duel? I was unaware you were a Baron yourself.” An ugly smile quickly grows upon his face. “Or perhaps you really are a spy after all, ha.”

 

Blood drains from Embren’s face as he is met with snide remarks from the Nobles around him, all he could do now was wait for Lord Idicium to prove his innocence. Embren knew that the painstaking hours he had put in being loyal to his Lord would finally pay off in this moment.

 

In only a small amount of time, all of the Nobles were finally present within the banquet room and Lord Idicium could be seen walking in already. Embren became dead silent in the face of his Lord, yet the Noble that led House Thaumer had already begun yelling loudly.

 

“My Lord, this spy here tried to get into the meeting! He even hit me to the ground! Count De Met and Baron Ohrid can both attest to it!” Yelled Baron Thaumer.

 

Seeing this Lord Idicium became silent and his muscles taut. Looking back and forth between Baron Thaumer standing up pointing both hands at Embren while Embren himself shoved his coat of arms out front in a hurried manner. Internally Lord Idicium was laughing at the nonsensical pair, but on the outside his face was filled with a displeasure and apathy that was suffocating.

 

“I did invite Baron Gen here. But since he struck first you may do whatever you want to him, you only have five minutes until the meeting starts so hurry up.” Lord Idicium’s gruff voice was like the God of death whispering in Embren’s ear as his eyes showed a deep shock.

 

‘What? I’m being punished? …But why?’ Embren thought as a punch pushes his head far back.

 

His body tumbles to the ground as he goes through an eternity of having his head bashed in by the angry Baron Thaumer. Embren’s eyes glanced to the side to see a displeased Count De Met, yet the displeasure was towards Embren as if it was his fault for postponing the meeting by five minutes. Embren’s eyes wander once more to sit upon Baron Ohrid, his face twisted into a malicious grin as he laughs wildly. Embren’s eyes finally fall upon his Lord, Robert Idicium. Lord Idicium’s eyes are closed and his face shows no emotion whatsoever, he looked almost lifeless as he sat down in the chair. Abruptly a red crimson covers over Embren’s eyes as he laid there almost lifeless, cut marks lining his chest and his clothing torn to shreds. Were he not to have the sword Gregory had given him, the clothing he was wearing now would be the most expensive item in his possession. The pain of losing his clothing hurt more than the five minutes of torture he sat through…

 

“Thank you for coming today, I hope you’ve felt welcomed enough in my estate and I hope the trip wasn’t harsh on you whatsoever.” Said Lord Idicium as he finally started the meeting. “Now I have news from our Emperor, Clarus Fortuna. We will be lending 1,000 Knights for the invasion of the Mountain Lords to the East and Margrave Zora will be leading the invasion himself.”

 

As if on cue the numerous Nobles immediately object to the very notion.

 

“We have no obligation to send troops to help those bastards! Not when we are on the eve of securing Lake Girad!”

 

“Lor- No Marquess Idicium! I’m not sure what you’re trying to pull here but you can’t expect any of us to do this.”

 

“We need every single Knight we can get right now! We already have been preparing for this endeavor for months already! We simply cannot postpone this any longer.”

 

Numerous Nobles at this moment were all yelling at Lord Idicium. In truth- they were rightfully angry with Lord Idicium over this matter. As it stands now in the Empire, the South is the weakest faction in the Empire and securing the resource rich Lake Girad will lessen the suppression they get from the other Eminent Houses by a great amount. The main problem facing the Southern wilderness is the grand population of rift beasts that descended upon the people there centuries prior, the large number and veracity of the beasts made the borders tense and any excursions outwards risky. That is until the rift beasts all disappeared from the vicinity of Lake Girad due to the migration of a dying King Hydra, such a chance could be considered a miracle for the Southern Domain. The King Hydra’s presence suppressed the many rift beasts in the area, yet its actual combat ability was terribly low compared to a healthy King Hydra. The entire operation depended on how fast they would be able to build defenses to defend the Lake after the rift beasts attempted to return, they needed every magic user they could get.

 

“Hahh… We’re really going to war with the Mountain Lords again?” A Noble’s sad sigh is agreed by everyone.

 

“We won’t even gain anything from the war, it’s House Zora’s and Emperor Clarus’ business. No need to drag us into it.”

 

The Highland Mountain Range to the East of the Empire is home to three duchies known by the Imperials as the “Mountain Lords”, this moniker is both out of respect and ridicule. The Empire had also already gone to war with the Mountain Lords twice already, both ended with the Empire barely able to gain an edge over their enemies at the negotiations table. Seventy years ago they collapsed the Averon Kingdom and it disintegrated into the three duchies now, twenty years ago the Mountain Lords Coalition disintegrated the Imperial Armies that marched into their lands. It was nothing less than a massacre for the Empire and their biggest embarrassment. Most of the Nobles that sat at the table still remember the tattered army returning from the campaign, even now a reminder of the sight makes them tense up.

 

“Now, now.” Count De Met intercedes between the Nobles. “I’m sure Lord Idicium here has a good reason for letting the Emperor borrow our troops.”

 

In response to this question Lord Idicium faces his head down, and shakes it. Count De Met’s face quickly turns into one of disgust.

 

‘What the fuck…’ Thought Count De Met.

 

“We need to figure out which Knights we are going to send.” Says a Noble meekly.

 

“What? Why would we! We have no reason to partake in this war!” Another Noble interjects.

 

“We can’t forsake the promises made by Marquess Idicium… Our opponents will spread it across the Empire within weeks. We also can’t make Marquess Idicium send any of his own Knights since they’re the best within the South… That only leaves one decision.” Count De Met says with a grim look.

 

“We have to send the worst of the worst…” Another Noble says shaking his head.

 

All at once the numerous Nobles in the room began to eye each other, until Count De Met suddenly sighs.

 

“No matter how I see it, sending the worst out of all of the private armies here will create unnecessary division and division.” Said Count De Met.

 

“We’ll send Baron Thaumer and Baron Ohrid’s forces, and then we’ll split the dividend between the Barons in order to make up 1,000 soldiers.” Lord Idicium stated.

 

“I can’t allow this! Those are my knights being sacrificed! I am but a Baron and yet you wish for me to sacrifice all of those men? Even if I am paid handsomely for this who will help me govern my territory?” Baron Thaumer yelled as he slammed on the table.

 

“The Emperor won’t allow us to send mercenaries… But we can offer you more benefits from capturing Lake Girad and we can hire mercenaries to keep public order in check, for both of you.” Lord Idicium says with an unchanging expression.

 

“No that won’t do.” Baron Ohrid says as he thinks. “Baron Thaumer and I will still lose out in the end, we need something more…”

 

“Hahh… What do you want then.” Count De Met says with a sigh.

 

“I’m not sure what Thaumer will ask for… But what I want is the heart of the Hydra-” As Baron Ohrid’s words are cut off by a miraculous slam, the Nobles quickly move away from the now collapsing table.

 

‘What?’ Thought Embren as he laid on the ground.

 

Without anyone realizing it, Lord Idicium had punched down onto the engraved table, making it fall and smash into the ground. This wasn’t by the use of magic or ambrosia, but the simple might of his herculean strength.

 

This was his innate gift, a divine strength greater than any other.

 

“You demand the heart of the King Hydra? Are you mad?” A low growl escaped from the bottom of Lord Idicium’s throat.

 

“Ah-er. I can… I can settle for the venom glands of the Hydra?” Baron Ohrid said while trembling profusely, his once stable Lord had turned into a madman within seconds of mentioning the heart.

 

It was at this moment that Lord Idicium’s terrifying aura began to dissipate and he turned back to his apathetic self, a strange look still remained in his eye.

 

“But may I ask for one more in retur-” Baron Ohrid was suddenly cut off from before.

 

“You want more than just the venom glands? You’re starting to piss me off, Ohrid.” Lord Idicium said with a menacing glare.

 

“No! No! No! Not at all my Lord.” Baron Ohrid defended himself fervently, then his finger pointed straight towards the lying body of Embren. “But earlier as I enjoyed the show put on by Baron Thaumer, may I impose so much as to ask for my own chance?”

 

‘That… Fucker.’ Embren’s eyeballs rolled over, only his hearing remained.

 

“... Very well.” Lord Idicium said flatly before Count De Met interjected as well.

 

“Bahaha! Yes of course, but we’ll also remove some gold from your reward as well! Like maybe, two gold pieces?” Count De Met said enthusiastically, causing a chuckle from the surrounding Nobles.

 

“Oh well, sometimes we just have to compromise.” Baron Ohrid said as he rolled up his sleeves, and kneeled down to Embren. “Don’t you just, love how negotiations work?”

 

‘Lord Idicium… Sold me… For two gold pieces?’ Thought Embren.

 

His brain hurt, he couldn’t see, all Embren could do was lay there. The maliciousness of the Nobles and the betrayal struck him hard, and began to infest itself directly into him.

 

After the meeting was over, only the thought of Gregory remained as Embren cleaned the blood off of his body. Receiving two beatings like a dog at the order of your Lord, was not something Embren could permit, nor forgive.

3