Road to Tenus Forest
59 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Why aren’t we going into the city?” Asked Viran with a disheartened expression.

 

Being faced with this question Marianne quickly places a shaky smile onto her face as she explained.

 

“That was what we were told to do, by Lord Idicium I mean. He didn’t want to create a ruckus with the convoy, that’s what my Lord told us.”

 

“Tch.” Viran sneered as he looked at the servants preparing accommodations for the guards and themselves around the carriages.

 

The entire convoy consisted of around 70 people in total with twenty of them being servants. Though what Marianne told Viran was plausible, the entourage they had still garnered the attention of passing commoners, mercenaries, and merchants alike. Not to mention the high-cost gear the guards themselves sported as well, it was clear to Viran that Lord Idicium simply wanted to keep him coddled. Lord Idicium wanted Viran to stay in the estate for the rest of his life it seemed, as if he were a bird in a cage.

 

‘Just who is Spion really…’ Thought Viran.

 

To even get Lord Idicium to consider letting Viran go on a multi-month trek depended on the conspiracy that was full of Nobles now, who are all prideful in their own right. Yet somehow Spion was successful in gaining their support of the conspiracy, Viran knew that Spion was hiding something. Yet Ry refused to let any information regarding Spion’s methods slip, only vague terms of blackmail and bribery were used. For Viran this was a large mystery, but today was not the time to mull things over.

 

The time to figure out the mystery surrounding Spion would be for another time.

“Tch.” Viran clicked his tongue again, recently he felt it had become a habit of his.

 

Viran was excited for the whole new world he would see once out of the estate, yet he never knew Lord Idicium would make him skip the best parts of traveling through the countryside.

 

Multiple days had passed and yet he was never allowed to step a single foot into Arx or any other surrounding cities and villages. The once novel sights became plain to him, and his questions towards Marianne became infrequent.

 

Viran looked towards the young woman in front of him, her golden hair seemed to become inflamed by the cascading light from the descending sun behind her.

“Are you… Not enjoying your time Lord Viran?” Marianne asked with worried eyes.

 

“No… I’m not. It has already been days on the road and yet everything seems so plain now. Quite frankly I dread having to experience the rest of this trip. Though I’m sure it will get more exciting in just a few more days.” Viran said in a scornful tone.

 

“Exciting? Well yes I suppose very soon we will have our route go through the Tenus Forest that should hopefully alleviate your boredom somewhat.” Marianne said with a strained smile. She had misunderstood what Viran would refer to as “exciting”.

 

Viran thought of Marianne as a good person from her words like these. Whenever Viran had questions Marianne would answer them easily and she seemed to be very attentive towards him somehow. Throughout the trip she had been very helpful to Viran, yet Viran was unwilling to close the space between them. Viran felt Marianne to be a deeply kind-hearted individual, yet if he got too close there was a chance she would be killed alongside him. Yet despite the aloofness Viran had showed her and his standoffish attitude Marianne remained resolute. Viran had grown to respect the work ethic of Marianne in this quality as no matter how rude Viran was, she would always remain as kind as he was before. Viran had grown to respect her, yet he would rather feel disdain towards her. It would be better for the both of them.

 

Exactly during their trip through Tenus Forest, Viran would be killed. That was what Viran meant as exciting, yet Marianne was not in line with the other conspirators so she misunderstood the double meaning to Viran’s words. Still, Viran felt fearful for Marianne due to the amount of traitors there were in the convoy.

 

Out of the 70 people that escorted Viran more than half were out to kill him, and unluckily for Viran Tenus Forest was filled with poisonous plants, terrifying beasts, and a dreadful aura that made human inhabitation completely impossible. It was completely normal for children to go missing in those areas, or even grown adults for that matter.

 

The only reason why they would ever go through the forest is due to the experienced guards Viran had, and the amount of time it would take to go around the forest.

 

The servants could poison Viran, the traitors could kill everyone in their sleep, or they could toss Viran into the poisonous swamps that inhabited the Forest. The weapons the traitors could use to kill him were numerous, and very dangerous.

 

“But you weren’t talking about Tenus Forest…. Were you?” Marianne said as she watched Viran think deeply.

 

Her words send a jolt through Viran as he feigns a smile in front of Marianne.

 

“Ah well, I heard of the guards speaking of it and seeing a forest such as Tenus seems interesting to me.” Viran said as his hand clenched down.

“Apologizes for my words Lord Viran, but I don’t believe you. You have a dagger hidden within your clothes, luckily only I’ve noticed this. I have also… Seen fear and anxiety flash through you multiple times through the trip, and your awkward attempts to get me to feel contempt towards you.” Marianne's words were filled with warm feelings, and sang like a melody in Viran’s ears. Her words sounded sweet and completely unlike their first meeting, and through that Viran felt enthralled, yet shaken.

 

“I-I don’t understand how you can see my feelings Marianne? And there is also no dagger… So…” Viran spattered out.

 

An incredulous Marianne lifts her eyebrow up. Viran was confused, and a little scared at her observation abilities. But it still seemed weird to Viran, the confidence she spoke as if she really could see his fears and anxiety was frightening… Afterall she is the descendant of a madman.

 

“Hmm, now you’ve become fearful of even me.” Marianne frowned. “I don’t know what you’re afraid of, you have Knights here that are veterans from the southern border and they’ve been holding up the peace in Arx for years now! These people are dependable, so just trust in them. Ok?”

 

She sounded convincing enough to Viran, but he could only wish he could believe her words. Viran felt like he could trust Ry’s words now, from their short interactions he could tell Ry wanted something from him. Yet for some reason, Ry’s presence was long gone from the embroidered cloth that still hung around Viran’s arm. Viran looked towards Marianne, and spoke.

 

“I don’t think you would understand, truthfully.” Viran spat, closing the conversation with Marianne.

 

Seeing this Marianne smiles a soft bit and looks at Viran with a warm expression. Viran tries his best to ignore her sapphire eyes, in the face of those eyes Viran wanted to tell her everything. But he couldn’t. Even if he did and they all believed him, they would only be unnecessarily slaughtered.

 

Lord Idicium had been vacant from the city of Arx for many years now, and if he did visit the city he never did much. His vacancy meant that corruption slowly formed within the ranks of the garrison and administration. The guards would often accept bribes. The tax collectors would begin to pocket money for themselves. The Governor and Magistrate themselves were firmly in the pockets of the Mercantile Organizations that ran there. Yet Lord Idicium was oblivious to this all. The once respectable veterans that guarded Arx were no more, they were corrupted through and through. Guilty of corruption, murder, rape, and more.

 

And the strongest most vile of them were “protecting Viran”. Ry had ordained that if Viran’s loyal guards fought head on with the traitors, they would be killed to the last man. This was a situation Viran didn’t want, but Tenus Forest could also be used for his own benefit. If Viran could find an opening that would allow him to slip past the guards shortly after they enter the forest he would be able to evade capture and live through the whole ordeal… Viran wasn’t sure whether or not he would go back to the estate after he leaves, not for many years anyways.

 

Unfortunately for Viran, his plan was unsuitable for him. Viran was overlooking the many dangers that inhabited the forest and his own survivability among the habitat there… In all likelihood he would die to a wandering beast or die from eating some poisonous plant.

 

But it was all he had, and all he could do. If he tried to run now or before they entered the forest they would only capture him after a few hours or a day at most, and he will likely be unable to escape again.

 

Viran’s eyes trembled as he looked towards the sun, only to see it finally descend completely and now only night remains. His eyes closed, and he felt the rhythm of the roads as he descended into slumber.

It was later that night that Marianne sat with other guards on the trip, she wore a gloomy look on her face. Viran had already gone to bed hours before, yet she still thought heavily about what she saw earlier. She could tell the fear and anxiety Viran held easily, but it still didn’t make sense to her. Marianne at this point had already spent days alongside with Viran and she could get a good grasp onto his mind and she thought she was a bright kid. So why was he still afraid with so many guards around him? Why did his fear increase when she mentioned Tenus Forest? The answer still eluded her when she mulled it over.

 

“Hey Marianne why aren’t you drinking?” A voice said behind Marianne.

 

She looks back and goes face to face with a person she was very familiar with, it was a man that she felt indebted to heavily and looked up to him because of his abilities. With a slight blush growing on her face Marianne tried speaking in a happy tone.

 

“Ah I don’t really feel like alcohol tonight, Embren.”

 

The man was Embren Gen and he firmly placed down the cup onto the table and sat opposite of Marianne. He looks towards her with a warm smile and speaks with a hushed tone.

 

“So, what’s bothering you then?” He asked.

 

“Ah, I can’t really bother you with this. I mean I’m already really indebted to you, without your recommendation I would have never become a Knight.” Marianne said as she averts her eyes with a pure smile blossoming on her face.

“Well it’s only natural. You’re definitely strong enough to be a Knight, it’s just because of the taboo…. With your family name I mean. Sure some of your ancestors did terrible things centuries ago, but I don’t think you should have to hold the burden of their sins for them. It’s not like you were there, right?” Embren scoots his head forward and lays it onto his fist as he speaks. “So, please do me the honor to help you once more again now.”

 

Marianne pauses for a moment before looking towards Embren, her hushed voice speaks.

 

“It’s about… Lord Viran.” She says.

 

“Oh?” Embren asked questionly.

 

“I’m worried about him. He’s been afraid of something this entire trip and he won’t admit it. Furthermore it’s not something light, he is definitely afraid for his own life! I don’t know what to do to help him… Do you think you could help me with him?” Marianne asked with her hands folded out in front of her.

 

Embren’s ears began twitching, he felt something was wrong. Why would Viran actually be scared like that? Unless he knew about the conspiracy, but that was impossible. Why would someone like him know that? It made no sense.

 

Having realized Marianne’s pleading gesture, Embren sits up quickly and promptly responds in a clear voice.

 

“Uh, yes! I think we should make sure Lord Viran’s trip to House Axrid is nice and safe for him, and that he enjoys his way there.” Embren’s ears redden slightly as he slowly speaks. “This would… Also be a good chance to get along better.”

 

“Yes! Thank you very much Embren, I’m sure we can do something to ease Lord Viran!” Mariannes voice sounded sweet to Embren’s ears.

 

Hearing Embren’s affirmation her smile widens more as her eyes turn into crescent moons. As Embren stared at her fair face, his own turned sour. He realized that she wasn’t exactly happy about getting closer to him, but instead she was happy about getting help to ease Viran’s worries.

 

Embren’s gaze drifted away from Marianne and landed on a tent not too far away, Viran’s tent. His eyes did not give off warmth, only a cold feeling filled with malice.

3