Beat Down
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Viran couldn’t understand how he felt finally being back at the estate. His heart thumped when looking at the open gate but that was all. He didn’t feel sad, angry, or anything at all. 

 

“Hahh.” Viran sighed deeply, his gaze swept over the gate and went back into the carriage he rode in.

 

Compared to the cramped carriage he had used before this was obviously more expansive, at least it would have been were it not for the three heavily armored Knights sitting with him.

 

Contrary to the iron plating and leather armor his previous escort donned, the Knights that surrounded him were almost completely clad in a bright shiny steel color. Alongside the large pauldron there laid a Noble Crest Viran wasn’t familiar with, were it not for these guards to be accompanying House Idicium Knights Viran wouldn’t have trusted them, though the word ‘trusting’ would give them too much credit. Despite their urgence to give up the sword at his waist, Viran’s grip never left the handle a single time during the entire time back much to the chagrin of his new escorts.

 

But that didn’t matter to the boy.

 

Having one of the Knights lead him, Viran slowly moved out of the carriage. His gaze swept around the estate yet his Father nor Gregory could be seen amongst the guards and servants that looked on with inquiry. Upon seeing his return some servants and guards had audible expressions of relief, just the small act made Viran’s opinion of them rise. Just a little, anyways.

 

“Good to see you… Lord Viran.” The venomous speech came from a particular pale and lanky man standing far ahead of Viran. Spion was standing and waiting for Viran, something his own Father couldn’t, or rather, wouldn’t do.

 

“Yes… Likewise Spion.” Viran muttered softly to the man without turning a glance towards him.

 

Viran walked on in a manner that was unlike the young boy, Spion and the rest could tell with only a glance the boy had changed much. Whether this change would be good or bad? That was left unknown and perhaps the answer to it only mattered to Spion.

 

Spion could only flex his fingers silently to think, after all Viran was still left standing. It would have been fine were Viran to die, but now Spion himself was in dangerous straits. It was doubtful that the conspiracy against Viran would stay hidden, and the collection of Nobles he had collected would rather see Spion sent to his death than one of their own.

 

“Hah… Looks like I’ll have bad news to bring back.”

 

Those final words of Spion went adrift into the wind as he walked away from the gates.

Ahead Viran could see the many servants move to the side to leave Viran plenty of room on the path to his Father, the heavily armored Knights now following close behind him. Viran stared straight ahead with zealous intent leaking out of him, the grip on his sword tightened with every step taken.

 

Viran had plenty of time to think everything over, after all it had still taken the boy quite a few weeks to reach this point.

 

Of course, Viran wasn’t as dumb as to tell Lord Idicium everything that had happened and who was behind the assassination, but the boy could vaguely guess how to get back at Gregory for what happened. The one goal of everything now for Viran was how to put Gregory into his place, that boy was no longer considered Viran’s equal nor brother. That was off the table ever since Gregory had tried to kill him.

 

Seeing the large wooden doors in front of him Viran exhaled deeply and urged himself to stiffen his heart. The boy was finally going to see the man known as his Father, Viran couldn’t help himself but be curious what kind of expression Lord Idicium would have.

 

“Ah! Lord Viran you cannot bring a sword with-” The Knight behind Viran said in a hurry.

 

Viran looked softly at the sword at his hip and the hand that still laid upon it, the familiar weight was somehow comforting to the boy. His eyes had a glint inside when he finally responded to the Knight.

 

“Fuck off.” The firm refusal and foul language unfit for a Noble left the Knight speechless.

 

Still, the Knight went forward to hold Viran back. Ever since Viran had gone missing Lord Idicium had ordered no weapons allowed within his personal residence, that included even Gregory for that matter.

 

As his armored hand goes forward to pull Viran by the arm, the rasp of a sword startles the Knight and he stops his actions within a heartbeat. Viran had drawn his Cerulean Steel sword, and the blade of the weapon pointed directly at the armored Knight.

 

“L-Lord?” The Knight said in a confused voice.

 

The confusion and fear the Knight showed only made Viran sigh. With a tense breath he finally places the sword into the hands of the Knight, the familiar and comforting weight is now gone. Viran didn’t want to give up the sword but he really had no choice, he knew that these Knights wouldn’t hesitate one bit to restrain Viran and take it forcefully.

 

“Wait here.” Viran ordered in an icy and composed voice to which the Knights nodded silently, the servants gasped in awe at the sight of Viran. The young and naive boy they used to know had undergone drastic changes.

 

Viran silently walked through the residence alone until he ended up in front of a familiar wooden door. With a light knock Viran waits with a bated breath, and only a second later the door finally opens.

 

A fair face, a slimmer physique, and coal black hair was the features Viran caught eye of when the door opened. Gregory’s face had met with Viran and shock filled his eyes.

 

“V-Viran.” Gregory croaked slightly as he unconsciously took a step back. With every step taken back, a step was taken forward by Viran.

 

Although Viran was supposed to go to Lord Idicium first, the boy felt that talking with Gregory would be the proper choice. So he diverted his path from the study that Lord Idicium stayed in for hours on end, and instead paid Gregory a visit.

 

“Viran… I-” Gregory spoke tensely until a firm hand gripped his mouth shutting him up. With a single motion Viran throws his hand back and slaps the side of Gregory’s face, the feeling was exhilarating to Viran.

 

Gregory stood there stunned for only a moment before he struck back with his own fist. Viran’s head tilts back and is able to dodge the lackluster punch sent out by Gregory before Viran punches Gregory back again.

 

“You know… Because of you… People died.” Viran quietly whispers to Gregory as he pushes the boy back.

 

“Every single Knight died, every servant died. And for what? For me to die?”

 

The sudden words shocked Gregory to his core. Gregory had left everything to Spion to plan everything out so he was unaware just how they would kill Viran, but what shocked him more was Viran’s knowledge of his own involvement.

 

“Just what did I do to make you hate me?” Viran glared at his half-brother in front of him, a bruise had already begun to set in on his face. “Just… Why?”

 

Gregory only stared silently at Viran. The shock began to dim as he started to succumb to the anger that burst out of him. His fist curled harshly together, and with a snarl on his face he threw a punch once more towards Viran.

 

Viran felt a burning pain on his face, and once he realized the crimson mana that surrounded Gregory’s palm, something within was crushed once more.

 

“Dammit…” Viran muttered to himself as he dodges another punch sent straight for his face.

 

It was clear that Gregory had gotten better at the spell that repeatedly burnt Viran. Everytime Viran moved he could hear the crinkling of his charred and burned skin as flakes of it fell off over time. It was painful, but Viran didn’t mind. Viran felt that the simple burn wasn’t enough to deter him, if it was this would only serve as a memory to haunt Viran for years to come.

 

Gregory kept throwing punches left and right. As his spell continued to blast off papers flew around charred and the surroundings were slowly turning into a marred black from the fire. The black-haired boy only felt rage towards Viran, the sudden act of striking him was too much to bear. The boy, however, still felt a sublime pity towards Viran.

 

After all, Gregory originally only wanted Viran as an inferior subordinate.

 

Another strike is sent onto Viran’s gut and his clothes quickly give way for the scorching flames. Viran’s hands ignore the pain that crept up and grab the hair of the boy as a knee is sent directly into his nose.

 

Tears cloud Gregory’s eyes and his hands instinctively cover his face as another knee is sent driving directly into his nose. The next thing Gregory knew, he laid down onto the floor with blood pouring out of his mouth and nose as Viran repeatedly slapped his face.

 

It wasn’t a punch, yet somehow the slaps felt even worse for Gregory as the humiliatiation rose with every slap. After only a few seconds both of Gregory’s cheeks were bright red with blood seeping out slightly in some spaces, yet it was still a cleaner sight compared to what the boy had done to Viran so long ago.

 

“Get off!” The sudden exhortation from Gregory only received a solid punch in the gut in response.

 

The heavy punch to the gut made Gregory unable to speak as only streams of saliva exited from his mouth as he tried to babble on. Tears began to stream down the face, the pain was simply too much to bear for just about any child around.

 

“Icicle Thrust!” Gregory howled in pain.

 

Just as those words were uttered Viran could feel a cold frost emanating from Gregory and a bright crimson mana covered his entire body. As soon as Viran recognized what was happening, blood had already begun dripping from his hand. Viran peered at his hand and lodged within is a small strand of ice dyed completely in Viran’s blood. The ice stuck through the back of his hand and out the other side. For only a second Viran is able to resist the urge to yell out in agony. Right as Viran is about to howl in pain, a set of runes in the shape and size of a ring floats directly over Viran’s head swirling in a mechanical rhythm.

 

Just as the runes disappear leaving nothing, Viran’s face darkens as he stands up. The ice lodged into his hand begins to melt and within a few moments blood drips down frantically. Viran felt no pain from that, nor any pain. His face was darkened, yet serene.

 

Ceru Venetus’ Blessing had kicked in at the opportune moment, luckily.

 

Gregory’s crimson mana dissipated as he laid coldly on the floor, his mouth stretched forward and a screech came out that almost shook the very room they were in. Viran could only shake his head slightly and slowly sit down on the bed.

 

“Hahh…” Viran sighed deeply. He hadn’t obviously thought too deeply about coming to Gregory, after all it was likely Viran would be kept in House Arrest for even longer this time.

 

The single thought burned Viran far more than any of Gregory’s spells could. But Viran didn’t regret what he had done, not a single bit.

 

With a strong kick to his side, Gregory’s yelling finally ceases and the sound of shuffling armor could be heard outside of the room.

 

Standing in the doorway was only his Father, Marquess Robert Idicium.

2