The Teacher, The Guide (2)
40 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sir Leonard walked past the Knights of the camp as they stared at the duo with a cold look on their faces. You couldn’t blame them though, Sir Leonard was yelling only a few moments ago.

 

Seeing the gazes focusing on himself and his precious student, Sir Leonard couldn’t stop the frown from growing on his face as he realized his mistake in full. Yelling such things at his student within the tent was bound to cause the curiosity to flare within these Knights. To put it simply, Sir Leonard was in the process of regretting his decision.

 

Sir Leonard led Viran through the entirety of the encampment until the duo finally reached the still decrepit gate. Though many changes have been made to ensure that the broken stone wall wouldn’t fall, it was a disgusting sight that paid no heed to aesthetic whatsoever. Though, Viran thought, perhaps the Knights wouldn’t understand how to make things pretty, much less the villagers and servants who have lived their entire lives as commoners.

 

Just as Viran is about to step through the broken gate, a rough voice gains his attention behind him.

 

“Where are you both going?”

 

Sava’s voice was cool and composed. It was a simple question yet the intonation used still felt threatening to Viran.

 

“Hrm. Taking a simple stroll through the village. No need to worry, Sava.” Sir Leonard said in a grumble without having turned around once.

 

Viran was unsure why his teacher refused to offer even the littlest bit of respect for Sava, but the boy decided to pay no heed to it. His mind was still preoccupied on what exactly his teacher could provide him.

 

‘Elixirs? Spells? Maybe a secret inheritance!’ Viran thought excitedly.

 

Viran’s visage had already taken a complete 180 from before. He went from a babbling, sobbing mess to a boy looking forth into the future. Sir Leonard only smiled sheepishly to himself in the face of the expectant Viran, he was sure the gift he was prepared to give was going to make the boy happier than ever.

 

As soon as the duo walked down the windy trail that led from the estate further down into the village they were soon met, as well, with the fervent gazes of the villagers nearby. Everytime Viran passed their heads would dip down a great deal to show their respect and pay heed to Viran’s arrival and once the boy passed their gazes were locked directly onto him, a similar occurrence for the Knights as well.

 

Along the outskirts of the village near the swirling river there sat a single house. The house was said to be abandoned and with a single look at its exterior it certainly did look abandoned. The roof itself was filled with holes while the door frame had broken down long ago. Along the outskirts of the villages, and even within the village itself, there laid many houses dormant. The sudden giant rat attacks proved fatal for many individuals within the village, and with the loss of the limestone mine the most prosperous business within the region had disappeared as well. Life within the village has been on a downward spiral for many months now, especially for the widows and their children.

 

An old man with a distasteful look on his face exited out of the building once the sound of footsteps came near. With his straight forward look the old man stared directly through Viran’s soul.

 

“Hmph. He’ll be staying here as you requested. Though if any troubles arise, don’t expect any of us to get behind you. This is your problem only.”

 

Elder Nichols’ placid words were solid, yet Viran knew they were truly not directed at himself.

 

“Hrm, yes. Thank you for your help Elder.” Sir Leonard responded with a small smile, the wrinkles along his eyes stretched as he did so.

 

“Nn.” With a small grunt, Elder Nichols quickly takes his leave and goes back to the village.

 

Looking at the house, Viran could tell that the gift wasn’t some material object at all. Whether it was a gut feeling or not didn’t matter, because the truth stepped out himself only a second later.

 

Viran’s eyes widened completely at the sight of a familiar face, albeit a changed familiar face. His decrepit body and old body now had more flesh to it, his bald head was no longer present, not replaced with a small buzz cut, and his face seemed more aged than ever before. Yet everything else was the same. Though their time before was short, Viran still thought of him often. It was him that had shown him the path that Viran decided to go down, and because of that Viran was apologetic. Deeply, deeply apologetic.

 

“Sir… Renault?” Viran tearfully said with a shocked expression.

 

Paying no heed to the tearful student Sir Leonard details what will happen next.

 

“Hrm, well I can’t exactly say my own skill with the sword is anything to talk about. Not to mention not very many of those Knights are able to stand up to him in swordsmanship.”

“You said it yourself yesterday that you would personally end those hordes in the forest. Hrm, but I doubt you’d get very far if you’re still shoddy with a blade.”

 

Viran relentlessly nodded, and a strained smile filled his face once more.

 

“You’ve… Grown, Viran.” Renault said with a soft smile, yet within his eyes showed an inner turmoil. The eyes of an already broken man, Viran thought.

 

“I have Sir Renault! I have a new spell and I’ve still been practicing with the sword for a long time now!” Viran cheerfully said, his eyes practically shining.

 

While hearing himself still being addressed as Sir, Renault coughed lightly as he shook away the embarrassment and shame that threatened to show.

 

“Viran erm…. Don’t say ‘sir’ anymore. I lost that title long ago.” Renault rubbed his neck meekly, his own face was clouded with shame and distress. The sight was naturally disheartening for Viran naturally, and the guilt within grew more worrisome for the boy. Yet with a despondent look, Viran nodded lightly.

 

Sir Leonard, after having seen the depressing scene in front of him, hurriedly attempted to bring the conversation back on track.

 

“Hrm, Renault here will be able to teach you more about the swordsmanship practically whenever you want… Except there is a need to be quiet and secretive about this.” Sir Leonard said.

 

“Right… He’s not supposed to talk to me anymore, huh.” Viran looked down at his feet in a disheartened tone.

 

“Technically, and if he is caught I will likely be punished as well. But that won’t be happening.” Sir Leonard continued. “But in the meantime while you aren’t with Renault you’ll be learning from me personally. There’s still much you have to learn about magic, afterall.”

 

Viran looked towards Sir Leonard and nodded slightly. It did make sense to the young boy. He himself knew that there were numerous differences between him and people who have actually gotten a full education, all of Viran’s knowledge was half-baked compared to the real talent that had guidance since a young age. Just thinking about it gave Viran a headache, he hadn’t ever thought of it like that until now. Ry was right about many things, and Viran thought maybe he should start taking that damned spirit at face value.

 

“So, how about we start now?” Renault said as he eyed the Cerulean Steel blade hung at the waist of Viran.

 

Viran releases a small smile as he unsheathes his sword once more.

Far away from Wakeford Village and the estate there laid a city glistening within the warm embrace of mana and within magic flourished. The heart of all magic research in the Empire and the very seat of the Emperor, the city of Verita.

 

Within Verita patrols of magic users were a common sight, unlike the rest of the Empire. The entire garrison boasted with it’s strict magic user only policy unlike the other cities and villages of the Empire. Along the ginormous walls that surrounded the ancient city there stood magic users clad in armor and accompanied by the best weaponry. The materials they had at their disposal was the best of the best, a scene unlike anywhere else in the Empire.

 

Along the city gates streams of people of all kinds were entering and exiting the city, and within the city flourished. Along the streets sat peddlers and within the streets ran along the children, or meandered about the adults.

 

The soldiers were strong, runes lined the many buildings of the city, the wall was firm, and the people flourished. Despite it all the ruler of it all was displeased.

 

“You never killed the boy, and you decided to blow your cover prematurely.”

 

Within a large throne room there sat an aged old man with his flowing white hair thrown behind him. Kneeling on the ground was a familiar man, Spion, as he bowed his pale head directly into the ground.

 

“Forgiveness my Lord… I beg of thee… I had my reasons to do all of this.” Spion begged in front of the Emperor, a sight completely unnatural considering the docile attitude the Emperor took.

 

Standing up, the Emperor slowly walked towards the pale and lanky man that begged for forgiveness vehemently and his gaze never had a single change throughout it.

 

“And what are your reasons?” The Emperor asked.

 

Spion’s muscles tightened up as he ran his head farther into the ground as he closed his eyes.

 

“Y-you told me to create discourse within the South and I have done so! For months I have manipulated Gregory Idicium into attacking Viran Idicium! I have made the child afraid of Viran’s existence, I have no doubts that Gregory is going crazy over the idea that Viran will attempt his revenge one way or another!”

 

“Oh? Now why do you believe in all of this?” The Emperor’s interest was piqued enough, and he slightly held back the urge to smash his foot into Spion’s skull.

 

“I took advantage of Gregory's trauma from his… Circumstances. I made him believe that his own standing in the Idicium Household was shaky at best once Viran began to show off his talents. After I made the boy fearful for his life due to the revenge that Viran was supposedly supposed to enact.” Spion gulped his own saliva down heavily.

 

“With everyday that Viran lives, Gregory will be paranoid of his existence until he will wish to take matters into his own hands. By the time Gregory attempts to hurt Viran in any way, it will undoubtedly cast doubt on their House.”

 

The Emperor’s face loosened further as he stared down at his servant.

 

“Did you feed the boy the Purple Arachnic Elixir? The side-effect of that is severe paranoia and delusions I believe...” The Emperor asked slowly.

 

“Er, yes I have. The effects were harsher than I ever imagined, were they not I’m afraid Gregory would have never gone so… Berserk.”

 

The Emperor only smiled slightly at the words of his servant, and as he began to walk away from Spion he gave heed to rise as well.

 

“I suppose we can take advantage of it all during the Day of Awakening, don’t you think so too?” The Emperor suddenly asked Spion behind him.

 

Spion’s face winces slightly at the sudden glance from his liege, somehow the visage seemed more frightening than ever before.

 

“Yes, m’lord. I do believe we can.”

 

Spion’s words were only met with silence as the Emperor walked out of the throne room at a brisk pace.

1