Chapter 74
527 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the next meeting with Shi Wu's company, Ning Wan went alone. She was a little nervous on the way, but when she actually arrived at the conference room and sat in the main seat, she calmed down as if by magic.

Adequate preparation solves 80% of problems. Although Fu Zheng was not there, everything went very smoothly, and she even responded to several questions about the due diligence investigation raised by the other's executives accurately and in detail, pointing out the risks--

“After review, among the products of the company we plan to acquire there is nothing subject to the U.S. EAR regulations. However, there is a risk of one of their overseas subcontractors coming into contact with products governed by the EAR. Further confirmation is needed. Because the EAR is under the legal framework of U.S. export control, if suspected of violating the law you would be subject to a huge fine, or even serious criminal charges and other adverse consequences. This should be our key focus with respect to the international merger and acquisition..."

"At the same time, we should also pay special attention to the provisions of the FCPA related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act..."

As a member of the company's legal department, Shi Wu was naturally also present at today's meeting, but as she was not qualified to speak during the whole process, she couldn't get in a word. Instead, she simply listened, pursing her lips, while the director of her legal department asked questions, all of which Ning Wan answered one by one. It was obvious from his expression that he was quite satisfied with Ning Wan's due diligence report.

Although she hadn't done any physical work, after all that intense mental activity, Ning Wan felt her tense body relax once the meeting was over.

After the meeting, the senior executives left one after another. However, Ning Wan was not in a hurry to leave. Observing Shi Wu, she slowly sorted out her documents. As a junior mid-level manager in the legal department, Shi Wu had to wait for the director of her department to leave first, so she fell behind, and by the time the director left, the only ones left in the room were Shi Wu and her female colleagues from the last few days.

Ning Wan didn't say anything. She just walked to the door of the conference room and closed the door--

"Shi Wu, I believe there are some things that I should clarify with you and our colleagues who may have misunderstood me, thanks to your words."

This development seemed to come unexpected to Shi Wu. She was stunned for a moment before attempting to put on a brave front, guilt written on her face. "What are you trying to clarify? I'm busy, so don't cross boundaries between work and personal matters and waste everyone's time!”

"I have always been careful to distinguish between work and personal matters. That's why when you slandered me at our coffee break during our first meeting, I didn't argue. The meeting wasn't over yet and any words I spoke would have disrupted the process unprofessionally. But now that the meeting is over, I would like to take a few minutes of your time to sort out what happened between us."

Ning Wan was very calm and her tone was even. "The reason being that this matter isn't entirely personal. Your prejudice against me has seriously affected collaboration efficiency on this project. In order to better work together in the future, I think we should have a talk."

"Let me first clarify a few points with you. First, I did graduate from a relatively ordinary law school, and I did previously provide legal services in the community. However, my involvement in this case was entirely based on my own ability and has nothing to do with anything else. If you think a problem exists, Zhengyuan has a reporting process. You may feel free to put together evidence and file a complaint."

"Secondly, the relationship between Lawyer Fu and me belongs in the realm of my own personal life and has nothing to do with work. I don't need to waste my time explaining it, nor should I. But if you believe that I'm not professional enough and want me to be switched out, please apply to the director of your legal department and see if he is willing to do so."

"Third, I will be in charge of this case from now on. Lawyer Fu will only be responsible for looking things over, while I will be handling the specifics. So if your legal director is unwilling to change me out, I suggest that you had better cooperate with me, because what this comes down to is very simple. If we can't get along within this M&A case, the irreplaceable person will continue on, and the replaceable person will be replaced."

Having said all this, Ning Wan looked at Shi Wu and smiled. "Between us, who do you think is more replaceable?"

Ning Wan has always refused to respond to her provocations and pettiness, so Shi Wu had become more aggressive over the years. She was so used to it that upon being hit back this time around, she couldn't even even react.

Shi Wu had always been someone who never cared about whether or not other people were embarrassed, responding only to her own emotions. Therefore, she had never given a thought to how embarrassing it felt to be criticized in public. Now this was like being criticized in public by Ning Wan. She was boiling over.

Not only was this unacceptable, but she caught a glimpse of her colleagues watching the show out of the corner of her eye, making it even more intolerable. "Who do you think you are?" she snapped back. "Irreplaceable? Aren't you just clinging to someone else to get to the top? If it weren't for your boyfriend, do you think our company would be cooperating with you? Aren't you relying on him now to try and slap me in the face like this? Back then you relied on him to embarrass me at my birthday party, and now you're just doing the same thing again!"

That's what Shi Wu said and what she sincerely thought. Ning Wan had never refuted her before, but now that she had a backer, she dared to come confront her in person!

However, her own agitation did not bring about Ning Wan's temper in kind. On the contrary, the eyes Ning Wan turned on her could even be said to contain a little pity. She didn't seem to be pretending or acting. Shi Wu felt the sting all over--

"Shi Wu, I never respond because I can't be bothered to. My time is precious and I can't waste it on people like you. You're not even a bystander in my life, it's not worth it precisely because you're so unimportant.”

Ignoring Shi Wu's twisted expression, Ning Wan continued calmly, "I'm only responding now because we will be working together frequently in the future. As I hope to complete my work efficiently and without error, I am negotiating with you.”

"It was not my intention to embarrass you at your birthday party, but please remember that it was you who made the first move. Back then, it was indeed Fu Zheng who helped and supported me, but that was actually something I regretted, which is why this time I explicitly requested to come to this meeting alone." Ning Wan smiled at Shi Wu. "Do you know why?"

She lowered her head slightly and continued, her voice gentle but cold, "Because I wanted to tell you that if I, Ning Wan, wanted to slap someone in the face, there is no need for a man to help me do it. I have never needed a man to help me thus far, and I can slap a face myself, without a man to to back me up.”

"As long as you continue to make things difficult for me at work, I will fight back every single time you do something in the future. I will never be lenient. And I, Ning Wan, always do exactly as I say."

"If you don't wish to give in, you can continue on like this. This is all I have to say today. Take care of yourself. I've given you fair warning."

Shi Wu had always felt too good about herself. She was used to having everything go smoothly, and had never suffered any setbacks. The people around her supported her and soothed her for many reasons, and in the long run, it had given Shi Wu the illusion that life was smooth and that the world would run according to her will. Because she had never been punished or faced the consequences for "going her own way", people like her took this way of life for granted.

But Ning Wan was not anyone Shi Wu had met before. She was not a colleague who had to fear Shi Wu's background, nor was she a classmate who had to rely on her connections, nor was she someone who had needed Shi Wu's resources. She had nothing she desired from Shi Wu, and that made her invulnerable.

When Ning Wan opened the door and left, she ignored Shi Wu's reaction. It wasn't something she cared about.

Shi Wu would no longer continue to embarrass her, and Ning Wan was no longer afraid.

No longer did she need to endure. No longer did she need to console herself, or be protected by anyone, because she was now strong enough to fight back.

She was no longer eager to explain, no longer obsessed with the need to be out from under Fu Zheng's shadow and prove herself, because Ning Wan knew now that she no longer needed to prove anything to anyone. She simply needed to do what she believed was right, and to do her best in life. Everything else, given time, would be naturally known.

1