V.1.C3
101 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Emma’s POV-

Blood still stained my hands as I leaned over and inspected my work, the stitching was far from the best I’d ever done but it had sealed the wound well enough. “I’ll have to look him over once we’re in a safer location,” I muttered and looked towards the young man. His clothes looked shabby compared to what I was used to but based on the fact they had a carriage I can only assume they might be some of the best.

“While I’d welcome a ride, your carriage seems to be a bit worse for wear,” I frowned as the image came back to my mind. If he could reattach it, it might still roll but I doubted the horses would be so easy to recover.

The young man stopped and winced, “Ah yes, that is true. Thankfully, even at a walking pace we are only an hour or two outside of Serell.” I blinked, well either I was lucky, or that Goddess had pulled some strings. My hands bet on strings being pulled, but it was at least in my favor. I looked back at my patient with a frown.

“Carrying your luggage and this man may be difficult,” I gestured towards him, “And I don’t believe it’d be wise to leave it here unguarded no?”

The young man chuckled, “Perhaps if we were unlucky, but my specialized magic is a rare type.” The young man lifted his hand and faced his palm towards me. “Overgrowing Hearth!” I found myself staring in shock as a dark space, sparkling with spots of white and brown shimmered into being and pulled the open wooden cases into it before vanishing. His deep red hair was blown back by a swirl of wind as his brown eyes squinted. While he seemed relaxed, the spell he seemed to be casting looked as though it took effort. 

“That seems terribly useful,” I said as I stood up and grabbed his hand, forgetting the dire circumstances we were in. I brought my eyes to it, “I’ve never seen magic before, I must admit, but must one use their hands or can it be used remotely? Are there factors that decide what kind? An organ of some sort perhaps? Or a part of one’s brain that decides it so?”

The young man pulled his hand back slowly, “You have never seen magic before?” His tone was skeptical, disbelieving and doubtful.

“I’m afraid not,” I shook my hand and let go of his hand. “I’ve never been in a situation quite like this.”

The young man looked at his hand and frowned before lowering it to his side, “Are you perhaps someone gifted with Negate? Or have your aspects not been tested?”

“The later,” I answered with a shake of my head, “It’s never been available.”

The young man nodded in what I assumed was understanding, “Not all that peculiar, a great number of people from the east do not usually know.” I could only assume magic was affected by culture or laws in some fashion, or that the way to measure aspects was not a common ability or item. However, exposing my otherworld origins was highly unlikely to end well.

“Is there a way to check? Perhaps a church?” I asked with an effort to contain my excitement. While I was a doctor, my hobbies and interests would always be reading. Magic and it’s usage were something that would always fascinate me.

“It is fairly simple, actually,” The young man chuckled as he looked at me. “Bevin, I would suggest you carry your brother as neither myself nor the lady are fit for such a task.” The man equipped with leather and crude iron armor nodded as he ran over and began to lift the other man off the ground. So the bodyguards were brothers? How interesting. “We can discuss it as we walk,” the young man gestured towards the edge of the small clearing and I nodded.

“Oh, speaking of names, what’s yours?” I asked as I stood to follow him. My feet had already begun to carry me back towards the road and the young man had waited to follow by my side. That was terribly polite, but then again, this world was suggested to be backwards and medieval by that goddess as far as I could tell. Perhaps he was a noble?

“Ah, how improper. I am Langford Keoni Dahl, first son of the Duke of Kizin,” the young man gave me a deep bow, “And milady?”

Called it. “Doctor Emma Angevin, the rest is unimportant.” I waved my hand dismissively.

The young man furrowed his brow, “You have spoken a fair number of words I do not recognize. Is that first one your name?”

I covered a laugh with a cough, “It’s my profession. I practice healing and curing others, and it means I’ve a considerable amount of learning in that field.”

The young man’s eyes widened for a second. “I see, you are a physician then?”

“Sort of,” my own brows furrowed, “I can’t say it’s the same.”

“Do you charge for your services?’ he asked, and I was thrown for a loop. That was a question I hadn’t asked myself yet. Based on the goddess and her request, I probably shouldn’t charge outrageous amounts like the hospitals back home used to. It wouldn’t end well with the public to over charge and put them into debt. So…

“Only what the patient can afford,” I spoke as I made my decision. The best way to continue my work was to have patients actually come to me. As for research and making new medicines, that could be figured out in my own time. Or I could always hire an assistant down the line I suppose.

“Then certainly not a physician,” Langford shook his head. “Their prices are exorbitant at best.”

I cringed internally and was unable to control myself, nor the venom in my voice as I retorted. “Definitely not. Healing is not a means of making money, it’s to help people.” My tone was likely a bit too vicious as it caused this young soon-to-be duke to flinch in surprise. I’ll ask for his forgiveness later. The fact the hospital commonly put people in debt or to the point that they had to seek outside help was always disgusting to me.

At least, I would’ve apologized if he hadn’t started laughing loudly. “I must apologize,” he wiped the forming tears from his eyes. “You are quite a fair bit different from the physicians I’ve met.” I caught myself glaring at him. He chuckled, yet again, as he noticed the look on my face. “It is a refreshing change, and I must say my opinion of you is quite favorable now.”

I gave heavy sigh, this walk was going to be a long one. At least, until we started discussing magic. Perhaps I’d be lucky enough to be able to use it, if the goddess was smart enough to grant me abilities related to my work then it would likely be healing in some fashion. While using flashy magic would be terribly fun, that was also… I couldn’t picture it ending well. At the least it would make me a target and at the worst I could be conscripted into the local military. A hard pass definitely.

--------------------------------------------------

LG: This is the goddess of life! In this chapter of our Doctor’s adventure, magic was finally showcased! The magic used by the young noble Langford, he’s so handsome, is a specialty magic! It’s not terribly common and most users are recruited by merchants or become merchants. Overgrowing Hearth is a combination of Light, Earth, and Dark aspects! While these can form other spells, some mages can only cast one spell from their combined aspects, and some can’t cast certain spells. You’d honestly be better asking the God of magic about it!

MG: …I’m not helping you.

LG: T-T

Sorry this chapter is a bit short, however I've been working on another story set in this world that's of a similar genre. I'll be working on both stories so as to hopefully prevent writer's block for so long again. 

3