Prologue: Looking for my parents
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I knock on the door. Behind it, noises of footsteps in a hurry come in my direction. A woman in her mid-forties open it:

"Hello! Excuse me I didn't expect any visit today... Who are you?"

As I thought. I will need to play my tune...

"Hello, Mrs. Aristi! I am here to speak about your son..."

"Oh! I see, I thought the interrogation was over... But are you not a little too young to be a police inspector?"

"Well, I am not from the police, I am a private detective. You see, I have been mandated by parents who are in a similar case. Their daughter disappeared two weeks ago and I think both cases are linked."

A sad air appears on her face. She sighs.

"Oh... How sad... Please, come in, the conversation will be more comfortable in the living room."

"Thank you for your comprehension, madam."

She lets me in. I follow her through her small house where she lived with her son alone before his disappearance if I can trust newspapers. Dust is covering the furniture like the inhabitant has abandoned this house. She moves aside allowing me to enter the living room. There, I sit down on an old stained sofa. Mrs. Aristi takes place in front of me on a chair. Uneased by the atmosphere of the house, I continue the conversation:

"So, your son has disappeared one week and a half, is it right?"

"Yes..."

"He was seventeen, wasn't he?

"Yes..."

"I think you know it but three other people disappeared in one week in this city which is a too big coincidence for its size..."

"Yes... That's why..." tears flow on her cheeks, "That's why I think there is no hope to find him alive... He was assassinated by a serial killer... Deep within me, I know I would never see him again... He was my reason to live... I don't know what I can do now..."

"I am sorry to hurt once again you but I need a few answers. I know it is hard for you but, the same events happened in other cities and if it is the work of the same person, he must be stopped."

"Yes, I understand... You can ask me what you want... But please, stop this madness!"

"Thank you for your cooperation. I will do my best... Do you know if around a week before his disappearance, he had a strange behavior?"

"Not in my knowledge... The only weird thing was the day of his disappearance, he passed by the same path that this girl who disappeared too..."

"Hum... I see... Do you think he was trying to inquire into it?"

"I think so... It is a peaceful city, nothing out of normal happens here, so this news moved him. He was always helpful and a sort of daydreamer... I would not be surprised if it was his intention. Only to vanish too..."

"Ok, did he feel in danger?"

"No, not at all. It is the opposite, he thought it was his moment, do you see what I mean? He didn't care about his own safety, he set his mind on finding an answer... Like to understand what happens at all cost... Be careful if you don't want to meet the same end..."

"Thank you for your warning. I have one last question and I will leave you. Do you know where was his last position?"

"The last time he was seen, it was on the street following the small park near the church."

"All right, thank you very much for your time madam. If I obtain any news about your son, I would transmit them to you."

"Thank you and good luck with your investigation."

I leave her house. I heard this kind of testimony at least one hundred times. At least, she has given me the same place as the other three. Thanks to them I can proceed to the next step to find my parents. Five years ago, they have suddenly disappeared on my eighteenth birthday. Since this day, I am searching for them.

In the beginning, I struggled to survive alone, without any relatives known... When I have stabilized my situation, two years ago, I have devoted myself to solve their disappearance. They would never abandon me. The only possible answer was abduction.

During my investigation, I discovered an interesting lead. Meanwhile the period of their disappearance, twelve other cases were reported in my city. Yet, they concerned only teenagers, generally between sixteen and twenty years old. More interesting, the series continued in other cities. I moved town to town to catch the responsible for these abductions. Every time before, he could escape, but not this time, I am perfectly ready.

I arrive at the street where the boy evaporated. A small road where only one car can pass if not too big. At its end, the street abruptly turns to the right then left, creating a small blind spot of ten meters. The perfect place for an abduction. The nightfall begins, the best time to operate. I wait apart until a young person takes this way. He is looking around to assert nobody is following him. He will lead me to my target.

A child's play for me to dodge his vigilance, I know the protocol now. I rush discreetly in the street. I take the corner. Bingo, as expected. In front of me the young boy I followed, and two hooded figures. I confront them:

"Hello there!"

"Artc, eop nol tanpie!" says one of the figures.

"Ic to..." answers him the second one. "Is it you the nuisance who have been bothered us for months?"

"Apparently. Now, forget about this boy and answer my questions!"

"Haha, do you think you are in a strong position to threaten us? If the last time nothing happened to you it was because we spared you!"

"Perhaps but this time I have a gun!"

Both of the figures panic when I show them my weapon. They speak in their strange language, letting me unable to understand them. The teenager near me is trembling, he begs me:

"Please, I have nothing to do with them... They made a proposition to me. I am sorry, I did not know it was forbidden. Spare me please!"

"Do not worry, I am not here for you but for them! Come on do you surrender? Or do you prefer I make a hole in one of you?"

"We have nothing to fear from you earthling, we have a mission far more important than your little tantrum to accomplish."

"Ok, you think I am joking. Let's change that."

I press the trigger of my pistol. A noisy detonation is heard. What loudness! It is the first time I use it without a noise-canceling headset and I am regretting it. I focus on the two hooded people in front of me. They are covering themselves with their hands. As I thought, they were bluffing. I missed them on purpose. I resume:

"So, as I said I have some questions to ask!"

"Fuck you, earthling, you and your cowardly weapon!"

"Yeah, yeah! As long as you are answering my questions. So, who are you exactly?"

"We are Ivujnishes."

"Can you be more precise please, my forefinger is itching..."

"We are inhabitants of Ivujni, a city of Naohaya, our world."

"You see when you want! And why are you doing on Earth, Ivujnish?"

"To recruit earthling fighters for our cause! Our city is suffering constant assault from other countries and we lack resources. To help us in our fight we recruit young people of your world who are glad to participate in our war!"

I turn to the teenager:

"Is it what they tell you?'

"More or less... They said I can live in a gamelike world with a fantasy setup... You know, I am so desperate about my life I was ready to accept it without fearing any consequences... I didn't trust them but they showed me incredible things... I didn't know they were doing illegal things..."

"I see... But have some consistency about your words, dude... Anyway, you two, do you really think I will buy your bullshit about another world like this brat? At least be credible... So, I repeat my questions, who are you and why are you here?"

"We said the truth earthling! If you do not let us go, we will need to take an unfortunate decision..."

"Come on, you have already used this card! I will shoot at three! Three..."

"Listen, nobody will win in this situation stop it!"

"Two..."

"We said the truth! We can't invent a story to please you!"

"One..."

"Shit! He is serious! Tanji, Imlan!"

"Zero!"

I pull the trigger once again. This time, no detonation. Shit! My gun gets jammed! Or not... Around me, the street has disappeared. An imposing stone room takes its place. I drop my weapon. Impossible! While I am struggling to understand the situation, a voice says:

"You are under arrest for a murder attempt!"

I turn my head in its direction to arrive at the figure with his lowered hood. In his hand, a knife pointed at me.

"I said it, you would regret it..."

 

Hello, welcome on my novel! I hope you have appreciated it. To start, I want to precise the made-up language is supposed to be pronounced as Japanese for vowels and French for consonants... I hope it helps ^^"

On another side, English is not my main language, I am sure I made a lot of mistakes. So, don't hesitate to correct me if you want to poke your eyes... Other feedbacks are appreciated too. Thank you for reading my work! :)

0