Prologue: A Meeting with a Goddess
1.3k 10 53
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

If I am thinking about a great way to start my lunch break, usually it doesn’t involve starting face to face with an ethereal being in a non-corporeal form where I can’t even remember my name. 

 

This is the current situation I find myself in. If I try to remember my last thought before winding up in this situation, I see a metal beam heading at my face after I started smelling smoke on the controller I was calibrating. Then it is all white and now I’m staring at a semi-glowing female being feeling completely weightless and unable to make a sound. 

 

*pop*

 

“Hello, can you hear me? I’m talking to you using a soul link since you currently have no body.”

 

“I guess that explains the weightless feeling and my inability to speak” I muse.  

 

“Umm..I can hear everything you are thinking now so yes to explain your current situation, you are a soul. As with all departed souls that enter the soul cycle, all personal memories have been wiped from your memory but I was able to get to you before the processing department wiped your past knowledge. It seems you were a university robotics researcher in your past life on a path to get your PhD. Unfortunately it doesn’t seem like that would be possible anymore, but I’d like to offer you the choice to be reincarnated in my world due to your past history.”

 

Now that I think about that vision must have been me remembering my past working in a lab. That’s right I was working on calibrating an arm for my next experiment before I needed to run to my Machine Learning lecture. 

 

“So as I mentioned before, I’d like to offer you a choice about your future. You currently have two options, you can either finish having your soul wiped and return to the pool of souls or we can salvage what you remember and have you come to my world.”

 

“So I can become a blankless void or continue with some semblance of my past...hmm can I have more information about your world and I also assume you pulled me out for a reason or you wouldn’t have needed to stop them from wiping my knowledge,” I ask. 

 

“Of course, it looks like the personal wipe didn’t take away your reasoning skills. As I said before I would like to bring you to my world, the world of Xillia. I am Eril, the sole patron goddess of this world where I try to provide some overall management of its goings on...though I’m only one person unlike the other polytheistic worlds. Since I cannot micromanage every aspect of my world, I look to bring in useful help from the soul cycle to move my civilizations forward. Hence why you are here. Unlike your past world where technology and science are the main focuses, we have what you would call Magic on your world. Specifically aether, which you can liken to mana from popular fiction. It forms naturally in each being along with crystallizing in pockets across the world. Through these internal aether circuits, beings are able to manipulate the aether in these crystals to move devices and manifest phenomena like making water or fire. Unfortunately my world’s innovation has plateaued which is why you are here to spark up new conversation and technology based on your past knowledge.” 

 

“That doesn’t sound too bad overall, but such a world that is different than Earth might be hard to adjust too. Do you think you can help me adjust to your world like with its language and writing?”, I request.

 

“Of course! I wouldn’t just throw you into the void without anything to help. I’m at least a benevolent goddess so I’ll give you the gift of language comprehension. Also, I’ll make it so you were born in the world so you won’t have to deal with being randomly dropped in the world and figuring things out. To make things even better for you, I will even give you a few skills to help you with innovating my world. I think in your world you had what was called a computer that helped you so I will give you something similar to help you remember everything and also give you the ability to grow and gain new skills as you grow. The only thing I ask is for you to give it your best and push against adversity as there will be those who question your changes and try to take advantage of you.”

 

“I guess I still have some of my past personality since the idea of making a change in society still excites me,” I reply.

 

“I take it from your thoughts that you are on board with me reincarnating you?”

 

“It sounds like too good of an opportunity to pass up so I’d be more than happy. Can I contact you again if I have any other questions later,” I ask.

 

“Of course, eventually you will go to one of my temples and if you pray there I can hear you. I’ll do my best to get back to you if it is urgent, but for smaller requests they might take a little while for me to get too. Without further ado, let us start your reincarnation!”

 

I feel my body get sucked out of the floating abyss into a dark tunnel. From behind I hear a loud bang and the goddess cursing slightly. 

 

POV: Goddess

“Crap, since I’ve never done this before I hope I didn’t mess up too bad. Ugh they should have gone over this in my internship more.”

 

Hi and thanks for taking the time to start reading my first ever story! I'm honestly not sure how often I plan to post, but I have at least 20 chapters outlined for this story so far with plenty more future thoughts about how I want it to go. As I said before, this story is a bit of self therapy for myself as a grad student who is still trying to figure out life so hopefully you get something out of this too!

53