Chapter 2: Meeting the Family and Learning
880 10 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thank you so much for all those who read my first two posts! Honestly just seeing people reading my story made me so happy so thank you so much and I hope you continue to enjoy reading it! I plan to post as I have time with finals, but I will probably post more during Winter break.

Cheers!

AutumnRayne

That night my father Krisstoff and sisters Grace and Rose came by my room and introduced themselves. Overall they seemed to be patient with the fact that I didn’t remember them, but from their attitudes they wanted to leave as soon possible. After a few more days I started to understand more about my family’s dynamic from my mother. It seemed that since we were a fairly poor family, at the age of 15 we were expected to work and I had one of the higher incomes under my father. Now that I lost my job and limbs, I couldn’t work anymore so my family member had been picking up as much extra work as possible and things were so tight that my mother was planning to return to work. In essence, I had become a deadweight in the family…

 

That next week after meeting everyone, my mother attempted to teach me as much about where I was and life as possible before she had to return to work. The town we lived in was called Zandrill of the kingdom of Manriff. It was one of the larger trading towns in the kingdom and was divided North to South into districts with the North being the noble district, a trade district in the middle, common housing where we lived south of the trade area and closest to the south wall was the industrial zone where I used to work. Money was divided into a few main types, copper, silver, gold, platinum and orichalcum. A piece of bread was a few coppers and 10 coppers made up a silver. From there each currency was a base 10 of the prior and most commoners could only hope to save a single gold a year. 

 

As I started getting my mobility slightly back in the bed, I asked my mother if there was a way for me to get around the house. From what she told me, most people spent their life bedbound from these types of accidents so what I suggested was a bit difficult. I asked her if there was any type of crutch I could use and she gave me a puzzled look even after I tried to explain the concept to her. She told me that she would ask father when he got home if he understood what I was looking for and left the room.

 

That night my father came by and I tried again to explain what I was looking for. Since the accident left me with a stump of an arm, I at least had a small amount of rotation I could do so I was looking for something I could strap to it with a long wooden handle to the floor. He told me he had no idea what I was talking about, but he could probably make something for me at the workshop he worked at during down time. 

 


 

Later that weekend, my mother started work again and left me alone in the house with food and water in the morning. I had plenty of time to think now that I was left alone in the quiet house. My memories from the time with the Goddess were slowly coming back to me more and more which left me with a bunch to ponder:

 

“From what the goddess said, I should be able to manipulate aether, but I either have no idea what it looks like or haven’t seen anything which uses it since waking up,” I spoke to myself. “She did mention that I also had something like a computer, but I have no idea how to even access it. Do I just say Computer Open?

 

*Beep*

 

In front of my face a dark screen and a small keyboard popped up with a blinking cursor which startled me like crazy. After staring at it for a few minutes, I finally started piecing things together.

 

“So this must be the computer the goddess mentioned. It looks like a terminal from my old world…ugh I guess she took the most commonly used computer that I used from my past work…”

 

From there on instinct I typed in the first commands that came to mind.

 

>ls

status  readme.txt

 

>cat readme.txt

"Hi! It's Eril! The wonderful loving Goddess. Since I didn't know exactly what you would need 

 I made a system similar to a computer which follows the rules of my world. To do this I had 

 to access your past knowledge a little and what I made should be similar. I hope you enjoy!

 

P.S. As you learn more in this world, more programs will become un-restricted for you!”

 

“Ugh, she could at least have given me a real gui interface!,” I thought to myself.

 

>cat status

    Err("status is an executable file and is unable to be manipulated by user")

>./status

 

"WELCOME TO YOUR STATUS PAGE"

"HERE WE WILL DETAIL ALL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU"

"MENU NAVIGATION BELOW:"

"PLEASE TYPE <f> TO GO TO NEXT PAGE""

"PLEASE TYPE <b> TO GO BACK A PAGE"

"PLEASE TYPE <h> FOR PAGE KEYWORD DESCRIPTIONS" 

"PLEASE TYPE <q> TO EXIT PROGRAM"

   -- > f

 

"BASIC STATUS INFORMATION"

NAME:  Lilly Hopper

GENDER: FEMALE

AGE: 20

HEALTH: RECOVERING

CLASS: N/A

JOB: N/A

   -- > f

 

"SKILL PAGE"

ACTIVE:

    Status

PASSIVE:

    OtherWorld Knowledge

   -- > f

 

"END OF PAGES AVAILABLE"

   -- > q

 

*Sigh*

 

“At least this confirms that my mother was telling me the truth for the most part about my name and age,” I thought to myself. I spend the rest of that day opening up and closing the window and examining each item more. From what I gleamed, I could access my status at any time by saying “computer open” and typing in the appropriate commands which is why it’s under the active skills section. I also had my past knowledge which was grouped up under the Passive Skill OtherWorld Knowledge. I also had a class that would be assigned based on what I decided to do with my life and a job section which updates based on my work. My health section would give a description based on my current condition which made sense since I was still recovering from the incident. 

 

As I finished these thoughts, another day in this world ended.

44