Chapter 5: Familial Happiness and the Second Fall
735 9 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW: Discrimination, Panic Attacks

That next week, I started settling into my new routine now that my mother was giving me a bit more leeway in my life. In the mornings I would head downstairs while my family was home to eat breakfast with everyone keeping my promise to my mom. I’d then clean the kitchen once everyone had left and practice moving around up and down the street in front of the house. Sometimes I’d run into a neighbor on the way to the market who I’d give what I thought was a friendly wave to except for some reason they would always skirt around me. Still even with unfriendly neighbors, I kept working to build up my stamina now that I had a goal in mind for helping out with chores around the house. Before the weekend hit, I found my mother at my door frame knocking.

 

*knock*knock*


“Can I come in?,” my mom asked from the doorway holding something in her arm. 

 

“Yes?,” I answered a bit confused. She walked in and sat down besides me on my bed.

 

“So remember when you cut open that sack to use it as a bag on our last trip? Well while I was at work this week, I was able to scrounge up a few cloth remnants after asking my boss and I might have made you a little surprise,” she said handing me the cloth that was draped over her arm.

 

I reached forward to accept the fabric from my mother. It was a bag sewed out of a bunch of random earthy colors with a thick hemp strap wrapped in cloth. I hugged it to myself and started to sniffle for some reason.  “Thank Mom, I really like it,” I said. 

 

“I’m glad, I know things haven’t been easy for you since the accident but I see you pushing yourself each day so much that I’m glad I can do something for you,” she said. “Now that you have a bag, I wanted to ask if I can get you to help out a bit more in the day with shopping?”

 

“Of course, I’ve been pushing myself this week to build up stamina after our last trip!” I replied excitedly. I draped the bag over my shoulder to make sure it fit well and started shuffling around my room to show my mom that I was ready.

 

“Sounds great, I actually have a few things for you to pick up tomorrow for that night's dinner. It's just a few small things so I’ll give you my list and some money in the morning,” she replied. After a quick hug mom left and I kept hugging my bag giddy for tomorrow. 

 


 

With the morning breakfast over, my mom gave me her list and a few coppers for groceries. I piddled around the house cleaning up after breakfast and swung my new bag over my shoulder. The walk to the market was quite pleasant with the morning breeze and light overcast. Most people on the way stared a bit confused by me, but I kept moving forward to my destination.

 

Walking up to the shops my mom recommended was definitely an experience. Most shopkeepers didn’t say much to me as I picked out the produce my mom asked for. I did notice a few glares which reminded me that what I was doing was basically unheard of since in this age most people who are injured like I am are basically bedbound and as such are useless to society. After I finished my shopping, I made my way over to a bench in front of a bakery to rest. As I turned around to stare at the bread in the window, I caught a glance at myself in the reflection. Weirdly enough, mirrors either didn’t exist or weren’t affordable since we definitely didn’t have one at home.

 

Staring back at me was a kinda weakish looking woman who in my old life I would think was just starting her sophomore year of college. I had silvery blue eyes and my hair was dirty blond that hung a bit wild and mousy to my shoulder. From there, I could see where the leather strap was tightened around the nub of a shoulder I had and my sack was hanging from my good arm.  Sighing to myself, I could make out where I used to probably have some muscles before the accident, but they had far withered away by now.  Just another reminder of the changes in my life since the accident in both my lives. Finishing my moping session, I reached to patch myself on my face to get started again. I got up and started making my way home. 

 

It looked like it was starting to get busier around the market now that lunch time was here and I could start hearing my own stomach growl signaling to head home post haste for lunch. Making my way to the entrance of the market, I passed a large group of better dressed younger men who I could only guess were lower nobles and merchants out to lunch. 

 

“Hmph, they let this filth roam around,” one said. The rest nodded in agreement as they came close to me. That’s when I felt my bad shoulder get pulled. “What is this silly thing,” another man said, pulling my crutch. I felt a strong lurch and my crutch was torn from my shoulder sending me falling. “This is where filth belongs,” he said, tossing my crutch far away from me. The rest of their group laughed while this happened. 

 

I was scared. I did nothing to them except exist, crying to myself. “Please, I need my crutch to move and get home,” I cried out. “Hmph, so the trash speaks,” the nearest man said and kicked me in my side. “Filth should be silent,” he said. With this I broke down...I couldn’t even think and laid crying and weeping with the world fading more and more around me as I spiraled breathing heavy.

 

The last thing I heard before passing out was a woman yelling and the feeling of being lifted. 

Thank you to everyone who has been reading my story so far! It gives me a bunch of happiness seeing the likes and reading your comments. School is finally finished for me this semester after a fair performance on my side after dealing with a ton of depression and family scares. Now that I have a bit more free time, I'll work to try and post more often. Your feedback and comments make me super happy so I look forward to new ones!

41