Chapter 16: Never Refused a Meal on the House
731 8 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The morning after next like usual, Emily met me out front to walk me to the shop. Only difference this time is that we would be only staying around until after lunch before we headed over to the restaurant for the install. 

 

*Knock Knock*

 

I opened the door to a very bouncy Emily. 

 

“Morning Lilly! I hope you could sleep last night because I know I barely did. I’m so nervous and excited for this first full install.”

 

“Yea, I was tossing in my sleep most of last night running over potential problems and hangups for today so I feel you.”

 

“Well nevertheless, let’s get a move on to the shop. I can’t keep my regulars waiting too long this morning,” Emily said while pulling me from the door.

 

The walk to the shop was quiet, just like it had been the last few months as Emily picked me up. I still cannot believe it’s only been a couple months since Emily picked me up off the ground in a broken mess and helped give me more purpose. As these feelings started to wash over me, I leaned my head closer to Emily to rest it against her shoulder. 

 

“You okay?” Emily asked, noticing my closeness.

 

“I’m fine..., better than ever actually,” I said. “I was just thinking about how happy I am that we became partners. My life finally feels like it has meaning and the culmination of everything today is making me a bit emotional and all.”

 

“I get you. After my grandfather passed, I didn’t really know what I was going to do. I only had plans to keep the shop going for as long as my money held out, but every day became more and more depressing as the shop wasted away. Then by the luck of the goddess, you literally fell into my life and here we are.”

 

“Thanks for picking me up that day...Oh it looks like we’re here already,” I said facing the shop. “Well let’s not keep our regulars waiting.”

 


 

With the small morning rush taken care of, Emily and I proceeded to get our work box stocked up with the tools we’d need for the install. Both of us were so nervous, we could only manage a quick meal before it was time to leave. 

 

“Ready to head out,” Emily called out, holding the toolbox.

 

“As ready as I can ever be...I’m still pretty nervous about the upper district and all…”

“I'll be next to you in case any jerks give you any problems.”

 

I nodded my head thankful for her presence and Emily and I made it out of the shop, swapping the sign to Closed and locking up.

 

“Alright, the shop should only be a short walk through the Northern District along main street. Let me know if you need a break since it’s a bit further than the walk from your house to the shop.”

 

“Will do, let’s get this over with.”

After a short walk and a small break in the middle where a few nobles gave me upturned noses, we made it to a small, but well kept restaurant right on main street. I could see why the store would want automatic door openers as the main wooden doors were fairly thick and kept glossy with wax to give an air of upperclassness. 

 

“Here we are, The Owl’s Peak,” Emily said pointing at the sign above the door. “Only the left door seems to work and we’ll be fixing the right side door.” 

 

And with that, Emily pushed hard on the right door until it swung open. 

 

“Good evening Madams, would you be joining us for a meal today,” a young server said from behind the door as we made our way inside. 

 

The building was a bit what I expected given the outside, except they went all in on the aether lights on each table and well glossed tables.  I hoped they had someone on hand to recharge them or they’d be a big pain getting monthly replacements.

 

“Actually we’re here for a repair. I’m Emily from Knole Aether Works. This here is Lilly, my work partner. Mr. Harold came by my shop a few days ago for us to repair the door opener so we’re here for the installation part today. Can you let Harold know we’re here.”

 

“Of course,” the server said. “Mr. Harold is actually in the back getting ready with dinner prep so he asked me to take care of getting you everything you might need. He said he’ll pop out in a bit once things have calmed down in the kitchen. Give me just a bit and I’ll grab your box.”

 

The server made their way to the back of the dinner area and soon reappeared with the large box we sent the door opener in and placed it down in front of us.

 

“Let me know if there is anything you might need and I’ll see if we can’t help you. I’ll be standing out front to let customers through the left door, but we shouldn’t get too many at this time of the day.”

 

“Thanks,” Emily said, picking up the box and moving it closer to the door. “Ready to get started Lilly?”

 

“As ready as I’ll ever be.”

 


 

After a couple hours and a few last minute adjustments to get the opener and the aether cabling to connect properly, we finally finished our installation. Emily grabbed the server and had them test it a couple times to make sure it met specifications of the shop.

 

“Oooh, it’s so nice not to have to open this door manually. It was starting to get tiresome for many of the older customers and we’d have them knock so we could let them in instead.” he said.

 

“I’m glad,” Emily said brushing the sweat off her brow. “Do you think you can see if Mr. Harold is free? He told me he’d like to see it when it’s done.”

 

“Of course, I’ll be back in just a second.”

 

“Did someone call my name?” said Harold appearing from behind the server. “I just finished in the back and heard a bit of a commotion in the front so I made my way up.”

 

“Actually Mr. Harold, it looks like the installation went well,” Emily said. “We wanted to see if you could give us your approval before we call it completed.”

“Not a problem, is everything in the same spot as before?”

 

“Yes,” I said speaking up for Emily. “I tried to keep everything the same in terms of design. The only main changes were that I made the force crystal easier to get to so it can be replaced if something happens again.”

“Smart idea! Emily, you got a great assistant.” 

 

Harold made his way outside and placed his hand on the activator switch. Aether seeped from his hand into the switch causing it to faintly glow and the door began to swing open.

 

“By the goddess, I didn’t think I’d get to see Arthur’s opener work again. Emily, Lilly, it looks like both of you did a wonderful job on the repair. As I mentioned to Emily last time we talked, as a thanks for the short notice and as a congratulations on your first commission together I’d like to invite both of you to a meal on the house by yours truly.”

 

“Evan, please take these two young women to a place where they can tidy up and see that they are seated in the private room in the back.” 

 

“Yes Sir,” Evan said while bowing. “If you two could be so kind to follow me, I’ll lead you to the staff area so you can tidy up before dinner. I’ll come grab you from the break room when dinner is ready.”

 

“Thank you,” Emily and I said in unison looking at each other nervously as both of us felt out of place in this fancy restaurant. And with that Evan led us to the back with our tools so we could refresh ourselves in the employee changing area and showed us the break room where we could relax until dinner.

Glad I could get some writing in before midterms hit for me. Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback! I'm super excited to write the next couple chapters so if I get a couple written together I might upload them at once.

Cheers!

秋・百合

32