Spicy spywork
39 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Entering the meeting room, we sat down along with the other officers. 

Soon after, the recordskeeper arrived with a old tattered journal, as the commander  began explaining. 

"As you all might have noticed, the Ashbeast migration has been delayed this year. This is highly unusual, given how strictly they stick to their migration patterns. Recordskeeper Mayank might have the answers as to why this is happening."

"Yes..uhmm..there are few records of such a thing happening, but of all that exist, one thing is noted as a common feature in the entry exactly one year later." The old recordskeeper said.

"And what is that?"asked the commander. 

"The very next year, a smaller ashbeast is seen following behind them. Hidden a safe distance from the wall."

"Aham namasmi Pashupati." The commander uttered a prayer to the Lord of Beasts, almost instinctively, as did almost everyone else. 

Two ashbeasts were already hard enough to deal with, but now there would be a third? The notion itself was terrifying to imagine.

"We cannot allow another of these monsters to be born. It needs to be killed before it becomes a threat to the our national security." Exclaimed captain Kevalya.

"You're right. I'm sanctioning a small force of brave warriors to infiltrate the dragons' lair and end it's menace once and for all. Those who wish to partake in it are requested to volunteer by tomorrow. Spread the message to all departments by the end of the day." Said the commander.

"Uh.." said Advik, "Is it really right to kill a newborn child? I mean they are already on the verge of extinction. What if there is an imbalance in the ecology because we eliminated the child. It might not happen immediately, but when there aren't enough predators the prey expand to consume  a lot of the shrubbery and such. Some lands are even left barren due to this."

"Leave your bleeding heart in your mother's bosom, Advik. We are soldiers. It is our duty to protect country from monsters like these. If you don't like it, you don't have to participate. But don't stop us from fulfilling our duties." Remanded the commander.

 "Actually, he has to participate. We will need to cross through Jaranuka territory to reach the Burning Mountain. And it just so happens that Advik here is the only one in the entire regiment who can speak Jarani. As a matter of fact, he gave his civil service examination in Jarani. If he doesn't join the expedition, it will be difficult to pass through enemy lines." Added the recordskeeper.

'Curse you, you old sack of shit. I knew I should've taken art as my major.' He screamed internally.

"Is that so?" The commander  wondered, "Can't they just hire a local guide? Why send a non combatant to his death? Or they can just go the other way around, past the Sindhukush mountains , across the beast vales."

"The plague came from the beast vales. We can't risk another outbreak. They'll have to go through Jaranuka territory." Mayank corrected.

Then a sudden realization dawned on the man, 'Let's send Jagjit with him then. He'll be safe and Jagjit will be out of my hair until I find a suitor for Pushpa. Two birds with one stone.'

"Then Jagjit, you'll have to go with Advik as a bodyguard." He said looking at the half asleep man, leaning against his chair.

"Sure." Said Jagjit, unaware of what he had just agreed to.

'You muscleheaded idiot, pay attention. You'll die with me.' Advik thought as he kicked Jagjit under the table. 

"Huh.. what?" Jagjit responded.

"That's settled then. Let's move onto the specifics." Said the commander.

Mayank pulled out a map and spread it out over the table.

"You'll take my recommendation letter to the ministry of foreign affairs in Dargunj. There you'll be provided with new identities, trade contracts and diplomatic emblems. Then you'll make your way through the fortress at Kanchen pass and take a boat up the river Sindhu. Get to Mahishpura and resupply with the local merchants quarter."

"Next" he said pointing at the border between the nations, "You'll smuggle one man with your weapons across this channel, hidden in the valley to the north of Kartarpur. Do not let the governor of the region spot you. He knows Jagjit and we suspect he's working with the Jaranuka."

"Now, you'll cross the border as merchants selling spices. As such, get a batch in Mahishpura matching the inventory provided to you. They'll send a diplomat to welcome you and keep you under surveillance. You'll need to give them the slip here, at Tirana. Next, meet the man you sent out with the weapons. And be careful. The Jaranuka don't believe in private property, so the weapons will put you in a tough spot. If, and only if you are caught, refer the authorities to the Badakheda clan. They'll help clear you. And remember, if all else fails, deny any connections to state."

"Why? Can't you get us out diplomatically?" Asked Advik.

 "Because I won't. We can't risk another war." He replied.

The words shocked Advik. He didn't expect to be abandoned by his own country. 

"Isn't this meant for specially trained spies. Why us then?" 

"There's a new prime minister in the Alliance. He has been wiping out all of our spies systematically. The few left don't want anything to do with that country and even if we sent for them now, winter would set in before they arrived here. This is our only solution." Said Mayank.

"We can't force you to do this, since you are a civil servant; but if you don't, innocent lives will be lost. Think of the countless children who live in the villages past the wall. The cities, one of them your own hometown that could face their doom. If not for the nation, then atleast for your own family." 

Advik scoffed.

"Those cute little pups that roam the streets. I know you care for them. I have seen you feed them on the daily." Said Kevalya.

"The Dragons." He continued, "They swallow men whole. Imagine what a dragon would do to those pups. They'd be juicy little candies for it."

" haah..." sighed Advik, "Fine. I'll do it. But don't expect me to go into the dragons lair."

"Don't worry; you won't have to. I'll do it. I volunteer for the mission." Announced Kevalya. 

Three months later.....

"Haah.. haah ...fuck this shit! Why did I ever agree to do this!"

The clamoring of claws against rocks broke out as he stumbled down the Burning Mountain, the bloodthirsty beast hot on his tail.

"Lord Pashupati, if I make it out of this alive, I'll come on a  pilgrimage." He prayed as another stream of flame narrowly missed him, burning away at his shawl. He had never been the most pious but staring death in the face can do things to a man. He wasn't above bargaining with the gods for his little life after all. 

1