Interlude : Kevalya
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kevalya had had just about enough of waiting. She was playing him for a fool yet again. 

Irritated, he stomped his way back to the village. He'd have some strong words with her when he got back.

His father had taught him to be gentle towards women but even he would overlook this. 

Just because she was the Chaudhary's daughter doesn't mean she could treat him like one of her servants!

Then it hit him. The smell came first. Next the signs in the sky. A horrid pillar of smoke rose into the air high above.

Then the he felt the heat as he emerged into the clearing overlooking his little border village. 

He saw the beast tear into the cobbler's son. It gulped him down like a juicy grape. He stood paralyzed with fear, his eyes searching desperately for any sign of his father. Nothing. He hoped they had escaped. 

He felt a chill run down his spine. He turned to look at the beast. It stared right into his eyes as it tore into it's next pray. 

He noticed the belt on this one. It was her. 

He wailed and screamed but no sound came out of his throat. And then he ran. Deep into the forest. He ran and ran and ran until he could run no more.

Then nothingness consumed him.

The next time he awoke, he found himself on a hardwood berth. The barracks of Mehrgadh. A figure in full armour loomed over him, the shame and humiliation on his face only eclipsed by the tears streaming down.

He had only one word to say.

"Sorry."

He placed something on Kevalya's lap. It was black and charred. Ashen even and it had had a name once.

"Father!.... Noooooo..." he wept.

The Senapati could only repeat one word.

"Sorry."

1