Interlude : The Premier
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone likes to talk about how they would change the world if only they had the power to do so, but no one ever talks about the effort required to institute even the most minor changes to a society. 

A myriad of things need to be considered. The power balances, resource distribution, short term and long term impacts of policies on the public and the system of governance.

Least of all, the amount of sacrifices needed to bring your vision into reality.

He had the vision, he had the power, he even had the resources and yet he felt impotent; now more than ever. In the grand scheme of things a war or two might not seem like much, but each of them requires justification and propaganda work. Cartloads of paperwork too. 

He hadn't stepped over the bodies of his opponents to reign as just another piddling monarch. Forgotten into the annals of history.

But now he had his war. The Wu empire was going through a succession crisis and one of their diplomats had had an unfortunate 'accident' while providing consolation for the previous emperor's demise.

It was time to seize territory. Unite the middle kingdoms and one day even the federation would kneel before him.

A messenger walked in.

"Sire, a hawk arrived this morning with a message from our troops in the federation. Aryan's squad has been eliminated. Aryan himself is missing. They are returning home." He said.

"What of Kartarpur?" The Premier asked.

"They have spotted the assailants fleeing northwest. It is suspected that Rana Jagjit is among them."

"Jagjit huh? That means Mehrgadh has caught on. Have you found out who's aiding them?" 

"No sire, no such luck. Though we suspect it is one of the northeastern clans."

"I see. Dispatch a company to our southwestern border with Wu. Inform them to keep an eye out for Jagjit and his squad. Capture him alive. He'll tell us who the traitors are."

"As you wish, sire." He bowed and left.

1