Chapter 1 – Born along with the Thunder’s Roar (I)
58 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 - Born along with the Thunder’s Roar (I)

Although many people still had memories of the previous dynasty in their minds, with the new reforms and innovations by the new emperor, the people gradually became familiar with the rules of the new dynasty and the laws made by prominent individuals.

During the 4th year of the Yuan calendar, the new emperor, Zhao Pu, announced a new marriage law. Named as ‘’Monogamy’’ under the conditions of man and woman marriage, they are not allowed to remarry.

Less than a year after the implementation of the new law, many aristocrats wrote different objections, believing that the law was not beneficial to the development of the male children of the Xia Dynasty. In the autumn of the 4th year of the Yuan calendar, the new emperor made a law that if the man had no heir before the age of 30, he would be allowed to have a mistress or concubine. Otherwise, it was considered illegal.

In fact, the matter of having concubines was that the people who do not give birth to children did not investigate. The people readily accepted the new emperor's policy, not only because he ousted the old king of the Zhou Dynasty, but also because of his tax reduction policy. Only in the past ten years had the Xia dynasty gradually moved towards stability and prosperity.

In the twelfth year of the Yuan calendar, there was a century’s rare rainstorm in the Xili city during the autumn season.

The whole city was engulfed with dark clouds. Although it was midday, it looked like it was late at night. The sky and earth almost coalesced in one line. Clouds hovered so near the ground, troubling the residents. The rain fell like a downpour, and it was blurry everywhere. There was already half a meter of water on the ground. The shops on both sides of the street had already closed their doors and windows, only the signboard plaque made a fluttering sound in the wind and heavy rain.

Xili City was located next door to Kyoto City and the weather had always been placid. There had never been any natural or man-made disaster, but now, the rain poured for three days straight. The water on the street was almost over the threshold. Seeing that the weather had no chance of clearing anytime soon, the Xili residents could not help but feel fear in their hearts.

While everyone agonized on the possibility of flooding, a different kind of worry was felt in a small quiet courtyard that was hidden in a deep passageway in Beicheng. This small courtyard was owned by the Guan Family. At this moment, the Guan family's Madam Luo was in labor. Yet, as though frightened by the storm, the child in her belly decided to stay in her mother's womb. This caused fret to pervade the Guan family. It had already been three days since the little Guan was supposed to come out.

With a pale face, Madam Luo forced herself to stay awake, although she was rapidly losing her breath. Meanwhile, her husband, Guan Da Ye, busied himself at the front of the door where she lay, nervously walking back and forth as beads of sweat gathered on his forehead. The furniture in the hall was very simple. The furnishings were all sculpted from ordinary wood, but they were clean and placed orderly and they looked neat and comfortable.

"My son, sit down and wait. I feel dizzy when you walk around." A feminine voice reprimanded before sighing. The one who spoke was a woman sitting near the front door of the hall, a table with a cooled cup of tea laying in front of her. The woman was about forty years old, her hair neatly combed in a bun with a silver pearl hairpin inserted in, making her look decent and well-managed.

"It's been a few days now, can't she give birth quicker?" Guan Da Ye complained, his voice tinged with anxiety as he stopped in his tracks and constantly switched gazes from his mother and the door where his wife was in.

At this moment, a weak scream suddenly filled the hall, causing Lord Guan to feel like a stone had dropped into his stomach. Matron Guan's face also paled in worry.

"Push harder!"

As the last note fell, lightning flashed across the dark sky, its thundering roar causing people's ears to ring.

At the same time, in the small room, Madam Luo who was on her last breath suddenly let out another, much louder roar.

Outside, Guan Da Ye could not help but form his hands into fists, his fingernails digging into his palms as he stared fiercely at the door. To him, the silence was much more deafening than the thunder's roar.

A few moments after, the midwife slid the door open, grinning widely, even though sweat trickled on her forehead.

"Born! The baby is born!" She said, her voice evident with relief.

 

 

 

2