Chapter 3 – The Little Guan (I)
32 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Meanwhile, back in the little room, Guan Da Ye was holding his new child, irritation flashing in his eyes. Aiya, why does this child look so red and wrinkly? So ugly, ah. He thought as he continued to look at the little Guan before making a face. Aiya, it really is so difficult to watch.

With a sigh, he carefully placed the little parcel into a basket on the heated brick bed, right next to the little child’s mother. After making sure the bundle was secured, Guan Da Ye sat on a chair next to his wife’s side. Seeing her pale face with her eyes closed, Guan Da Ye’s heart could not help but feel stifled. Reaching out to place the back of his hand against his wife’s face, Guan Da Ye could not help but sigh heavily right after. 

This was too difficult for him to watch. Three days, ah… he thought to himself before grimacing. Pushing himself off the seat, Guan Da Ye could not help but rush out of the room, aiming to go outside.

There, he found a rare faint blue amidst the stormy gray sky. The heavy rain that had lasted for three days finally stopped.

Back in the room, a few moments after, Madam Luo woke up, feeling a little dazed and panicked. After three days of prolonged pain from labor, she had abruptly fallen asleep for quite a while. She could only recall gathering her remaining strength to do one final push and after that…

At the reminder, Madam Luo’s hand-stretched to cover her own belly, her clear eyes filling with panic when she felt its flatness.

"My child…"

She struggled to sit up, her panicked eyes roving around the room before settling on the small bundle beside her. "My child," she whispered in relief, reaching out one hand to lightly touch the baby's swaddle.

"Oh, good to see you awake, drink this broth quickly,” Matron Guan said as she came in with a bowl of smoky broth. Seeing this, Madam Luo could not help smile faintly, the wrinkles in the corners of her eyes growing deeper.

"Thank you, mother." Madam Luo said with a weak voice as she carefully received the bowl. As she cooled the bowl, Madam Luo could not help but raise her eyes towards Matron Guan, worry apparent in her eyes. "Mother… Where is Dan Ye?"

"The rain outside stopped. So, he went to deal with the water at the front of the door. Otherwise, the water in the courtyard would not be able to retreat." Matron Guan explained as she sat on the chair that her son was previously sat in.

At that, the light in Madam Luo's eyes dimmed. She quickly bowed her head, her gaze flitting between her child and the bowl before her.

Noticing her daughter-in-law's gaze, Matron Guan reached out to pat Madam Luo's thigh.

"Whether the first child is a girl, you are still young. There will always be a son." Matron Guan said, thinking that Madam Luo was sad that she gave birth to a daughter. 

"Mother, your daughter-in-law knows. Has Dan Ye named our daughter?" Madam Luo asked with a smile, in between taking spoonfuls of the broth until it was finally empty.

"Just call her Sui Xi!" Matron Guan said, not even looking at the small bun as she took the empty bowl from Madam Luo's hands. "You can rest again. Don't go downstairs for these two days. Take a good rest at home."

As Matron Guan left without looking back, a sad look flashed through Madam Luo's eyes.

In the evening, First Master Guan returned home and his brother, the Second Master Guan, who had studied in the academy also returned. The two brothers, along with their mother, went back to the house after dinner.

Madam Luo was still a little weak, she was still lying on the Kang. Seeing Guan Da Ye come back, she anxiously tried to get up, "Husband..."

"Lie down, don't get up." Guan Da Ye said as he took off his coat, placed it to the side, and lifted a basin of water onto the three-forked st5and that stood in a corner. With a small clean towel, he started wiping himself off.

As he did that, Madam Luo discussed with him about the child's bath that is going to be held on the 3rd day of birth.

 

2