Chapter 10 – Hopeful (II)
21 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Abruptly, Old Lady Guan's voice cut through the room, sharp, steady, and void of emotion. “She doesn’t have a son to take care of." She said, pausing to place a kiss onto her grandson's cheek, a fond and warm smile on her face. Yet, her voice and the words she spoke were entirely the opposite. "It’s reasonable for her to pay respects to me. You, however, are different from her. You have Taiyu to attend.”

As the last note of Old Lady Guan's word fell, Madam Tan turned to look at Madam Luo, a helpless and awkward look on her face.

Though, it didn't entirely matter. Madam Luo kept her head bowed as she continued to arrange the dishes and place food into Old Lady Guan's bowl, acting as if she didn't hear the old woman's words.

Seeing the reactions of both her daughters-in-law, Old Lady Guan merely scoffed. “Would it make any difference if she was more respectful to me? The big issue is to bore a son for our family.”

At that, Madam Luo merely bit her bottom lip light for a split moment before the corners of her mouth lifted to form into an unnatural smile.

“Mom, let me carry Taiyu. You’d better eat breakfast first.” Madam Tan quickly coaxed when she saw her sister-in-laws reaction. At the same time, she shot a sympathetic smile towards Madam Luo.

But, it seemed that her little son had other ideas. Little Taiyu Guan, so short and plump, babbled as they reached for the bun on Old Lady Guan's head. With a giggle, he managed to catch a few strands in his chubby little palm and quickly pulled them towards his body, causing Old Lady Guan to shriek in surprise.

"Taiyu, you naughty child! You've pulled out your grandmother's hair." Madam Tan chided, though a small smile lingered on her face.

However, after regaining her composure, the old lady merely held Taiyu’s little hand and gave it a kiss. “Aiya, though this boy is naughty, he will surely be clever in the future.”

Seeing the little child’s round, plump face and the affectionate gestures of the old woman, Madam Luo could not help but feel envious.

“Mom, you will spoil him.” Madam Tan said with a sigh.

“So?” Old Lady Guan chided back, hugging Taiyu close. “This is my only grandson! How can I not spoil my grandchild?” She added, casting a side-glance to Madam Luo before sneering.

In response, Madam Luo merely smiled helplessly and kept her head bowed as she kept serving Old Lady Guan. But, she couldn't help but feel sad and think: What about Sui Xi? Isn't she also your grandchild, Mother? This isn't fair...

A while later...

Madam Luo walked out of Old Lady Guan's room, carrying a tray full of the used bowls, glass, and chopsticks that the old lady used. As she walked away, she could hear the faint childish laughter of Taiyu and the coaxing voices of Old Lady Guan and Madam Tan.

‘How harmonious.’

With a sigh, she continued walking towards the kitchen. As she walked across the patio, she caught sight of Sui Xi’s thin figure by the door of the kitchen. A timid smile appeared on the little girl’s emaciated face. “Mom, you are back.”

“Yup. Let’s eat breakfast.” Lady Guan said as she walked forward until she was in front of her child. While balancing the tray on one hand, Lady Guan held out her other hand for Sui Xi to grab. Together, they walked forward and into the kitchen.

After transferring the bowls that still had food in them to the desk and placing the rest of the used dishes and tray near the sink, Lady Guan quickly laid out the breakfast that was reserved for her and her child.

After they finished their meal, Lady Guan coaxed Sui Xi to play in the kitchen area by herself. After all, she had to go to her sisters’ place to borrow some money. This was the only thing that she could do for her husband.

After seeing her mother off, Sui Xi fell into a daze as she sat on the stairs. She wanted to call out - to ask her mother to say. But, she could only keep quiet, as to not be a bother. Closing her eyes, Sui Xi’s fists curled into tight balls. But, quickly after, her eyes burst open. The throbbing pain in her heart just seemed to amplify while doing that. It was best to stop.

As she refocused on her surroundings, Sui Xi heard someone call her name.

 

2