Chapter 12 – This Cruel Fate (II)
28 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The saying that when you are poor, you wouldn’t be cared for by anyone even in the most crowded place, and when you are rich, you would be visited by distant relatives even if your home was within the deepest mountains.

Moments after, Lady Guan found herself standing in front of the door of a quadrangle consisting of three yards. After a few moments of hesitation, she steeled her heart and lifted her hands to knock on the door.

It was a maidservant with two buns that opened the door. She remembered she was the lady’s sister in the north after staring at her for a few seconds. “Please come in, Lady Guan. Enjoy the tea, please. I will ask our lady to come now.”

Lady Guan smiled and nodded shyly, sitting in the hall of flowers.

About ten minutes later, rustles of clothes rubbing came vaguely from the outside. A petite young woman of curvy sort walked in gracefully.

She resembled Lady Guan though she looked younger, maybe around twenty years old. With a dignified smile on the corner of her mouth, she sat down in the front seat in the flower hall and said in an amiable voice, “How do you get time to visit me today, my second sister?”

“I’ve heard that you are pregnant. I came here to see you with cakes made of sour plums, which was your favorite in childhood.” Lady Guan said as she handed over the paper bag with cakes to her, with a flicker of envy in her eyes.

However, Lady Fan merely raised her handkerchief to cover her nose, mockery shining in her eyes. “What do you want, my sis?”

Lady Guan could only lower her head in embarrassment and place the bag on the table. She just wanted to turn around and left in face of her sister’s contempt. But what she could do was endure the humiliation so that her husband could have a job. Therefore, she uttered her intention in a low voice. “We are in short of money... So, I want to borrow some from you.”

“What kind of job would the underdogs like Guan Yanbo be equal to? You are the only one who believes he is competent”, said Lady Fan, her face grim.

“You should show some respect to him as he is your brother-in-law, my little sister.” Lady Guan retorted as she stood up, a wave of faint anger under her eyes.

“Is he capable of being a brother-in-law? Never mind. You are my sister. Though, I can't give you too much money. Here are ten silver taels, take it. But, remember. I have told you that Guan Yanbo is a fickle person and you should reconsider your marriage to him. Think it over again." Lady Tan said as she ordered her little maidservant to fetch ten taels of silver in the room. Once the money arrived, Lady Tan personally placed it in an exquisite purse and shoved it into her sister's hands.

Lady Guan held the purse tightly in her hands, her lips pressed together until they turned white. After a few seconds, she said in a small voice,  “No matter how your brother-in-law is, it is my destiny to marry him and live with him.”

With that, she quickly kowtowed to her sister as she thanked her for her generosity before heading home.

The ten taels of silver borrowed from her sister and the silver she put aside barely rounded up to twenty taels. Lady Guan gave it to her husband as soon as she returned home. As he received the money, Lord Guan lifted Lady Guan off her feet and spun her around, laughing. He then informed her that he had met a special man in the pub whom he asked help for, which would offer a job for him.

In less than two months, Lord Guan had got an errand to do. He worked in the tax office to charge tax from door to door. It should have been a lucrative job, but Lord Guan only got a salary of two taels of silver per month, for he had been excluded in the office as nobody.

But it was still a big fortune for Sui Xi’s family.

So, Lord Guan kept working in the office and worked hard.

However, people would never be satisfied. Lord Guan slowly grew to despise his job.

2