01: A white Winter Town
114 3 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The horn blared, signaling the train's departure. The clunky metal moved and smoke rose to the ceiling from the chimney. Sparks flew from the tracks as the metal moved towards the exit of the Central Station.

As the train began to move, a black light expanded above the railway, right where it had to pass through to exit the station. It stretched and expanded, and within seconds became large enough to fit the train. After the black light had stopped its growth, and red streaks had begun to run over the black surface, another blaring sound came from the train's horn.

Then, without pause, the train drove right into the black portal, the dented and deformed wagons following the locomotive in tow. The wagons seemed as if they would break down any moment, however, miraculously they kept together and eventually disappeared in the black portal.

Fran took her eyes off the scene after the black light shrank and vanished. She glanced around the bustling Central Station of Winter Town. On the platform she stood on, families, couples, friends and those alone had relief on their faces as they organized themselves. Kids rubbed their tired eyes, some complained to employees about the ride, and others just rested on benches. Knights also stood around the platform and briefed each other on the situation, some nodded at her as their gazes met, others eyed her with suspicion.

The whole scene was plausible, as the train ride had arrived at its destination quite late and with no small amount of turmoil.

She turned her head and looked at one of the big clocks hanging around the Central Station. 11:17 PM showed its fingers, more than three hours after the initially planned arrival time.

Fran brushed a few blonde strands out of her vision and then glanced around the other platforms. The white and black marble housed a myriad of passengers waiting for their trains or leaving them. Trains left and arrived through similar black portals, their loud horns sometimes deafening. And somehow, the train service did not stop or slow despite the current season and incidents happening inside those portals.

With a sigh, Fran turned around, her black dress and black short velvet cape on her shoulders flowing with her small spin. She walked past the people on the platform, down the platform towards the ground layer. After a minute or two of walking through a large busy hallway and past an employee apologizing for the inconvenience of the ride, Fran exited the station.

Fragile snowflakes fell from the sky on the wide scenery of Winter Town, a city stretching out wide across her vision. Golden lights from street lamps and windows illuminated the city covered in snow. Stars blinked on the clear night sky behind a tall tower. A glowing clock at the near top of the tower touching the sky confirmed the time.

Fran stopped at the station's entrance and took in the wondrous town that lived eternally in winter. The fog from her warm breath obscured her vision sometimes, yet also mystified the scenery. She brought her gloved hands to her mouth and continued to admire the town she had only seen in paintings so far.

However, as she noticed others going around her, she walked down the stairs to not be a bother and then went along the street in the direction of the tall tower.

Despite the late hour, the wide street she walked on, was still full of bustle. Shops to her left and right lively lit up the walkway and the conversations of all sorts filled up the atmosphere. Lovers whispering, a group of girlfriends laughing, parents smiling at their tired kids, shouts from a full bar, and knights patrolling in their light armor. All kinds of sounds reached Fran's ears while she walked along the vibrant late evening streets.

A sound also escaped her. She walked past clothing stores, souvenir shops, bars, and of course cafes, bakeries and restaurants. The scent of pastries, soups, and sweets filled her nose. As she hadn't eaten something in a few hours, it shouldn't be a surprise her stomach would emit a quiet grumbling sound. With a hand on her complaining stomach, Fran strolled along the wide street, or boulevard as she better call it.

While deciding on what to eat, she eventually arrived at a plaza. A fountain in the middle spewed out white, glittering water while people sat beside it. Buildings on the sides housed various pubs, cafes, and bakeries. Every single one lit up and bustling with life. Street vendors also stood on some corners, selling warm beverages or food.

Fran stood on the street within the falling snowflakes and forgot for a moment her hunger. She let her eyes roam the lovely scene and myriad of people enjoying their late evening. The golden light of a street lamp right above her while she just stayed on the spot for a few minutes.

Her attention focused, however, as she spotted a grander building standing at the plaza. A diagonal street went from the plaza in the direction of the tall tower where the building stood. Knights dressed in white light armor stood at the entrance while a crest depicting a book wrapping around a sword hung above the double doors.

Her head tilted slightly to the side while she observed those going in and out of the building belonging to the Guild, under the scrutiny of the knights. The grandiose blue and black walls and roof stuck out among the smaller and painted in white buildings surrounding it. About six floors tall it overlooked its neighbors quite easily.

A sudden, small grumbling sound made Fran lean forward and clutch her stomach. She had totally forgotten the complaints from her midriff. After a short glance around, Fran straightened and walked to a cafe with an open front, a hand rubbing her stomach.

A few seconds of walking through the night bustle of the wide plaza later, she arrived at Ginette's Freetime, a cafe furnished with wooden tables and chairs and walls colored in a very soft blue. Plants and paintings served as accessories and golden lights floated under the ceiling, providing just the right amount of light in the night.

As Fran stood at the wide-open cafe front, her expression changed for the first time since arriving in Winter Town. She pressed her lips together and puffed her cheeks just a tiny bit.

The cafe had a calm atmosphere. A piano was slowly being played in the background and guests conversed in low voices while enjoying their coffee, pastries, or sandwiches. The scent of those coffees and meals filled Fran's nose and made her stomach protest even more. However, while not crowded, every table she saw seemed to be occupied already. Her cheeks puffed up even more while Fran stood at the entrance dismayed. She really liked the cafe's air…..

“Can't find a table, missy?” the mature voice of a woman whispered in her ear abruptly. Fran turned her head to the left and met a finger that pressed the air out of her pouting cheek. A charming face framed by brown hair belonging to a tall woman came into her view. Honey-colored eyes looked down at her with amusement.

“hmm….so? Can't find a table?” The woman asked once again while still poking Frans's cheek. Fran's little pout faded as the woman spoke, much to her visible regret, and with her usual tranquil expression restored, Fran nodded softly. While tapping Fran's cheek, the woman continued, “Then how about you share a table with me?”

Fran looked into the honey-colored eyes and thought about the offer for a moment. While she liked to observe others, during a meal she preferred quiet and to not be disturbed. The woman, a head taller than her, dropped the arm poking her cheek and settled it on her waist. To her, she didn't seem like someone that would leave her in peace while eating. Fran was about to decline when her stomach complained once more. A bit of color rose to her tranquil face.

“haha, I also have a sandwich that I had ordered and should have arrived while I was away. You can have it as a gift for accompanying me.” The woman spoke with laughter in her rather deep voice. Fran didn't hesitate when she heard she would get a free sandwich and nodded three times fast, inciting another laughter.

With the hand on her waist, the woman guided Fran through the cozy cafe. A few patrons followed them with their eyes and nodded at the woman. Some shook their head with a bemused smile, before continuing with their cozy evening. Too occupied with thoughts of her sandwich, Fran didn't notice the hand circling her waist.

A quiet corner, rather hidden away by a small wooden shelve and lush-green plants on it. Books of all kinds occupied the shelve.

The woman led Fran to the table suited in the quiet corner. The same ornate wooden table as the others in the cafe along with a comfy looking corner bench. Fran, however, focused on what sat atop the table.

Still slightly steaming, a hot chicken sandwich with a delicious smelling gravy sauce on it sat on a plat in the middle of the table. A mug with hot coffee stood beside it. Not bothering to say something, Fran got out of the woman's half embrace and strolled over to the table, causing the woman to laugh once more.

“Have a nice meal~,” The woman said while putting a hand before her mouth. She watched Fran taking the utensils beside the plate in hand. Her honey eyes warm and her laughter deep. As Fran cut the sandwich, the woman turned around and said, “I'm going to get you something to drink, sweety~.”

Fran only nodded once in response and resumed her cutting. She hasn't eaten anything for a few hours now and on the train ride, she used a bit of energy up fighting shadows.

Piercing the cut piece of steaming hot chicken sandwich, Fran brought it to her mouth and nommed it. Spicy, hot, and delicious. Fran closed her eyes in delight and chewed and the heavenly meal. A sound escaped her as she gulped and she felt the heat curse through her body.

As she cut out another piece, her lips formed just the tiniest of smiles but anyone could feel her happiness. Especially the returning woman. Her waist-length brown hair swayed as she walked over to the table with a steaming mug in hand.

Her eyes centered only on Fran as the girl put another bite into her mouth, happiness radiating from her completely different from her earlier tranquillity. However, it reminded the woman of the disgruntled aura the girl had shown earlier when she stood at the entrance.

With a smile, she sat down beside Fran and put down the steaming mug. Not saying anything she enjoyed the sight of Fran eating while playing with the girl's blonde hair.

The fingers on the clock moved, and after Fran had finished three-fourths of her sandwich, a man coughed from beside the shelves hiding the table from most eyes.
Fran didn't bother to raise her head and cut out another piece. While she nommed on it, she heard the charming voice beside her speak, the hand still playing with her hair.

“Old man, what would you bring here? There is not enough space for someone like you,” the woman said from beside her. She leaned back against the comfy backrest but didn't let go of Fran's hair.

“Haaa…your little past time cafe is not something my subordinates would dare cause trouble in, so I had to come myself for some business, Ginette,” a wizened hearty voice replied to the woman, Ginette in a calm manner.

Fran glanced at Ginette and then at the old man standing beside the table. He leaned on a simple white wooden cane and wore a cozy brown sweater and black pants. Glasses rested on his nose, shielding his warm gray eyes as they met with Fran's greyish-pink eyes. He smiled at her, however, Fran averted her glance from the inhuman within the old man and continued to eat.

“What do you want, Hendricks?” Ginette asked while she stared at Hendricks with no small amount of distrust. She put the arm playing with Fran's hair around the girl's waist, making her stance clear.

“As you guessed, I have come for the girl you seem to have taken a liking to,” Hendricks said in his usual hearty tone. He walked to the table, and after setting aside his cane, also sat down on the corner bench. “I'm here to ask her about the incident at the train….and thank her for her help.”

“Ohh? Another incident with the trains? At this season? What a surprise,” Ginette said in mock. She glanced at Fran eating with that happy aura and said, “However, your last part does strike me curious. How did a cute girl like this help you?”

Fran ignored the heat rising to her cheeks after hearing the last part and took the mug Ginette has placed beside her in hand. The hot chocolate within still steamed a bit and while she would have preferred a brandy, she didn't complain and took a hearty sip. Her eyes closed themselves and a sigh escaped her as the drink warmed up her body.

The other two stopped conversing and focused on the happy Fran. Her face still only had a tiny smile, but her pleased atmosphere brought a smile to both of them.

Fran put the mug down after taking another sip and proceeded to cut out the second last piece of her sandwich. Taking it in her mouth, her mood rose even further.

Some more minutes of Fran eating slowly later, the fork and knife clattered against the empty plate. Fran leaned back into the arm of Ginette and sighed. She glanced at both Hendricks and the charming Ginette. Do they like watching other people eat that much? They both looked at her with faces even more pleased than her.

“ehem, so…Miss? Would you mind?” Hendricks recovered a few moments later and asked Fran.

6