Chapter 24 – Hermes’ Kicks
491 1 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The boss goblin rose from its seat, materialized a spear, and started bleeding. This was a sign that it went berserk.

James himself never tested his hypothesis about the berserk monsters and potion vials again, fearing the berserk monster, but his senior explorer Mike did, and was very pleased with the results. According to him, every time the berserk skeleton boss attacked him, its bones shattered to pieces. This made it a lot easier for him to clear through that particular floor.

James moved quietly, in order to not attract the goblin’s attention. The goblin, like last time, threw a fit of rage, and started swinging its spear randomly. James took this opportunity to throw one of his knives, and then scampered away quietly. The knife cut into the goblin’s wrist, making one of its arms basically useless. The goblin roared again and threw itself in the direction of James’ previous location, but he was already gone.

The goblin was confused again. It didn’t have a sense of smell that it could use to track James down, so it was again stranded. It eventually ended up doing what it did best: swinging the spear. James, decided it was time to throw another knife. However, this time, the goblin moved out of the way as it was attacking thin air. The knife flew past the goblin and then clattered on the floor the opposite direction from James. The goblin, hearing this, turned in that direction and charged.

“I missed, but I should be fine. As long as it doesn’t find me, I can always camp it out. Eventually, it will bleed out.”

But as James grabbed a third throwing knife out of his storage bag, the goblin that was charging in the opposite direction stepped on the knife, tripped, and slammed its forehead into the ground. Its body began to glow, and then it disappeared, leaving behind a magic stone and a drop item.

“…”

James was stunned. It happened again! The berserk boss monster slipped and died again. He took consolation in the fact that he had things under control this time: he was still confident that he would be able to kill the boss goblin next time. However, something else that pissed him off was the fact that there was a drop item. He felt that every time he killed something on accident, he got a drop item. He’d gotten his knife from accidentally wiping out the group of goblins. He got his armor, which, thankfully, he’d never had to actually use, from the boss goblin tripping on a potion vial. And now, the boss goblin tripped on one of his throwing knives and left another drop behind. His head hurt.

James walked around the room to go picked up his stuff: his potion vials, his throwing knives, and the magic stone of the berserk goblin. The magic stone was the normal magic stone of a berserk tier 2 monster. Then, James looked at the drop item. Or, items, plural, to be exact. It was a pair of shoes.

At first glance, they looked like some kid who didn’t get enough attention tried to paint a pair of metal boots. However, the color was too nice to be spray painted. They were a vibrant silver color with gold streaks, and the boots themselves were very stylish and streamlined. However, the most eye-catching things about them were the pair of wings on the heels. It reminded James of a very famous pair of shoes, in mythology.

James brought his card and tapped the boots to appraise them.

[Shitty Replica of Hermes’ Fabulous Kicks

 Grade: Unique

 Stats:  Speed +15%

 Passive: Decrease Air Resistance

 Active: Through the use of mana, can create platforms in the air]

“…”

James didn’t even know where to start. “Fabulous Kicks”? “Shitty Replica?” What the hell was that supposed to mean? Why was the interface for this item way different from the other items?

When he calmed down, he realized he did have the answers to some of the questions. This item was definitely better than the other two drop items he got, the knife and the armor. Even if it was a replica, it was still based off of a godly relic. It’s effects were clear, and were very strong. As for why he got this item…was it because of his luck? James heard that items with the unique status this weren’t common at all. Most items were common or rare. Apparently, a veteran explorer would only have one or two items like this.

This was definitely a very nice piece of equipment. Especially because, as he got stronger, it would still continue to be useful to him, because it gave a percent increase in speed, not a flat increase.

James put the shoes on, and ran around for a bit. He definitely felt an increase in his running speed, and could speed around faster.

“This feels so weird. I can just run faster now. I’m not used to it, yet I have perfect control over it. I don’t feel like I’m going to run into the walls at all.”

Was it the power of the dungeon that allowed him to immediately adapt to his newfound speed?

James now had his boots, knife, throwing knives, and armor for equipment from item drops. The truth is, you could buy equipment from the dungeon shop, but all the special items had to come from drops. James, however, got ridiculously good luck and got many item drops, and now had a lot of equipment.

“Well, I suppose it’s time to go for another round. I have to collect those orbs, so I can get stronger.”

James walked through the door.

====================

7 hours later, James had cleared the dungeon 9 times, and found one more orb.

“These boots definitely help me move through the dungeon more quickly. Although, I can’t jog throughout the entire floor. I don’t have the stamina to do that yet. But, it should only take me about 2 months in order to max out my strength stat. Oh, it’s time to wake up.”

He hadn’t seen Mike, Leah, or Beck tonight, but that was alright. He had plenty of time to talk to them.

James exited the dungeon and woke up on his bed. Yawning, he sat up. He tore off his nightclothes and pulled on his shirt and pants. Then, he walked out of his room and headed downstairs to eat breakfast.

James, after running the dungeon, now had the opportunity to make a lot of money. Although he hadn’t exchanged any points for cash yet, he would do so when he had set up an excuse for his income. But, he believed that waiting until he was on the 2nd floor and making more money was better. He promised himself that when he did so, he would treat his parents. Actually, he should do something nice for them soon anyways.

With these thoughts in his mind, he headed to school.

18