Chapter 210
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 210: Next Time

-Emelia’s POV-

The day was halfway over when the training ground was cleared, for the match. I stood next to my sister and brother-in-law. Hugh’s group of knights stood around and seemed eager for some excitement. Hugh and Val stood with just the swords available. Hugh put on a stern expression.

My sister's husband, Elias, laughed a bit next to me.

He bent his head toward Rose who stood a little in front of him.

Elias: “I’d say like father like son.”

She shook her head and tilted her head in his direction to speak.

Rose: “Your lucky my father was only testing you. I can’t believe my brother is doing this.”

Emelia: “Will it prove anything, Rose?”

She turned toward me and then back at them.

Rose: “I think it’s just a rivalry among men. If nothing else, it’ll be a normal sparring match, with a prize at the end.”

Elias: “It’s been a few months since you last picked up the sword. Are you going to join them?”

Elias smiled at Rose with curious eyes.

She smirked as she looked at the two in the middle of it all.

She closed her eyes and said in a playful tone.

Rose: “Those two wouldn’t last if I joined in.”

I could see the love for my sister in Elias’ eyes as he looked at her. His lips smiled, and a laugh came from his nose.

————

Emelia’s heart pounded as someone called a starting signal. The two were each coated in a thin veil of mana.

The swords hit one another with force and without mercy. They stood close to each other, their faces a foot apart.

The sword's contact was the only thing keeping them that way. Val’s lips moved for a moment. He smiled. Hugh didn’t like what he heard. He pushed off. Val slid back.

Hugh grasped his sword and changed positions. He threw the sword straight at Val. Just as the blade hit Val’s sword, Hugh moved forward. Val tossed his sword aside. He was ready to use brute force to hold back Hugh.

The ground became a mat for the two to tangle. The side of Hugh’s fist bashed against Val’s ribs. The tendons in Val’s jaw tighten with every hit.

Val focused on keeping Hugh from pinning him down, but without even thinking, he rammed his bare elbow into Hugh’s shoulder. But this stopped Hugh’s attacks. This action was repeated by Val once more.

Rose: “I don’t think wrestling in the mud is a good test.”

Leon walked out from the other side of the match, raised his arm, and spoke aloud.

Leon: “Get out of the mud you animals. You're not proving anything just hugging each other!”

Elias spoke once more.

Elias: “I guess I was wrong, more like father like daughter.”

Emelia let out a giggle. Once she turned back to the match, the two men were standing. Val held his side and waited for Hugh to move.

The match lasted for ten minutes before Leon stepped in.

Sylphy walked up to Hugh who held his arm.

She spoke for everyone to hear.

Sylphy: “That’s enough, Hugh! The both of you are beat up enough!”

She then spoke only to him out of earshot of anyone else.

Sylphy: “Stop this bellicose behavior, Hugh. It’s not appealing.”

Hugh: “It's too late..”

Sylphy: “Unless you want to sleep alone for the foreseeable future.”

The glare she gave him made him look unsure and a tad bit worried.

Hugh didn’t know what to do. Backing out now would only give Val the approval to court his sister. Hugh also would look weaker than Val.

He closed his eyes to think and opened them to an idea.

He smiled and picked Sylphy up on his unhurt shoulder.

He pointed at Val. His tone lost the aggression and was playful. It was like Hugh was speaking to Val like he used to.

Hugh: “This isn’t over Val. Be ready to finish this another day! Just be happy that I like spoiling my adorable wife, otherwise, you’d be toast!”

Val: “Then I’ll wait for the next challenge!”

Hugh looked back at Val who showed a light-hearted smile. He breathed out a laugh thinking about how much the man changed.

——————

-Val’s POV-

The greenhouse was as humid as ever. The air was thick and heavy. The scent of wood chips was noticeable.

Of course, Emelia’s perfume became a prominent aroma after a few moments of her being there.

It matched the life growing around us. It was sweet and floral. It matched her lovely smile, as well as the taste of her lips. When I first arrived at this manor, I never would have surmised I’d be in a glass building up next to a girl.

Following orders and doing my duty as a knight was what kept my life in check. I never really saw any issue with that life. I enjoyed the time I spent with his highness as well as those he collected beside him.

Knowing his personality and how much he cared for Princess Sylphy, it was obvious that he would go after her. Being left behind was a bit unexpected, but it was my duty to help him in any way I could.

When I first noticed Emelia, she seemed like a lost deer. She looked at me with a perplexing expression and then left. And out of nowhere she became attached to me as if we both confessed our love for one another.

Even though I was resistant, I did enjoy certain moments. She reacted to certain situations in many different fashions.

She would pout like a puppy. The curving of her lips at every greeting. The slight crinkle on her nose when she got frustrated.

At some point, within a few weeks, she gradually weaned her way through my barriers. I started to enjoy seeing her every day.

Even if I showed no sign of attraction, she’d always be the same, with more love to share than anyone I have ever seen. Then that day when we walked through town.

She thought she failed to gain my favor, but I think she gained some ground. She needed no trickery or tactics. All she had to do was be herself.

My eyes were watchful over her the entire time we were in town. Protecting her gave me an excuse to look at her and study her without restraint.

I intentionally allowed her to be closer. I started giving in to the idea of maybe letting down my walls, but only until that night did I truly give in.

—————

To be continued

1