Ch. 2 New Horizon
28 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Gonna take a break here, and maybe write some more today and post tomorrow when I have more ideas. Writing dialogs is weird when I lack enough vocab to describe the situation. Something to work toward in the future. Enjoy the chapter!

         It has been a week since I have been born into wherever it is I am residing. The local landscapes are unfamiliar, and the people here are an interesting bunch. I have seen bizarre beasts when mom took me  home and the people of this village seem to gear themselves toward hunting and gathering. 

 

Trees are plentiful as evidence by the number of wooden houses I have spotted. The man that came to visit us is my new father, and the woman clutching me is my new mother. I only just build to this conclusion when she lay me on something like a cradle and proceeded to cook and he came into our house. Subsequently it was an embarrassing moment as I lay staring there at the couple exchanging a passionate kiss. 

The shadow stretches as far as the eyes can see, and soon darkness fell upon the village. It was a peaceful night as mother prepare to ladle stew into two bowls. Which is then served to my father with a basket of hot bread rolls. Then her attention returns to me as I lay in the cradle, her fiery eyes held amusement as I look up at her. I don't know how I feel about having my mother dropping her sleeves and cooing me to suck her breast. It has already been a long week, but this is still as embarrassing and awkward as always. I had to convince myself that this is the only food I got, and it would ire mother if I didn't take her offer. Fuck it, is all I can tell myself as I suck on her left breasts. My father laughed at my hesitation while dipping hot bread into his stew. Mother joins him and soon their conversation left me clueless as usual.

After dinner, I was wrapped up again, and it was a peaceful moment where father and mother would talk and me listening. I can overhear everything just fine, but I have no idea what any of it even means. Sleep came to me as I lost my focus on the conversation, and soon I left for dreamland. Memories unfold as I recall things I believed I have forgotten. It's been so long since I last remember what it was like to learn a new language. Tedious would thoroughly describe how I felt when I took learning English as a goal. It was hard, and I have had to repeat some words a bit too many times for my liking. 

The fact that everyone uses and speak the language just drove me to want to learn it even faster. The alphabets as I remember was a nightmare, my dad never let me move on from one letter to the next until I can enunciate that one letter correctly. Looking back at it all, I can say that I wish I could say thank you to him for drilling that into me. Unfortunately, he passed when I was only fifteen, and that hit both me and mom hard. I was still below average with English at the time, I can speak it and write, but it was still broken. 

It was also kind of funny that I made friends that I would have never made if I didn't suck so hard at speaking English. It took me three years to learn the alphabet and understand stringing words into sentences. Then another two years to understand how to properly string words together to make sense of written and spoken words. A total of five years of constant hard work, and now it seems like history is about to repeat itself. 

I woke up and was met by dad as he leans down to kiss mom before getting dress. His body has scars running deep from his shoulder to his back, and just as much in the front. I don't know what he does for a living, but I think I can put it in the category of dangerous. He left the house after finishing putting on his left boot and stocking up his bag. We didn't see him for months as my mother took care of me and started to teach me their alphabet. Thank the lord that it wasn't pictographic, I know I would have had a hard time trying to wrap my mind around a thousand or more symbols. 

year has passed, and now I am sitting with my mother as she is speaking to another man.

'Greetings, Sam. I hope we aren't disturbing you too much, but I need to administer my son into your early education course.'

'Ahh- so that is what this visit is about. Here I thought you were about to berate me for dragging your husband to join the exploration.'

'No, nothing like that, but I am still angry that you got him to join another expedition to the northern Kivas frontier.'

'It's hard for us not to rely on Bartus when he is our most seasoned warrior and hunter. The chief has also placed a request for him to join this expedition and train the youngins.'

'Ughh... All you guys ever talk about is exploring and hunting the magic beast of Kivas. But I need Bartus the most right now when I just had my baby this year.'

'Irlite just turns one year old, and I need someone to take care of him and teach him our languagesystem, and customs. Considering you have caused me plenty of trouble, I think it is about time I cash in this favor.'

'You gotta be kidding me Saerin, I just barely got out of teaching the kids this year. They are all troublesome to manage, and gods forbid how many times I have to search when one goes missing.'

'This is not a negotiation Sam, and I need you to accept my son and teach him while I attend to the wounded. The healers are stressed as is when I had to take a leave of absence with the birth of Irlite. If you wish to not have me heal a broken bone in the future, then say no and walk away right now.'

'Ahhh- dammit Saerin, this isn't fair. Alright, I will only take in Irlite and try my best to take care and teach him while you are at work.'

'Good. I better not catch you mistreating my son, or else I will storm your house and show you what an angry mother Kafka can do.'

'You got my promise. I won't carry out such thing less I want to lose an arm and a leg. Please spare me any more trouble and leave, you can send little Irlite here before going to work tomorrow.'

Mr. Sam was trembling for dear life when mother smile with satisfaction while directing him her death glare. I could only decipher that his name was Sam and that my mother needed someone to take care of me. I was also glad to learn mother's name in this exchange between her and Mr. Sam.

0