Long Ride Home
263 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Earth, Low Orbit, North America, DSC 'Thor'

Wrex stood on the bridge of Thor, arms crossed over his chest plate, the view screen in front of him displaying the live feed of the camera watching one of the rear loading ramps. He watched as the last of Strike team Majestic landed on and filed up the ramp as it started closing. He swiped the image off the display.
Wrex: "Helm, set course for Draconia, Commander, you have the Bridge." He said heading for one of the doors to leave the room, he was answered with confirmations from the corresponding bridge crew as the doors opened for him and closed again as he passed through them. He had his own quarters, being Captain gave him the privilege, but Strike teams had shared quarters, and Fury, was his Strike team, his friends, his family, it wouldn't be right for him to sleep separate when away on a mission together. And sleep is what he needed right now, He had been up for the last 40 hours, although he had trained in the past and done worse, when you're sitting or standing for hours on end doing next to nothing, it's worse than actually doing something.

He entered the team's quarters finding every one asleep... Almost everyone anyway... In their bunks, Eishin, Clayne and Star Light... But no Skylen, he sighed... Any other Strike Team Leader would check to make sure he was on board via the tracker in his Gauntlet and gone to bed. But this team was his family, if he wasn't here then something was the matter. And he had a feeling where to find him.

Ten minutes later he entered the doors to the level 3 of engineering, the maintenance catwalks, no one really ever came up here, unless of course there was a problem. And there he was, leaning against the guard rail, at the end of the catwalk Wrex was standing on, on the circular section the surrounded the top of the humming active drive core for the ship. He started pacing toward him and made it half way down the catwalk before Skylen spoke without ever turning his head.
Skylen: "I was wondering how long it would take you to come find me, if you were even going to come at all, brother". Wrex stepped up beside him and also looked out to the pulsating humming core in front of them.
Wrex: "Of course I'd come find you, what do you take me for?, Anyway thought you wanted some of that beauty sleep you mentioned?" Skylen scoffed back at him,
Skylen: "Couldn't." he replied
Wrex: "What's eating you?"
Skylen: "Who said something's bothering me?"
Wrex: "Because you just said you couldn't sleep and you're up here on your own all down in the dumps when you should be chilling in the quarters with the team, so obviously something's off."

Skylen stood quiet for a good couple of minutes, they both just stood there in silence, interrupted only by the drive core going all but silent as the core switched from normal drive speed to using the Heart of the Vanguard, located in another room as the ship made a 'Jump', making the ship shudder slightly as it did so. Almost seemingly bringing Skylen out of his trance,
Skylen: "Do you ever think about your mother?" He asked very sullenly. Wrex turned to look at him
Wrex: "OUR mother, yes of course, why...?" Skylen cut him off with a scoff,
Skylen: "Please, she might have taken me in, but she is not my real mother"...
Wrex: "Oh come on! Skylen!? How many times have we been through this?! She is much your mother as mine, she raised you from a hatchling along side me, she is OUR mother, they are OUR parents and I am YOUR brother... Besides, the number of times you've been offered DNA matching to find you birth mother you always cowered out at the last moment. Which has got to be saying that you must be more or less happy with what you have? Surely?..." Skylen's head dropped slightly, followed by a few seconds silence from both of them before Wrex spoke again "...Sorry... I always forget it can't be easy for you..."

Skylen: "I am happy with what I have, loving parents, a supportive brother..." He cast a glance back to Wrex with a some what forced smile "...and a loving partner who knows what almost exactly I'm going through." Wrex focused his attention harder on Skylen on those last words.
Wrex: "You know... Don't you?..." He pointed at him.
Skylen: "As to why we're all being pulled out?, Of course I do..." Raising his gauntleted right arm an giving it a shake "...it pays to be bedding someone from the royal household." He finished with a sly look and a wink. His look was met with complete understanding from Wrex,
Wrex: "Ahhh, of course... Reikon... That girl will get you into trouble one day you know. So she told you?... About her mother?..." Skylen gave a slow nod... "...What did she say exactly?"

Skylen: "Well, understandably, she's a bit upset, took me a bit of effort to get it out of her, but basically she has a disease, although manageable, we have no cure and it does shorten her lifespan somewhat, doctors are saying that she should retire sooner than originally planned to give her any chance of having a decent number of years ahead of her."
Wrex: "So you know and have worked out why we need to head back?" He probed, seeing what else he knew.
Skylen: "Because apart from Axis Mundis the other worldly clans are not as settled as to who they want ruling the planet,... I've heard some places are even experiencing riots... So we're being called back to provide assistance." Wrex nodded, every word of that correct,
Wrex: "Indeed... Not a word to anyone though until we get back and the news is dished out, I don't want this becoming an issue with potential false rumours flying around." Again silence fell on them for a short time.

Skylen: "You know she'd make a perfect ruler don't you?" Skylen spurted out.
Wrex: "Wait, what? Who?" Wrex said, confused by the abrupt and slightly lacking in context of a question.
Skylen: "Reikon, of course!" He replied.
Wrex: "Skylen, I don't know... You kn-" Wrex started replying but Skylen cut him off,
Skylen: "You can't be serious? You're telling me you telling me you'd rather have Arisu rule?"
Wrex: "I WAS going to say,... You know I don't like to get involved in politics, yes Reikon would be a good choice as overall, but Arisu might have better judgement... Maybe?" Skylen shook his head with a smile,
Skylen: "Yeah I can see why you don't get involved in politics". They both smiled, Skylen chuckled, then they both ended up chuckling which ended up in a deep laugh from both of them, after a short time calmed back down.

Skylen: "How come you and Star Light never really got together?" Skylen asked, seemingly linking the subject but changing it off of the royals at the same time. It was now Wrex's turn in taking time to answer.
Wrex: "We kinda did, and kinda didn't..."
Skylen: "What's that supposed to mean?" he asked confused.
Wrex: "Well... We see each other, but nothing serious, we're sort of, too close...." Skylen raised an eyebrow, confused more so now than before, Wrex noticing his look tried to reword his answer. "...*Sigh*- we... Hook up, occasionally, but, we can never be just more than friends and team mates."
Skylen: "But you refer to the whole team before as family... So if that was true, then she's what? A sister?" Skylen said, now trying to wind him up.
Wrex: "What?! Skylen?! Come on, don't do that! Don't ruin this for me!..." Wrex defended, Skylen chuckling again. "...Come on, enough, let's get some shut eye, at least for a couple of hours before we land yeah?" Wrex requested, trying to clear that last thought from his head, Skylen nodded and put his hand on Wrex's shoulder as they turned to leave, both still chuckling slightly as the left.

__________

Wrex awoke after only a couple of hours, he had set an alarm to get himself up in time for entering orbit, he had slept in his armour, out of speed and ease, meaning it didn't take him long to get ready. He left passed the other bunks. Only Star Light stirred to his movements,
Star Light: "Morning..." She croaked with a smile "...we there already?"
Wrex: "Morning..." he smiled and winked back "...Another hour or so, yeah. You want to get these other lazy shits up when gone?" She nodded and started pulling herself off the bed and he made for the door and for the bridge.

The bridge doors parted and was greeted by a "Captain on deck".
Wrex: "At ease." he responded, saluting Admiral Ro-shar as he stepped up beside him in the command chair and the Admiral returned the salute, and stood from the chair, gesturing Wrex to take over. Wrex shook his head,
Wrex: "No sir, unless that's an order, I have a different chair in mind today." The Admiral shrugged his shoulders and sat back down. Wrex walked towards the front of the bridge,
Wrex: "Helmsmen, with the greatest respects, you're both relieved..." They both turned to him stood between the pair of them, looking between them.
Helmsman 1: "Sir?" One on the left asked in confirmation.
Wrex: "I'm going to land the ship, you are relieved, both of you". They both looked to each other before gradually vacating their seats, the one on the right, although doing as ordered, questioned,
Helmsman 2: "Sir, this ship requires 2 pilots?" Wrex took the now vacant pilot's seat, started instantly tapping in commands.
Wrex: "Uh-huh, and who was it that told you that?" Wrex replied looking up to the co-pilot. The stumped ensign replied,
Helmsman 2: "Err... You did, sir?"
Wrex: "Hmmm, did I now?..." He said tauntingly before looking back at the controls. The pilot and co-pilot looked back at the Admiral, who again simply shrugged his shoulders, they both filed out to other unmanned consoles on the bridge.

The Admiral leant forwards in his chair,
Ro-shar: "Though I have no question regarding your talents, this is a little unorthodox, wouldn't you agree, Captain?" Without turning Wrex replied,
Wrex: "Maybe so, but I'm up for the challenge... And you know I'm more than capable".
Ro-shar: "Indeed, bring us home then, Captain." he stated with a smile leaning back in his chair, Draconia now filling the view port.

6