Chapter 2
1.6k 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, why are you up this early in the morning? Did your father give you a day off of your training?" Norah asked Timothy as she began to skip next to him in a very joyous way.

"My dad gave me an errand to run, but since I did it right away, I am just making a little detour on the way back. You may not be ready to start training yet, but don't forget that every kid in our township must begin cultivation training by the age of nine." Timothy responded with a big grin on his face. Knowing Norah's carefree personality, Timothy felt that she was not compatible with even the idea of pursuing the path of immortality.

"Hmph, I will let you say those things now, but don't blame me for being impolite if I surpass you!" Norah shaking both of her fists in the air said as her face became slightly red from anger. "You may be one year ahead of me, but my mother told me that depending on the individual's strength and abilities, one could be left behind even if they are able to work harder and longer."

Finally exiting the township, the two children started walking down an unusual path. However, because they were not paying any attention to their surroundings, neither knew where exactly they were heading towards.

"Well if you treat me any differently if you do end up surpassing me in cultivation level, do not try to ask for any discounts. One day I will be taking over our family's blacksmith business and I may be the only blacksmith in the area willing to even give you a normal offer to fix your equipment or special items." Timothy said to Norah in a joking type of way as Norah began swinging her fists towards him in retaliation for teasing her so much.

As her first swing missed Timothy completely, Norah's second fist hit Timothy's hand slightly enough to cause him to fall backwards. However, instead of releasing her hand from his, Timothy's inexperience had gotten the best of him as both he and Norah fell down a very steep hill. After rolling downwards for only ten seconds, Timothy couldn't stop himself from laughing very hard as he saw Norah's hair change and was full of leaves from the trees all around them which fell onto the ground.

"I will get-" as Norah began to try and scold Timothy for what he had caused, her face began to change and started to become slightly pale as she stared at something behind Timothy. After only a breath of time, Timothy noticed that Norah seemed to be frightened of something and he stopped laughing and froze in place.

However, once he turned around, there was nothing that could harm the two children behind Timothy, instead there was a demon beast's corpse. In order to learn the skills of becoming a blacksmith, Timothy learned how to read very early on in his life and so he read books about demon beasts. Therefore, he was not afraid since the demon beast was obviously dead with its head chopped off near the rest of its body.

While Norah was trying to recompose herself since Timothy reassured her that the demon beast in front of them was dead, Timothy chose to inspect the dead beast to see if there was anything he could bring back as spoils.

This particular demon beast reminded him of the bear-like beasts he read about in some of the books, however, this beast had big antlers on its head. Quickly, Timothy used his own interspatial ring in order to bring out a small dagger he had made during one of his father's tests and began cutting the skin around the antlers so that he could place them within his ring for safekeeping until the two children got back along with anything else he felt would be good enough to bring back with him.

Unfortunately, the ring he had was not big enough to fit the entire dead demon beast within, so he needed to really think about what he could take off of the corpse. What was also unfortunate, was that when he began trying to skin the corpse for its hide, his dagger showed signs of dulling due to how thick the corpse's skin was. Norah was unable to watch Timothy so she simply sat on a small log facing the opposite way as she waited for him to finish.

Luckily for Timothy, he was able to cut open the corpse's stomach. Therefore, he began tirelessly making a big enough gap for himself to search the entire inside of it. "What's this?" Timothy thought to himself as the sun above him hit something inside to reflect the light back from within the corpse.

"Ti-" screaming as loud as she could, Timothy felt a chill run down his spine as he looked over to where Norah was sitting. Laying down as if she had just fallen backwards onto the ground and simply collapsed, laid Norah with a cloaked figure standing on top of the log. Part of him felt good that it was not another nearby demon beast, but something seemed off about the cloaked figure.

"So, after all of these years, it chose you?" the cloaked figure who sounded like an old man said as it shook its head. "I guess the heavens aren't truly meant to be understood even by someone like myself."

"Who are you and what have you done to her!" Timothy shouted towards the figure as he held his small iron dagger out like a sword as if he was ready to risk his life to make sure his friend would remain safe.

"My oh my, the young truly are the most fearless." the cloaked figure responded as white feathers began to drop from above Timothy. Unsure what to do, Timothy chose instead of escaping himself, to instead charge the cloaked figure. Strangely, after his first step, Timothy felt extremely drowsy as if sleeping was his first and only priority. "For your courage, I will even give you this extra ring of mine so that you could at least bring everything back with you." the mysterious figure said before disappearing as Timothy could only collapse on the ground.

23