Chapter 04 – Calm as Still Water, Part 2
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sagami ended up sitting on the highest point of the boat, sitting cross-legged doing Sun cultivation.

Sun cultivation is a practical method. Converting the sunlight into energy can be done once you reach the Foundation Establishment level, as Sagami does.

The energy gathered is minuscule. But if someone doesn't have a good source of Yang energy at hand, it's a decent time-waster.

For Yin cultivators like Hachiman, a similar option involved cultivating on still water, like a bathtub or a pond. Alternatively, cultivate under the moonlight.

That's right.

Neither of them came to this point with just talent.

Hachiman threw in a couple of spring water concentrate pills in his mouth. It was the lowest grade of water element pills known and also the cheapest. They came from the water passed through the cold-furnace of the pill-making method. They were practically industrial waste to the high-level alchemist.

In other words, it's water energy concentration is low. Much lower than Spirit Water droplet, and yet further away from Spirit Water essence.

Cheap and refreshing. A single spring water concentrate pill can compare easily to a glass of ordinary water. People used it regularly as travel supplies even if they don't cultivate water element.

However, Hachiman wasn't in a rush to increase his cultivation level in this situation. The spring water concentrates used to keep him up in top shape as he meditated and consume his Ki slowly to refine his Yin Fire cultivation instead.

"As expected, my fire is getting darker over time..." Hachiman thought in concern. "Should I stop it or let things change naturally?"

Hikigaya Hachiman doesn't like changes, or at least, changes that lie beyond his control. His fire gaining black color was one such. To change his eventual fate, or to let destiny take its courses.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either path, but Hachiman was scared to overcommit.

"Pathetic, and to think I've reached Foundation Establishment with this kind of mindset... was my Dao truly unmoving?"

Let alone advancing, Hachiman wouldn't be shocked if his cultivation regress in the future! However, perhaps this conflict exists precisely to pave the path for his future instead.

He will have to give it careful thought.

For the moment, he decided to stabilize the gradual change in his fire. For this purpose, he consumed all the Ki he gained from the cheap beads of water.

As he released a long breath, his fire puffed out of existence.

"That's a unique fire you have." Finally, Ranka spoke. "Never seen such black flame before."

It's a universal etiquette among cultivators not to disturb each other when they're cultivating unless there's a grave emergency. And even then, sometimes the cultivation process itself can be a grave emergency, such as making a breakthrough.

Naturally, people would erase their existence so as not to disturb the cultivators.

"It's called the Yin Fire..." Hachiman said as he focused his mind to peak capacity, and after generating a mixed black-blue fire between his hands, he separated them into a blue fire on the left hand and a black fire on the right hand.

This effort exerted a massive burden on his mind and body, and Hachiman began to sweat. And in the end, he could only maintain it for a few seconds before letting them out.

"A true Yin Fire burns pure Yin energy with black Yin flame. A Mist Fire burns water energy with a blue Yang flame. People often get them mixed up unless they're Master scholars."

The Five Elements have their characteristic. Depending on if Yin or Yang energy is involved, the elements will also have a change of nature. Thus, there are Five primary elements and ten secondary elements.

Fire is the dominant Yang, while water is the dominant Yin.

Yin Fire is a Yin offshoot of fire, while Mist Fire is a Yang offshoot of water element. Conversely, Ice is a Yin offshoot of water, the opposite of Crimson fire, the Yang offshoot of fire.

"A Yin-Yang mixed fire cultivation, interesting. It's probably difficult to cultivate both, however."

Really, must you state the obvious? Hachiman knew that more than anything. Against the nature of Mist Fire, Yin Fire dominates strongly, even could be said to be corrosive. That's why he needed extra effort to maintain the balance of these fires.

"Ah, I'm sorry to offend you." Ranka hurriedly apologized, knowing that Hachiman was probably annoyed by it. "I practice water cultivation, however my little brother's disciple..."

Saika popped out just behind Ranka with a blush on his face. "My apologies. I sensed strong Yin energy and can't help but feel curious."

"Eh, no worries." Hachiman brushed it off. Still, this was the reason why Cultivators prefer seclusion when seriously cultivating. There were always a lot of eyes watching, even without ill intent involved.

"Still to have someone practicing Yin Fire cultivation at Foundation Establishment level sailing with us, I feel safe." Saika clasped his hands in respect.

"Brother is exaggerating." Hachiman scoffed, but inside he jumped excitedly.

"Well, then, please excuse me." Ranka smiled and left.

Saika, on the other hand, decided to sit beside Hachiman, which made Hachiman somewhat uncomfortable. A lot less comfortable than with girls around.

"Umm, I have a question..." Saika muttered bashfully. "Does Sister Sagami... hate Confucians too?"

"...How many female disciples exist in your school?"

"Uh... none that I can recall. But I know we have a reputation with women, so I need to clarify..."

"Exactly."

That was a dumb question, was Saika just that ignorant, or did he pretend to be an idiot? Still cute, either way.

"You're interested in her?"

"Eh? Um, no." Saika flailed. "It's just that as a fellow traveler, I want to get along with everyone, with Brother Hachiman too. Ah, it's fine to call you by the first name, right?"

Yes! Yes! Of course, you can!

"I don't mind."

"My Master sometimes called me a little soft, but I feel that, if everyone can get along, the world will be at peace."

"I believe that strong, well-educated leaders must be the key to a peaceful society!" Saika said excitedly. "That's why I decided to become a Disciple of Confucian."

Please Marry me! Wait a minute.

"Is that so?" Hachiman tried to hold back his personal feelings on the matter. "Do you think a peaceful society is possible in a world this chaotic?"

"Yes." Saika nodded.

"Saying that... sometimes I feel that I wasn't good enough to defend my own belief. I can't even comprehend sword scriptures."

"The way of the sword isn't for everyone." Hachiman sighed.

Hachiman could feel it. Saika's incredibly potent Yin energy was pure and calm. It was peaceful just sitting beside him like this. Such gentle cultivation root, was it possible for someone to study a sword script?

Hachiman wouldn't call himself fierce but compared to Saika's own Yin cultivation, he felt like a torrential tsunami wave in comparison.

Saika probably had a hard time to make a breakthrough with that kind of shaky resolve. That's why he's stuck at the peak of Ki Condensation at the moment.

"What about you, Brother Hachiman?" Saika asked. "What do you hope to accomplish?"

"Dreams betray many, but hard works betray no one!" Hachiman told him. "At least, that's what I believe."

"I see. That's an admirable outlook." Saika grinned. However, Hachiman probably knew that Saika disagreed with that notion.

Someone who dreams big and dared to pursue it was too bright for Hachiman.

Saika's face suddenly turned tense and pale, and then he hurriedly stood up. "We're surrounded!"

Hachiman blinked, then focused all his senses outward. Amazingly, Saika could pick up the tiny but numerous sources of killing intent from a longer distance than Hachiman does.

Even to Hachiman, it came off as mere uneasiness.

"You have broad and sharp spiritual comprehension." Hachiman praised him. Hachiman immediately jumped and approached Sagami.

"Sagami! Wake up!" He said aloud.

Sagami opened her eyes and immediately picked up her sword. "I'll cover for you."

"Much thanks!" Hachiman said as he pulled his Long Ruler and began to draw blue and black fire on it. "Let's go."

They both jumped off the boat and landed on the water surface as if it was nothing. Sagami and Hachiman barely made a splash.

At the Foundation Establishment level, it's not easy for a Cultivator to fly on their strength without specific technique or equipment. However, waking on the water can be learned relatively quickly.

Hachiman closed his eyes, and suddenly, all the water ripples around him stopped. It was like a small patch of the river behind the boat become separated from the rest.

[Calm as still water.]

"Perish!" Hachiman said as he stabbed the water with his Long Ruler.

And suddenly, there were explosions. They were small, but the number of which still quite overwhelming and made a spectacle!

Lots of strange reptilian creatures thrown into the air, flailed as they did. They have a turtle-like shell on their back and a pan-shaped object on their heads.

Kappas?

Sagami extended her whip sword and carved through them like professional chief slicing through ingredients.

Clean and effortless.

"This is the power of a Foundation level cultivator." Ranka couldn't help but be amazed. However, his trance didn't last long. "Everyone! Protect the boat!"

"YES!"

Though wounded, most of the creatures survived.

"Tch, can't use fire edge against them." Sagami spat aside. Without being able to heat her whip sword properly, her battle strength got reduced severely.

"That's fine. Just make sure no one can get close." Hachiman focused his Ki again for subsequent attack.

More explosions!

The creatures fired compressed water bullets at high velocity in their direction. But Sagami hurriedly made a snake-like motion with her whip sword to destroy the projectiles.

Hachiman looked behind, wondered if the boat got harmed. However, he saw the lower part of the boat hull covered by a net made of water that exploded the water bullets on impact.

"[Azure Water Weave.]" Ranka thought as he focused all his ki and project it into the water surface of the river.

What a fine control of Ki, to make such a tight and solid net of water. It barely covered the rear side of the boat, but asking more from such a young Ki Condensation cultivator might be too much.

Ranka wasn't alone, however, as Saika backed him with even broader defense. A strange, transparent white curtain around the rear hull, as if made of a sheet of mist.

[Hundred Curtains of Illusions], Hachiman knew this technique as a simple wide-scale area protection skill that cushions the effect of thrown projectiles using a screen made of yin energy.

Rather than depending on brute Ki's strength and power, to cast such a large screen, a broad spiritual comprehension is required. Even though the water bullets hit the boat, their impact force significantly reduced!

Hachiman and Sagami felt a sense of relief seeing that, so they can focus on the immediate source of threat instead.

"Why is there so many Kappa here?" Sagami screamed. "Disgusting!"

Kappas don't attack in a group, do they? Hachiman also wondered. Kappas are mid-level Demonic Beast commonly roam uninhabited water areas, preying on weaker humans, especially children.

While individually weak, fighting Kappa on their home turf would be difficult. The past Hachiman in his Ki channeling stage would have struggled to survive if he got caught and wrestle one in the water.

"Help them! Bring the crossbows! The rest of you start the engine!"

The boat crews unoccupied with damage controls and steering of the boat came out and began firing their crossbow from the deck. Due to their cultivation level, they need to get lucky to do anything significant.

However, the Kappas felt the weight of suppressive fire and retreated.

The boat shuddered as their engine began to spin. This engine usually only used when sailing against the river current. However, in an emergency, not using it would be stupid!

Sagami and Hachiman noticed that and immediately skated across the water and jumped back on the boat.

"The killing intent hasn't subsided!" Hachiman cautioned them all.

"Let's move to the bow!" Saika hurried them.

Hachiman and Sagami jumped to the water again, except this time, they ran toward the direction of the river current. They saw the water suddenly erupted, and something massive was under the wave.

"What's that?"

"Hasha*!"

A massive snake unrolled itself out of the water. On its head was a comma sign that glows with a demonic aura. It's length obscured by the depths of the river, yet, the head alone was enough to display its majesty and terror.

Some of the boat crew froze on the spot, a few of them fainted or wet themselves in fear.

"Why does this scaled bastard show up HERE of all places? It isn't even a major river!" Sagami dropped her jaw in shock.

A fully grown up Hasha is powerful enough to give Core Formation expert big trouble. If it's willing, the monster could smash the boat apart with a whip of its tail. Even though this one hasn't matured, Hachiman wasn't confident he could deal with it even with Sagami's help.

Hachiman jumped back to the boat and immediately search for the owner. "Just what kind of cargo this boat carries?!"

"I don't know! I got paid to carry 28 tons of high-grade grain! It's more valuable than rice, but as to why they attract monsters, I have no clue." The boat owner cried. "Forgive me!"

"That might have been our fault." Ranka stepped forth with a regretful face. In his hand was a sealed container. "This sealed container is faulty and leaking strong golden energy everywhere."

"Oh heavens, what should I do!" The boat owner bawled. "Please get rid of it! I beg you!"

"It's fine, bring us ashore. We'll leave the boat." Ranka bowed deeply. "So, the snake will have no reason to harm this boat."

"Bunch of cowards, as expected of Confucians." A woman's voice boomed in response. "Making a mess then unwilling to take responsibility. And you dare to call yourself men?"

It was none other than Sagami.

She got engulfed with bright red and golden fire. Whenever the Hasha tried to attack, she managed to repel it with great force. Their clash was so intense that the boats rocked every time they made contact!

Despite her elemental and terrain disadvantage, it was clear that Sagami dominated the Hasha with the strength of her fire. Even more than that, Sagami was floating midair, not on the water surface.

Hachiman squeezed his eyes in disbelief. Such an oppressive aura, it was not the aura of a Foundation Establishment cultivator. Did Sagami hide her strength all along? Or perhaps-

"Stupid!" He gritted his teeth and immediately went to help Sagami. "I don't know what forbidden technique you use but cease it!"

"If you have a better answer, then be my guest." She shrugged.

Sagami's pupils were perfectly rounded and sizable, unlike that of human beings. Her purple eyes also gleamed with a heavenly glow.

At this level, Sagami alone can hold against a Core Formation cultivator. But nothing under the sky is free. For every strong technique, there's a price tag to pay! A skill that can boost someone's cultivation level temporarily, they are costly!

Hachiman doesn't know what massive beef Sagami had with Confucians. However, he knew very well that many cultivators have a hill worthy to die on: Pride. She wanted to show them what she worth!

"I have a good solution." Hachiman's fire on his Long Ruler switched from black and blue to completely black. The process of which strained him slightly. "Beat it until it cries."

They charged against the Hasha and smacked it simultaneously. The damage caused was immense! The shock from the impact caused the water to erupt and the ground to shake!

Both of them attacked the snake without mercy. Sometimes together, occasionally taking turns.

By turning from mixed Fire to Yin Fire completely, Hachiman can dominate water element opponents like Hasha despite massive power discrepancy between them.

However, the proud mythical snake didn't bow down in the face of two desperate cultivators. The snake rammed both of them into two sides of the riverbank with all its weight.

Trees nearby flung around like broken pegs. The snake created several dozen meters long trench through nothing but brute force!

"NO!" Saika screamed in horror and then fell to his knees.

If only.

If only I can use sword scripture!

If only I'm a foundation-level cultivator!

"Look!"

The snake stopped on its track, and as the dust settled, Hachiman and Sagami kneeled. They were exhausted, but their injuries were superficial.

"Run to your mother, you bastard!" Sagami spat a bit of blood aside. "Or I'll burn you to a fine crisp."

It might not understand what Sagami said. However, the battered and burned snake decided to fold it and run away as fast as possible. Whatever is inside that box of treasure, it wasn't worth it.

"Let's help them!" Ranka ordered. "Hurry!"

Using the smaller lifeboats, the discipline of Confucians rowed post-haste and retrieved the two cultivators.

Saika was on the verge of crying. "I know we're men of the Courts, not soldiers. But perhaps this is why wandering cultivators looked down on us Confucians."

Ranka bit his lips, unable to argue. If he was able to secure the packet properly, then perhaps this incident won't happen.

Still, Saika decided to wipe his eyes.

"Even if we have to kneel for three days, even if we have to suffer 100 lashings, we'll take it!" Saika told him with a newfound resolve. "We will repay their kindness and prove that our school isn't all talk."

"That's true!"

"Brother Saika is right!"

Totsuka Saika had decided, even if he had to sweat out tears and vomit out blood. Saika will find it, his sword scripture!

The heavily condensed Ki within his lower dantian shook gently in anticipation.


* 巴蛇 = Bashe, Hasha, or Tomoe Hebi, is a Chinese Mythological snake, said to be big enough to swallow an elephant whole. (Tomoe = Comma sign)

 

2