Chapter 11: Adventure, Start! (Arc 1 Epilogue)
1.8k 14 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been 6 days since the incident with Pierre and the return of the true King.

Obviously, nobody except for the most trusted advisors was made aware of this. After all, there would be mass panic in the streets if it was discovered that some unknown organization had managed to replace the King for four years under everybody's noses and killed off the two elder Princesses.

As for the hole that was blown in the hall that destroyed more than one work of art, there were carpenters called in to repair it after the first day, and it was slowly returning to how it had been before.

Of course, not everything was as it had been before. For one, the palace was gradually transitioning to a more humble state. In place of the lavish velvet robes that Pierre had worn when he'd taken the King's place, the King actually wore the clothes of a soldier.

It seemed that he had come to power during a great war between the human faction and the demon faction, and the death and destruction he'd seen there had a great impact on his future policies.

Now, he didn't feel comfortable without a sword on his hip. He also claimed that he had no intention of starting a war with the demons, as the horrors of war he'd seen firsthand showed him just how awful such a thing would be for both sides.

As for Elena, she was brighter and more cheerful than ever. She stuck by her father's side at all times as he recovered, and with her help he was gradually regaining his vigor and color. Of course, she always made time to come see me at least once during the day, but we hadn't kissed since then. For now, we just... talked. Though we hadn't known each other long, it felt like recent events had made us close to one another.

As for Amber, she refused to leave my side ever since that day. Her argument was pretty faulty, claiming that "If I don't watch you, you might get hurt again, idiot!" but nonetheless she wouldn't separate from me.

Over these six days, the two of us had messed around with our skills and gotten a bit more used to them, and we managed to level up some of them.

For me, I was able to get [Throwing] up to level 3 and [Concealment] up to level 2, but the changes made were minimal. For [Throwing], it was simply another increase in projectile accuracy and power. As for [Concealment], the only change was in the numerous activation conditions.

While the original description was pretty simple, being only:

[Concealment Lv. 1: Capable of concealing the user and up to two targets in contact with the user as long as requirements are met. requirements:

  • User and targets cannot make sounds
  • Must be dark
  • Other entities must not be expecting an intruder
  • If perception level of entities are higher, skill efficacy drops correspondingly]

After the level-up, the requirements were changed to allow for "minimal sounds" and the requirement for darkness became "somewhat dark."

However, the most glaring change to me was the [Unique Skill: Sherlock and Moriarty Lv. 1] that I'd gotten as a mysterious mutation of the skill [Sherlock Lv. 1] I'd obtained. However, the only thing I managed to figure out about it was that it could display some information about a target. It worked on simple things like rabbits and plants, displaying their status and information like whether or not it was poisonous, but if I tried anything more advanced like a person it failed. This was proven true when I tried it on Amber, only to be greeted by the simple message [???].

As for Amber, she seemed to have gotten the skill [Acting Lv. 1] from her encounter with Pierre. Though she claimed it wasn't anything special, it seemed to add a "charm" to her voice. In the end, though, we couldn't find a way to level it up.

As for her skill [Valkyrie], though we hadn't managed to unlock any features of my predicted "destruction branch," Amber had practiced to the point where she was able to activate her skill whenever she wanted to. However, it seemed like using it consumed a fair bit of energy depending on the wound she was healing.

Interested in the concepts driving skills, I asked Elena about what might help level them up. Apparently, up to level 5 skills could be upgraded by understanding the concepts behind them and practicing using them. It seemed like this was why it was so easy for me to get the skill [Martial Arts: Body] to level four while the skills [Throwing] and [Concealment] took more practice and studying to level up. As for beyond level 5, it seemed like skills went through a type of "evolution" based on how you used them and your own unique "understanding" of them. Beyond that, the only way to level them up would be practical usage in addition to accumulated experience from killing enemies. Every five levels skills would undergo these "evolutions," getting more and more difficult to level as time passed. There were also ways to cause skills to evolve using other methods, but it seemed like Elena wasn't too well versed in these...

Seeing as I'd learned about as much as I could from being here, that brought me to one simple decision.

It was time to adventure, kill monsters, save some cute girls, and solve a few glaring mysteries.

And the only way to do that would be to leave.


"Are you certain this is what you want to do?"

The King, looking visibly cleaner and healthier than when we'd first met, asked me as he stroked his chin with his hand while reclining on the throne. Beside him, Elena looked visibly sad. She opened her mouth as though she wanted to say something, but closed it again in resignation.

"Yes. Thank you for your hospitality while we've stayed here, but I can't take anything more of you now that you know we're not the heroes. In any case, I think I've held in my desire to explore long enough. Plus, I'd like to find out about the organization that was behind Pierre, and that can't happen here."

I grinned as I looked at Elena encouragingly. To be honest, I was disappointed that she'd decided not to come with us when I'd asked her. Though on some level I'd asked her because her magic and [Mystic Eyes] would be big assets to have, it was more that I just didn't want to leave her behind. Having seen her and Amber every day for the past week and talked to them, it was the first meaningful connection I'd had in a long time.

"Rest assured, I'll be heading to one of the border towns that Pierre had claimed were attacked by demons. Though Pierre's reports as "King" claimed that nothing of interest remained there, it's worth inspecting. Plus, the town we plan to head to has low level monsters there and an adventurers guild branch, so we can take an adventurers examination and level up there even if there's nothing there."

The King nodded, and Amber curtsied to him. Though she was still visibly clumsier than somebody who'd done it often like Elena, she had gotten visibly better at it.

"King, I truly must thank you for the care you've taken to help us. Princess Elena as well. However, I must warn you..."

Amber looked up at Elena and smiled.

"If you leave me alone I won't hesitate to take him for myself."

I sighed. At this point, though it was hard to believe, it was obvious that both girls were interested in me. Though I acted troubled by it, in reality it was... pretty damn awesome. Like insanely awesome. However, that didn't mean I would let them do whatever they want, I cared about them both a lot after all.

"I don't belong to you, Amber."

"E-eh?! W-what're you talking about you idiot?! I wasn't talking about you!"

Apparently shocked by the fact that I'd recognized her feelings, Amber stammered out a response in her normal tone. Honestly, her blushing, bashful face was both entertaining and cute to look at as she turned away from me in a huff.

"Hahaha, how great to be young... In any case, I simply cannot let you leave empty handed after saving me and this kingdom. As such, I have prepared a few gifts."

The King waved to Alvus, who immediately walked over. Of course, the General had apologized to me profusely after realizing that I had saved the King instead of harming him. He even thanked me for watching over Elena.

As Alvus approached me he took out a sword bundled in black cloth and a heavy bag that jingled with coins.

"Though I know you rejected my offers to give you any large monetary rewards, I figured giving you this much would be ok. 50 gold coins, and a sword from the treasury, [Wrender]."

As I grabbed the bag of coins, Amber quickly took the sword from Alvus and unwrapped it to reveal a shiny silver blade.

"Like the knife used by the royal assassins, this sword is made of [mithril]. I assure you that so long as you use that blade, there will be nothing you cannot cut down."

Raising my eyebrows in surprise, I shook my head.

"King, we can't take thi-"

"I insist."

Mithril, one of the top tier materials, was one of the most rare and powerful metals in this world. Not only was it durable, it also had the ability to channel and magnify the powers of magic and skills. To give us a sword of this grade... it had to be at the level of a national treasure.

"And that black cloth, it is made of the same material as the cloaks of the royal assassins. The basilisk scale cloak, it is highly resistant to magic and physical attacks. So long as you wear it, you will surely be protected."

The King nodded proudly as he surveyed our reactions, and as Amber looked between the two objects in her hands she tossed the cloak to me and received a sheath from Alvus which she put on her waist before putting away the sword. Taking the cloak I quickly draped it over my shoulders and left the hood down.

"Thank you, Your Majesty. I mean that."

"Think nothing of it. Though you may not be the heroes of legend, you are undeniably the heroes of this nation. This is the least we can do."

"I apologize again, Hero Jonathan. I cannot believe I was so blind..."

"I thought I told you it was fine already..."

I sighed as I smiled at Alvus, who no longer glared at me.

"In any case, I suppose this is where we part."

I waved goodbye as Amber and I exited the throne room, her grabbing onto my arm as I sighed again.

 

In the quiet courtroom, the King turned to his daughter.

"You know, if you left now you could still catch up to them."

Elena shook her head.

"No, that's alright. With your recovery and fixing the issues Pierre caused, the kingdom needs me here."

"I raised you quite well, didn't I. You always did put the kingdom before yourself..."

Elena smiled sadly as she looked at the King.

"Yes, you did..."

"However, Elena, you're not a child anymore. Nor am I so frail that I need your help."

The King flexed his arm weakly as he smiled at his daughter.

"Plus, if the worst comes to pass, I'll have General Alvus here to aid me."

"B-but father-!"

"My daughter, your two elder sisters gave their lives in their pursuit to help this nation. I cannot force my final daughter to do the same."

The King smiled warmly.

"Simply ask yourself this, I won't ask you to do any more. Do you want to go with them, with him?"

Elena stopped and looked down at the ground, balling her hands into fists.

"I-I do! I want to go with them!"

She looked up at the King with tears in her eyes.

"Then go, it's not too late yet. And since I thought you might say that, take these clothes with you."

The King handed Elena similar commoner clothes to those he'd given Amber and I and watched her as she fled from the room with them in hand


I yawned and placed my hands behind my head as I looked out at the open sky.

"It's funny, isn't it? How if you just look at the sky it looks exactly like Earth?"

Amber smiled as she walked beside me.

"Yeah, I suppose it is..."

She suddenly jumped out in front of me and looked into my eyes with her bright emerald ones.

"What?"

I said, blushing slightly as I looked away.

"Nothing."

She laughed, causing me to wonder why she'd done that, but my thoughts were interrupted by a sudden call.

"Jonathan! Amber!"

A figure a ways away ran towards us, bright blue hair flashing in the sun.

"E-Elena?!"

"Welcome back."

I smiled as Amber exclaimed in surprise. I'd thought this was a possibility. In fact, I'd hoped for it.

As Elena grew closer, Amber stepped out in front of me. Eventually, the two were face to face.

"You know that I'm not going to give up just because you're here, right?"

Amber pointed at Elena with one hand as she rested the other on her hip.

"I wouldn't expected you to!"

Elena said with a smile.

"I'm serious, you know!"

Elena nodded.

"I know.

"I'll be the one to protect him! I-I might even k-kiss him!"

I sighed loudly.

"How many times do i have to tell you not to talk about me like I'm not here?"

Walking over to Amber, I turned her to face me. Her face revealed a look of shock as I placed my hands on her hips and leaned in.

"W-what are you-?!"

I interrupted her with a kiss that lasted about a minute before separating, my cheeks bright red.

"I-I..You..."

Amber stammered out, unable to form a full sentence. Meanwhile, I turned back around, trying to hide my embarrassment.

"L-lets go..."

I said as I started walking again.

"With that, we're even! But I won't let you get ahead either! I'll be taking the position of first wife, just like my mother did!"

Elena laughed a bit as she winked at Amber before following me, grabbing onto my arm. With how she immediately grabbed on to me, it was pretty evident that though she'd let Amber have that she was a bit jealous herself.

"W-what do you mean by even?!"

As the bright sun shone on a cloudless sky, the three of us took the first step towards an unbelievable adventure we could never have expected.

49