Chapter 13: Three Problems
1.1k 6 41
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Due to certain circumstances, I will be unable to release more than one chapter today. Apologies, and I hope that you enjoy!

It is possible that I may upload late tonight if I can find the time, but I don't want that to be what's expected and let you guys down. In any case, let the story continue!

We entered the city through a large, guarded gate soon after the the city itself came into view. After making it to an area where several other carriages were stopped, our own caravan came to a halt and people and goods alike began to get evacuated from it.

I yawned and stretched my legs, watching the workers mill about as they removed the goods from the caravan that the merchants had brought and took them to the market district.

Beside us, the white-hooded man watched for a few seconds before turning around and walking off, having not uttered even a word since the time we'd met.

"So, what now?"

Elena said as a particularly large crate was moved past us, causing her to have to maneuver out of the way.

"Well, in terms of goals we have three. One is, obviously, to investigate what Pierre might have hidden here."

Elena nodded as Amber spoke up.

"I understand that much, but what other goals are you talking about?"

"The second is to get stronger. You saw what Pierre looked like back then. Though we managed to win through a one-use finisher and some smart planning last time, if we happen to run into an enemy that strong again, they'll wipe the floor with us. And that's only if they're equally as strong. Something tells me there are far stronger guys out there than him..."

"And the third...?

Elena spoke this time, looking at me with curious eyes as Amber tilted her head in curiosity. A gust of wind came through at that time, causing their hair to billow slightly and making them look like they were directly from a painting. It still didn't feel real that both of these girls were interested in me romantically, even if I'd saved their lives.

"Ah, um, the third is...cough..."

I coughed and tried to refocus my mind on the task at hand instead of on looking at them.

"The third is money. Though the King certainly gave us a sizable enough starting fund, we don't know how long that's going to last us. Since we never know when we'll run out, we have to secure a way to earn money steadily."

"And so, what does that mean for our next move?"

Amber spoke up again, her light brown hair settling gently back down to rest on her shoulders.

"Well, normally we'd have to prioritize one of these and handle these rest after, taking them one at a time. However, we're lucky since there's a place we can handle all three at once..."

Elena's ruby eyes met mine as they widened.

"The adventurer's guild."

"Yes."

I nodded at Elena's words with a smirk

"But... are you sure you want us to become adventurers here?"

I tilted my head, more than a little confused.

"W-what does that mean?"

Amber responded to Elena in my place.

"Well... It's just that... Valen has a bad reputation for having a particularly eccentric adventurer's guild."

I simply shrugged my shoulders at that.

"Eccentric or not, we're really just going to be applying for licenses and doing some quests hunting monsters while we're here. It shouldn't be an issue, right?"

"W-well I suppose you're not wrong, but..."

Elena trailed off, not quite certain what to make of it.

"In any case, look over there. We already know the location!"

Amber exclaimed excitedly, ponting to an odd sign sporting a jester on it with an arrow and the words 'Adventurers Guild This Way! Limited Event for New Recruits Today Only!' in big letters.

Though this certainly did seem a bit odd, in all honesty it wasn't enough to make me so wary that I wouldn't go.

As such, I nodded my head and pat Amber's head a little which caused her to blush profusely.

"Nice find."

"S-stop that, you idiot!"

Though amber responded like that, she didn't move away which caused me to laugh a little. Seeing Amber getting the attention, Elena frowned slightly and looped her arm in mine.

"Hey, let's get going, then, right?"

As we walked through the streets following from one jester sign to the next, I got quite the number of jealous glances in my direction. Of course, I didn't blame them, but what could I do about it? Of course, not that I would do anything about it even if I could.


A large, oddly shaped building. That was the only way to describe the Valen Adventurer Guild Branch.

It looked straight out of an abstract painting, random points and curves everywhere. Oddly shaped windows in the walls and for some reason... doors on the outside above the first floor. What, did they want somebody to walk out some random door into the open air or something?

Imagining the thought of opening a door and falling an excess of two stories made me gulp internally, and deep down I hope the doors were purely aesthetic instead of functional.

"Well... this is it?"

The jester sign above the door read 'Valen Adventurer's Guild Branch' in big letters, and the overall whacky motif on the otherwise relatively normal street made the place stand out like a sore thumb.

"This really does seem to be it."

Elena looked oddly disappointed at seeing the building, and I subtly took note of it.

"Well... what now?"

Amber said from beside me.

"I suppose we head inside."

Taking a step forward, we set foot into a place that would undoubtedly leave a lasting impression on our memories.

41