Chapter 1
205 5 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Many things in life come unexpected. Especially when it relates to what one becomes. I thought myself a normal person. Certainly, I kept to myself more than others, and indeed, I would prefer the company of a good novel, a curious book on an eccentric topic, a story of romance unfit for general consumption, and even the occasional mad ravings of a lunatic that has garnered interest among the fringe, but I never considered this special. Whilst I felt a particular void in my experience, I recognized that most people would instead fill it in with trivialities, whereas I would avoid those and keep my void pure of all but my dearest fantasies and moods. This past me offered others nothing, and perhaps it would have held nothing for you, as well.

This is how I lived my life for 17 years, and while people would perceive me as gloomy and unsociable, I merely held no interest for their kind. Still, it was never my desire to abandon this world, nor was the Earth in any way insufficient for my needs. I held no grudge, no conflict, no desire for punishment or redemption. Thus dramatic developments in my life would always avoid me, as I made sure that fate itself knew I was not to be bothered. Therefore...

“Why have I been summoned here against my will?” My low voice was directed at the priestly clad man before me, as he posed arms spread wide. Beside him stood a long haired blonde doll adorned with frills on a puffy pink mess of clothing layers, parading itself as a pastry of a dress, with lavish patterns of golden thread decorating its entire surface. Nevertheless it seemed to fit the environment around me, which was itself grand on decorations. The Gothic vault above my head shined with violent blue patterns and symbols, spreading down a web to a now inert summoning circle. Beyond a grand archway were corridors likewise constructed, where the glow was replaced by gold and warm pale lights that enhanced its beauty. I have read many novels about entering another world, but this space had details that one would encounter in neither the description, nor the illustrations of such. It looked and felt real, yet somehow alien.

My second thought contained the realization that I stood frozen on my legs, stupefied of the difference in aesthetics, while the absurdity of this situation happening to me had a difficult time dawning in the haze of my mind. After all, what I had seen just moments before was the short hair of the boy in front of my seat in class, which prevented me from writing down the teacher's notes from the board. Then? I draw a blank, my apologies. And before you ask, I did mention that the people back in that world were irrelevant even during my stay, right?

Back to this important moment, I realized my head was still leaning to the side, and corrected my posture. The priestly man coughed for attention, the princess apparent played with her hair, and the question mark above my head popped like a balloon, my stare expecting an immediate explanation. As discomfort flooded the room, I noticed a certain aversion from my gaze in the blond girl. She seemed my age, but much softer, prettier. The way this stranger felt disgusting was perhaps a reflection of her attitude toward me, I thought. She spoke to the priest in an unfamiliar tongue, intoning disappointment somehow. The priest answered likewise in a gesture of surrender, trying to calm her down. My nerves alarmed me that this unfamiliar situation perhaps was not the best time to be stubborn. It let loose certain feelings the shock was suppressing. I had to overcome a shiver down my spine, my sinking heart obfuscating the rational thoughts flowing, so I chose to observe in silence.

The princess made a step toward me, and I instinctively withdrew. She took another, pouting. I steeled myself and looked down at her hands. Bare they were, I thought, and let loose my guard a little. Then she grabbed my arm and pulled me, driving me into confusion. By the time I could react, I had received a ring with an emerald stone shining pale green, then fading. I unconsciously rubbed the place she had held... She was physically strong.

“You should be able to understand us now. Know that you are before royalty, and must conduct yourself accordingly,” The priest explained. The princess, now confirmed as such, stood there expressionless, but one could feel a hint of gloating from her pose.

While two and two make four, and while I was aware of this situation may have some semblance to ones often depicted in the novels I used for entertainment, my common fantasies on the subject were proof enough that any expectation of how this situation would progress had to be thrown out of the window. I considered my next words as carefully as I could, but what came out was somewhat crude:

“I apologize, Your Highness, I am unaware of the etiquette which you assume,” I said, shutting my mouth at its conclusion. I had no delusions of being a novel protagonist. Plot armor would not protect me from the ire of these people, nor was I good at defending myself.

“Is that so?” She asked with an exaggerated motion. Then as she looked into my eyes, she addressed the priest with a hint of bile, “Brandt, is this the woman that was described to you? Not only is the resemblance only superficial, she is further wearing a uniform I have never seen, and seems completely unaware of her circumstances. What do you have to say for yourself?”

“I am deeply sorry, oh Light of Dawn, she is the wrong person,” Brandt responded. It was somewhat disappointing, despite everything. I felt indignant, yet stood my tongue, shameful as that was.

“Unacceptable, we have already had a ten day delay from the last summoning, and you tell me you have brought me somebody useless? Four strongholds are about to fall, and with them your head in apology!” The princess somehow managed to raise her voice without shouting. I was somewhat impressed, somewhat intimidated.

“I shall bow as many times as needed, but is this one not of use?” Brandt carefully asked.

“Of course not!” The princess feigned distraction, only to flash a sadistic smile, “You will bow tomorrow at court. Expect no mercy... As for you,” I was addressed in a faux friendly manner, “Where are you from?”

“... Earth,” I said, my voice cracking to my surprise.

She exuded pressure upon me, opening her mouth to say something. I saw her change her mind:

“Never heard of it. Then you are to be discarded. Brandt's last duty will be to see you out,” with which I completely lost her interest. She exited the stage, leaving me with a crestfallen priest. He looked younger, than initially, but the stress must have piled up. It seems soon both of us would rest from this princess. An awkward silence followed, then both of us spoke at once.

“Do you...” I began.

“... I don't feel like it. You, come with me. You will do me a favor, in return for your life,” he grimly stated. I held no objections, simply saying “Yes”.

I was taken along a corridor of splendid decorations, none similar to the others, except in their heavy use of rich colors, marble, and gold.

Feeling somewhat resigned, I could now pay more mind to the environment I was in, as I walked in awe after the priest, while he tapped with a staff of superb and complex craftsmanship. It seemed ceremonial in purpose, but I dared not assume its practical value. 

While I spaced out, observing the sublime artistry that went into the surroundings, I was taken to an area outside, where I saw a view beyond my wildest imagination. This was not some kind of cute fantasy world. The other world was certainly different. It felt like some kind of hell...

2