Chapter 21: The Kingdom’s Drama
766 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 

Chapter 21: The Kingdom’s Drama
 
The initial euphoria I had after I cast my first ever spell vanished in thin air. After practicing the spell for almost a thousand times, day after day, things were bound to turn dull, especially if your target is a tree called Dumblewood who just regenerates again and again. As for learning other spells, I don’t want to think about that for at least today.
 
"How long will it take before Saria allows me to start my journey?" I flipped another dense book, reading the wiggly letters, diving into another piece of knowledge. When compared to the tedious business reports, boring graphs. Not adding the business mathematical models that I have to deal with in my past life. An easy-going life like this remains a mile more interesting.
 
Let's use this book as an example. According to this book titled, The Basics of Magic Circles.
 
Every magic circle serves as the basis of every spell. Crafting higher level spells is like building jigsaw puzzles. It will only show it's essence once complete. It's like trying to fathom the intent of abstract art. The potential of a mage hangs on how well they can craft such magic circles. The quality and quantity of magic circles that one could make dictates a mage's future. A 1st Rank Mage was also called a magic apprentice. Someone who could cast one simple magic circle which in turn could hold a single spell. 

Technically speaking, I'm currently on this level. Meanwhile, a 2nd Rank Mage is called a magic scribe. A better version of but is only capable of two circles and two spells. While a 3rd Rank Mage, simply titled magus, just as I expected, would have three spells and three circles in their repertoire.

Of course, the quality of mages also varies. Some are only capable of normal spells such as [Light Ball], [Chore Magic], and [Basic Appraisal]. Yes, that’s the unique skill that I got during my stint against the massive cauliflower. Nevertheless, unlike my spell, [Basic Appraisal] could only be used in normal herbs and things. It’s not even useable if you want to appraise a human.

Still, exceptions exist. Some anomalies make a 1st Rank mage capable of holding to spells or more. Other types are the mages that were born with a diamond spoon. They were able to learn costly combat-related spells as their first spell. After all, their family has the resources, unlike others. It’s not some cheat but the hard work of their predecessors. A good example would be perhaps Eyad. From time to time, he oozes out a young master feels. Anyway, Eyad’s a 3rd Rank mage based on my observation, and perhaps preparing to assault the bottleneck and breakthrough the 4th Rank.

The bottleneck between the 3rd and the 4th rank had been considered as the one which will determine a mage’s future. They call it the’ Magus Impasse’ for a good reason. Once a mage reaches the 4th Rank, one will be given a new title called ‘Fusion Mage,’ this is the time when mage would be able to intermix various elements and concepts into their magic.

Then, something that money couldn’t buy would now come to play, I am speaking of innate talent. Magical Intuition, Deduction, Epiphanies, Mana Pool, Magic Aptitude, Elemental Connection, and Spiritual Prowess. After all, you’ll be making a spell exclusive to you. The book had only given a little description of each one, but that was enough for me to agree that they’re indeed important.

As for the next rank, there’s a lot of jargons so I gave up. I better focus on the early stages, I’m still a 1st Rank after all. I don’t want to take a bite on something I won’t even be able to chew.
 
As for Saria’s level, she was a 7th circle mage which is also called archmage. In the past one hundred years, the continent of Endramion had a drought of such spell-casters. It only managed to produce seven archmages. Four of the seven either died of old age or currently missing. None had ever reached 8th rank for at least a thousand years. So forget about the 9th rank.

Oh, speaking of the 9th rank mages, the interesting book showed that the highest peak of magic known are them. Great mages with the power of transcendent demigods. Powerful beings capable of destroying cities and mountains at their whims.

I continued to binge book after book. The reading routine which I once dreaded had unknowingly turned into an addiction. Aside from learning spells, I had learned of the terrible condition of Endramion. The lifestyle was as backward as it could get.
 
Despite the existence of magic - issues about health, hygiene, agriculture, economy, and wars continued to exist. In this world, a king might not be necessarily living better than a normal middle-class human on earth. "How will things pan out if I introduce the things of earth in this place." A grin bloomed on my face, fantasizing about the near future.

Staring at the lined-up books, I started to drift and daydream, “Muhe…Muhehehe.”
 
Bang!
 
I almost ripped the pages of the book I was holding in shock. Awaken from my daydreams, I turned and saw Saria pouting like a kid. She had finally returned from her short trip. From Ariowell, the capital of Carmandy.
 
"How's your day, teacher." A wry smile crept as I turn my gaze at Saria. And yes, calling her teacher was among the other prerequisites for her to teach me. I am not in the position to complain though. I, Victoria, a freeloader, have no voice at all. Aside from that, my teacher was an archmage worthy of such respect.
 
From time to time, Eyad would also come here to learn with me. But after I asked him a bunch of questions about magic that he was not able to answer, he hid in his room only coming out when its time to cook or when Saria was here. Tsk, what a wimp. My Saria is still the best.
 
"What do you think?" Saria waltzed, dragging her newly bought burgundy cape. The youngest archmage slumped into the chair, acting grumpy and sulky. As clear as the daylight above, she had a not so pleasant walk in the capital.
 
"Not so good it seemed," I replied before turning back to reading. Even so, various thoughts that were not even related to the book flowed free on my head.
 
Saria sat, sprawling on the nearby couch, sighing. "Why is everything getting so crazy."
 
Ignoring her grumbling, I replied. "I don't know. Perhaps, you’re a bit gentle in dealing with them."
 
A lull of silence filled the room. "You're getting cheeky now Victoria." She said, chortling as she stood up, taking the chance to take the seat in front of me.
 
She looked at my face as if she was studying a specimen. I was already immune to the scrutinizing gaze that I had already learned to ignore her.
 
"You're no fun Victoria," Saria said, pouting, her fingers rose, poking my cheeks. "Your gullibleness is gone. I miss it."
 
"I'm not gullible," I spoke with conviction. No, nada, zilch.
 
"Really?" Saria took a hard look at me and giggled. "Remember when you ask me how can you have a dragon and ride one?"
 
"Pfft. I told you that you must dance like a lizard.” Saria saddled her cheeks on her right hand, gazing at me like I'm some pitiful child, “…and you danced like one."
 
"Arghhhh. Don't let me remember!" I covered my face with the thick book, banging it to my head in shame. I hate myself! I hate myself! Such dreadful memories!
 
I shifted my gaze and scowled. My face heating, turning crimson for some unspeakable reasons. Remembering the weird look Saria and the trio gave me that time, I felt like dying in shame. This respectable aunt did something that she would never do on earth.
 
"Fine, fine," Saria said, sneering after clinching a victory.
 
In the last few weeks, Saria seemed to be going out a lot. At first, I thought that everything was normal. Even so, as the trend continued, I decided to ask and got the answer. The undercurrents were occurring away from the sight of normal citizens.
 
One thing had come to my mind - the current political chaos ensuing in Carmandy. I'm not so dumb to not realize what’s wrong. Not when Saria sighs every time she gazes at me.
 
Saria opened up that she's also protecting my sister as well as my still bedridden mother. My sister had taken the reins of Carmandy through the help of the Lord Knight and Saria.
 
I could already tell that Victoria's sister would be under a lot of pressure. Though, I have not met her yet. Saria’s description of her reeks of lack of experience and political ineptness. After all, my sister was nothing but a poor princess thrust into the center of chaos. If I have to better describe her situation. She would be a still green fledgling thrown in midst of a venomous creature called the royal court.
 
Thinking for a moment. A little help might not be a bad call. For Saria's sake at least.
 
As for Saria, she had already joined the royal gang. She's now tagged as part of the royalist faction. She even grumbled that quite a lot of new players were starting to dip their fingers into the chaos.
 
The Assassin's Guild commissioned by the Prime Minister was starting to get active. She wanted to kill the Prime Minister but the rotten guy was as sleek as a snake. Hiding somewhere under the protection of the guild as he pulled the strings in the shadows. Though most of the nobles knew that he was the mastermind, they don’t dare move in fear of the assassin's guild.
 
The prime minister’s source of money originates from the Free Trade Union. In short, the Union had dipped its hand in this political battle.
 
The big boss of the Assassin's Guild was also not some easy game. The records I've read about him in Saria's library was nothing to scoff off. The man and his crazy feats.
 
Assassinating a rich merchant, a queen, a state leader, and perhaps… a king and a prince of a small nation. His kill list had been growing unhindered for the last few years. He kills and vanishes just like a mist, jumping from one nation to another.
 
Saria’s monologues also introduced me to the other dirty hands who wanted to lay their claws on Carmandy.
 
The royal family of Markandir was flipping the whole Carmandy in search of me. Though, they’re only using me as an excuse, a pretense. From Saria’s stories, I could see the Empire pulling strings behind the curtains. The empire might be doing some balancing act. After all, it's not so difficult to find out that their biggest competitor - the Free Trade Union was playing cards in Carmandy. The empire simply desired to dive in and join the game. Yes, I knew they’re only treating this as a game.
 
The kingdom of Carmandy is currently suffering from the clash of two powerful forces. A victim.
 
That uncle of the Victoria had made a gargantuan mess. If he only understood what he had done, ‘Sigh.’
 
The new title I earned does wonder for me. Oh, I also earned a new weird title after geeking through hundreds of history books.
 
It's called [Untested Strategist.]

 
Status Panel
 
Name: Victoria Rothfield Rosenberg
Level: 2
Job: Princess (Fallen), Spirit Mage
Race: Human
Title: [Witch of Rothfield], [Untested Strategist]
 
General Skills:
[Language of Another World]
[Etiquette Lvl. 6]
[Basic Mana Manipulation Lvl.1]
 
 
Abilities:
 
[Wind Arrow Lvl. 1– Green Elementals]
[Spirit Eye Lvl. 2]
[Appraisal Lvl. 1]
[Scent Tracking Lvl. 1]
 
 Void Items:
[Victoria's Soul Fragments (Damaged)]
 
 
I don't know why but it somehow helped me improve my ability to think, plan, analyze, and deduce. Mixed with my corporate experience which was full of drama and plotting, I could feel that my mind had become far sharper and clearer than before.
 
Anyway, it's clear to me that these troublesome powers had some designs for Saria. They're pulling her into this quagmire of trouble for an unknown reason.
 
The situation was turning more complicated as time passed. It’s getting convoluted beyond control – spiraling in one big mess.
 
I'm somehow glad that I'm not in the middle of this storm. Though a part of me felt guilty. After all, I am technically Victoria. So I couldn’t help but treat myself as the trigger of this whole political drama.
 
In a sense, the death of King and the Prince of Markandir would be inevitably tied to my name. My sister and mother may accept my innocence. Still, a little pointing finger would be powerful enough to plant the seeds of doubts.
 
Even on Earth, mere allegations could be easily manipulated into half-truths. And half-truths are sometimes even more believable than naked truth. The mastermind behind all this might have already guided the public opinion.
 
The Witch of Carmandy - this name might stick to me for a long time. At least, most people now believe that I am already dead.
 
I tapped my pen. Thinking about how could I help Saria. Hmnn. Even though I'm not inclined to help the royal family. But for Saria, I would do it.
 
I looked at Saria after finally making up my mind to help. "Saria."
 
"Hmnn." She uttered, her head covered by the large flappy hat she wore. Her tone telling me that she was already fed up and tired.
 
"I can help," I uttered lightly into the wind. “Turning the situation may be possible.”
 
Yet…
 
"Pfft. I'm sorry. You? Help?" Saria guffawed before pointing at me. "How about casting a basic golem spell for me."
 
I could feel my face burning for some reason. Although, I like studying and learning magic. Indeed, I was not blessed in magic. After learning [Wind Arrow], I didn’t manage to have any other breakthroughs.
 
According to Saria, there's no doubt that I'm a once-in-a-millennia spirit mage. And for the same reason, the records of how to use magic as a spirit mage would be just as well be incredibly rare. Well, unless I get lucky and dig up some 1000-year-old record from the last recorded spirit mage.
 
I also narrated my account's about the blobs of blue light, the green waves. On, don't forget the mysterious shadow from the undead. Saria deduced that the blue lights and green waves might be elemental spirits in theory. While the mysterious shadow was either my imagination or an unknown type of undead.
 
I took a deep breath, ignoring the archmage’s hurtful piercing titters. "Saria, I'm serious!"
 
I'm so indebted to Saria that it's starting to get on my nerves. I’d be much willing to offer my expertise and knowledge to lessen my mounting emotional debt.
 
I could put my newfound history knowledge, my new skill, and old political wisdom from Earth to proper use. Don't belittle earth's bloody history. For some reason, it's making me excited. Maybe, I could change my new title from [Untested Strategist] to [Great Strategist].
 
Well, who knows right?

Thanks for reading. If you want to check out more chapters ahead of schedule. You can check my Patreon. It's currently 3-5 chapters ahead. Okay, the deal is, whatever amount you give, you'll still get all of my stock.

30