Chapter 26: The Gift
684 3 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 26: The Gift

The Dead Forest.

Archmage Saria's Witch Hut.

The world where the continent of Endramion stood had a lot of similarities to earth. This world also had the same seasons. Spring, Winter, Summer, and Fall. Of course, there were also tropical nations made of various interconnected tribes. Yes, aside from the magic stuff, almost everything was the same. Of course, along with the change of seasons, interestingly weird yet magical events were meant to happen. After all, this was a fantasy-based magical world.

A good example is the white raven's haven during the spring. According to what I've read, it's simply a bunch of magical birds singing to find a mate. Their beautiful singing ability was said to possess the ability to exorcised demons. They’re even capable of dispelling dark as well as mind curses. It was also a great season for tamers to obtain a magical bird. Sound simple? Then, how about listening to about ten thousand of them?

It happens in the southern part of Endramion. The nations over there even used it as a tourist attraction. I wanted to go there one day. Unfortunately, it's still two seasons away. Another thing - I'm not even sure if I'd be free from work at that time.

Though there were quite a lot of interesting places to visit. I had no time at all. I had promised myself to visit once things start to calm down.

Anyway, right now, we’re already in the late part of the fall. It's already starting to get cold. Even this magical grand library is not an exception, I could sense the temperature dropping, making me shiver from time to time. That's why the fireplace had been running twenty-four seven now. Maybe I should ask Saria for more heat insulations.

Saria's rarely used desk was also in full use. Of course, not by Saria, but by me. That archmage is either out or tinkling something in her laboratory.

Staring at the scattered documents laying on the table. I couldn't help but squint. The workload showed no signs of decreasing, rather, it was continuously increasing with each passing day. I had asked for her work. But not this much.

Anyway, the actions of the nobles in the prime minister's faction had toned down. Their actions had lost their edge as compared to the past action recorded by my sister. All as if it was not the same man battling us. Crippling their communication channels through Saria’s help had help.

It feels weird. As if I'm bullying them so much that they can't even muster the strength to fight back.

I cast a tired gaze at the towering documents. The mountain of books was gone. Now replaced by a bunch of national documents which Saria refused to touch. Ah, my head feels a bit mushy. The workload feels like it was never going to end. Saria's adding more and more every time she returns from the capital.

Until now, I couldn’t see any major resistance coming from the Empire or the Union. Aside from the empire gathering war stuffs after I sent an army in the borders of Markandir. Heh, a mere bluff. I only sent them to do some mock march and they gave themselves away.

I stretched my neck before diving back into the documents. How do I say this?

"The nobles are pathetic, stupid, and gutless. It's a bit of a letdown." I couldn't help myself but sigh. Honestly, I was expecting a strong resistance. Maybe I had been overestimating them too much.

At least, Saria's less troubled now. With that in mind, I'm happy that I offered a helping hand.

As for my dumb sister sleeping in the royal castle, I had nothing to say to her. I wonder if she will still be as happy as Saria once she knows that I'm the one pulling the strings. That her sister, not Saria, is the one doing the heavy lifting for her sorry ass.

A light smile swelled, hiding in the sides of my lips.

Based on Saria's description of her…

That darn brat will be far from happy. After all, she still blames the old Victoria for the death of the king. Talk about unreasonable. Despite Saria’s explanation, she’s still as stupid as before. Well, it's only a matter of time. Though she’s a bit stupid, her case is still salvageable.

Perhaps, Saria might be the only one happy to see me alive. She's the only one who dared to save me from that stake and hay after all.

"Definitely." I nodded.

Now, what should be my next step. Should I add a little bit more pressure? Squeeze them more until the juice comes out? Or just leave them alone? Tapping the table with my fingers, I dived deeper into my plans.

Though the major goals had already been achieved. I felt like I am missing something. Call it a lady’s intuition.

I was able to stop the sale of the magic mines. Cleanse the royal court of corrupt scums. Not totally but mostly. I don't believe that the nobles supporting the royal faction is clean. Well, I'll let it slide since they've been a good help. A few rolling heads would deter them for quite a long time.

I was also able to confirm the hands of the empire about the Markandir issue. They had a deal for defense from the empire. The spies I've sent to the empire was put to good use. The movement of goods had shown their hands. Who buys war goods at a time of peace and sends them to another nation at their own expense?

Of course, I'm also seeing the hands of those who are expecting war. The knuckle-brains who’s blood had been craving for war. Unfortunately, I won't give the empire's war hawks a chance.

I pulled out a letter from the cabinet and sneered. Fat chance, brats! I had been prepared for this. "Let us see what the empire will do now? You chose to racket up and show your intention huh. You bit my bait with all gladness."

The letter in my hands was nothing but a load of bull. It’s full of thanks, gratitude, and praise towards the empire’s royal family. I’ll wish them well to death until their faces become redder than any tomatoes. It contains my uncouth devotion to their wisdom. Let’s see if they’ll move against a tiny nation that sends them love letters. A kind nation who licks their asses with letters. Of course, I’ll publicize it all over Endramion for a better effect. Let’s see if they’ll still value their face. After all, dignity and honor are what they like to eat.

I feel like I've been back to my glory days on earth. This level of politicking is a mere child's play as compared to the thousands of years of bloodshed and betrayal laying in the history books of the Earth. The good historical dramas and novels I had read had been also helpful. Not to mention the viciousness within the corporate ladder.

Bang!

M heart had almost leaped out of my chest. My body stiffening due to shock. I pinched my nose knowing who the door-banger was.

She never changes. Just as her odd quirks never change.

I smiled wryly as I watched her swaggered with pride. Her confidence oozed like a waterfall. She was in a good mood.

"It seemed like you were quite in a good mood, Saria," I said. Even so, my face was as dead as a pan.

Saria chortled at me. She threw a gaze like I was some rare blue diamond. A treasure she couldn't let go of. "Of course, the capital feels like it has been revived from death's door. It's also less filthy after cleansing it a little. I also have a lot of free time now!"

I turned my head back to the mountain of documents. This sloppy archmage had thrown all the work to me. That's why she's feeling as free as a dove.

I looked around and saw the stacks of documents waiting for me and grimaced. Saria’s lifestyle was simple. Go to the royal castle, pick some documents, then bang the door before throwing all the workload to me. This workload is feeding the workaholic spirit sleeping within my soul. "Saria can you just open the door instead of banging it open?"

"I can't!" Saria replied as if she was stating something obvious. Her gaze focused on me as if she was looking at a weirdo.

"Why is that?" I sighed. Ah, the headache is real! "What's so hard about knocking?"

"My entrance will be scrawny." Saria raised her chin telling me to deal with it.

I think the saying I have read from one of the books in this library stands true. That all archmages of Endramion are oddballs.

Of course, Saria's weirdness is still on an understandable level. The other two were pure bizarre oddballs. Maybe, age also stands as a factor.

She's young after all.

I decided not to ask her anymore and decided to just let her do what she wants. Let's go to the real issues so that I can add some sleep. I've been burning the midnight candle for the past few weeks. I need some rest. "Anyway, Saria, are there any changes to the reaction of the nobles from the prime minister's side?"

Saria's cheeks dropped, finding the new topic boring. Even so, she still answered my question. "Nothing. Most of the houses you told me to watch had been lying low. They won't even let out a squeak. Most of them had asked for leave due to some old sickness acting up."

Saria put her fingers on her chin and sniggered. "Wait. Rather than lying low. It's more like they're waiting for something."

That's the normal reaction alright. "Now that I think of it your right. It feels suspicious."

“Anyway,” Saria shrugged, opening another topic, “I have something for you.”

Hearing her excited tone, my face fell flat further. Saria giggled after seeing my expression. She took her staff, raising it in the air.

Soon enough my worst fears came true. A stack of carefully arranged blocks of parchments blinded my sight. Ah, another damn workload!

"Like it?" She asked.

Like it, my ass! I gave Saria a piercing glare that I used against my old snooty boss.

"You don't? Then why are you humming happily every time fix these papers?" Saria asked.

That's the freaking workaholic sleeping within my soul. My masochistic side! So how about giving me some damn rest. Well as if I could say that to my current landlord and benefactor.

"It's not that I hate it. But I also need rest."

Saria nodded her head. Leaving me only a simple word, "okay."

"Oh, I have another gift for you." Saria strode towards me, moving into my back. I saw her pulling something out of her pocket. "Don't move. Close your eyes."

I kinda feel excited. But please don’t let it be books or documents, I’m a hundred-percent tired of those course toilet papers. Soon, I felt a bit of weight falling into my nose bridge. The side of my ears also felt a little bit itchy. It was a familiar feeling when I was still on earth.

"Perfect. Open your eyes now." Saria pulled out a mirror. Letting me see her gift a little better. "Oh, it suits you."

I gazed straight at the floating mirror squinting at the beautiful lady mimicking me.

"How's my gift Victoria." Saria beamed, nodding her head.

"Thank you, Saria. I like it." I shifted my head to another angle to take a better look. "Umu. It suits me perfectly."

It adds a bit more charm to me. An intellectual look. "But why glasses?"

Saria grinned as if she was already waiting for that question. "Okay, that's the second part of my gift. Victoria, close your eyes again."

"Okay, that's good. Now, tap the sides of your glasses three times."

"I'm not going to go blind with this right?" I asked before doing what I’ve been told too. Of course, it's best to be on the safe side. I had a lot of past encounters with the blind-lady clichés after all.

"Don't worry. Even if it explodes I can put you back together in one piece," said Saria.

The nonchalant words of Saria almost gave me a heart attack. My hands stopped for a moment. Then, I bit my lips. That's not so reassuring at all. Nevertheless, I still followed her words. I lightly tap the glasses three times. "Alright, it's done. Can I open my eyes now?"

"Go on." Saria's excitement had affected her voice, sounding a bit pitchy. "Don't forget to look at the mirror first."

I slowly opened and fluttered my eyes. Just like Saria had guided me. I shifted my head, looking straight at the floating mirror.

I squinted. She followed.

I raised an eyebrow. She copied.

I dropped my tongue like a dog. And she also wagged it down. Umu, what a cute doge.

"Who the hell is this lady?"

The lady in the mirror was not Victoria. Where’s my signature lovely lilac hair?

The lady… was not me.


Thanks for reading. If you want more doses of chapters and support me, please check my Patreon. 

27