Chapter 28: Unexpected Contract
648 4 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
 

Chapter 28: Unexpected Contract
 
The scattered pebbles skittered, crushed by the rushing carriage and horse hooves. A trail of dust flew in the air. A small storm of sticky mud and specks of soil splashed against the carriage's wooden wheels as it cracked against the ground, rushing towards the main road, to the direction of the capital, Ariowell.
 
Though unlike normal carriages, the coachman driving wore a weird robed cloak owned by respected mages. The carriage itself spoke of the status of the owner, gem-studded, shiny, and enchanted. If the mages in the capital saw this they would have one single thought, what in the world are you doing? You should be the one riding inside, ah? How can a respected magus drive a carriage for someone? Even it’s a noble, are you out of your mind?
 
That would be the normal train of thought, but perhaps, once they saw the lady whom the mage was driving for, their convictions might shatter along with their flexible pride. Ink-black threads owned by a stunning lady waltzed along with the wind. She wore hunting attire, adding a heroic charm to her visage. Her beauty had the power to take any man’s breath away, especially the lecherous ones. This one was a man-killer.
 
No doubt, the lady’s splendor might even be capable of capturing the hearts of the ladies in all Endramion. She sported gold-rimmed glasses on her eyes, a sign of wealth. And if an appraiser takes a much closer look at it, they'll be leaving with their mouths hanging, shocked that the glasses themselves were enchanted. A castles-worth accessory in which intricate magic designs laid were being worn by the mystifying beautiful lady.
 
Nevertheless, the luxurious glasses were nothing but a perfect fit for the lady.
 
After all, the lady was me.
 
I loosened my grasp of the honest mirror, hiding it on the side of the carriage. I clicked my tongue. No matter how many times I gaze at myself, I just couldn’t get enough of it. It calmed down my ratting nerves a bit. Am I getting sick in the head? Narcissism at its finest. Sigh. Who could blame me? I never told Saria to maximize my beauty stats like this.
 
Back to the important matters, I bobbed my head outside the carriage windows, gazing at the clouds and the rising green trees. The carriage had already passed through the dead forest. There was no one following us. Well, as if they could outrun an archmage’s enchanted carriage.
 
Nevertheless, I never thought that studying those troublesome maps would be useful so soon. It helped us quite a lot of escape with a plan. I am also quite thankful that Eyad had stayed. Even though Andre and Aron had already returned to their mercenary ways, he remained due to Saria’s classes. He had been quite useful this time.
 
Taking a deep breath, I returned my gaze inside the carriage, planning what would be my next step. In all honesty, I already deduced what’s coming next. If my guess is right - the odd yet extremely normal man had already informed the prime minister. After all, he managed to catch my tiny spies. No, certainly, the prime minister is already aware. They had baited me and I had bitten and chewed the worm with all gladness. All they need now was to hook me up, and they’ll have this beautiful lady on their hands.
 
Since the magical spider's teleportation was broken, it might have returned my foot. There’s no one stopping them to follow its track. Some of their people might have already located Saria’s witch mansion, waiting to raid the witch hut. Staying at the witch hut would be the worst choice if my conjectures are correct. That place would be the worst place to bet my safety right now.
 
Despite Saria's protection spell, it won't be weird that they could just trap me there and die. Especially if my worst fears happen to Saria. The old mage butler in the prime minister’s mansion might even have ways to rip the magical shield open.
 
I gritted my teeth for taking it easy. Lowering my guard, I had fallen into a trap. “I should have added more back up plans.”
 
I closed my eyes, thinking hard to solve the new enervating problem. “No doubt. The prime minister is already aware of our spying. If my gut feeling is right, I would soon meet someone from their side. The only question will be... who will be coming? And how many…”
 
Memories of the smiling ordinary butler passed through my mind, my teeth chattered involuntarily. A chill grappled my heart. Out of the three, I could only wish that it would not be him. His hazard level was off the charts. ‘Please don't let it be him.’
 
"Anyway, what can I do? I also need to help Saria. Think hard. Come on, you can do it." My jumbled thoughts continued to flow as sweat trickled down from my forehead. A single mistake had led to such chaos. I shouldn't have underestimated the prime minister. I couldn’t expect him to go to the capital anymore. A part of our plan had already crashed before it even started.
 
Furrowing my brows, hoping for the best won't work. This sucks. I needed to make tangible plans.
 
What are my resources right now? My new spells? It won't even be enough for that old mage. Even he looks like he's only a few feet away from the death's door, he's still a thousand times more powerful than me. He might be weaker than Saria but it'll be easy to crush a tiny magical apprentice like me.
 
My spirit eyes - what can it do? Flash my two eyes like a light bulb, then wait for them to die of laughter. Possible but, peh! What the hell! Am I starting to go crazy again?
 
The glasses. Can I topple them with my beauty? Then, what? Get sold and become a mistress for that barbarian butler. The thought itself gave a good ol' shiver. This aunt doesn't like any beast in her room. I'll give all of them to Belle, free of charge.
 
But for the pressing matter, ‘Will I die this time?’
 
Calm down. Calm down. We’ve not reached that point yet. I took a deep breath again, resting my over-the-edge nerves. Everything is not yet determined. Flipping the situation is still within the realm of possibilities. I glanced at the changing sceneries outside the carriage window. The glorious royal castle, the real Victoria's true home, had started to show itself. I hope no one would catch up to us.
 
"W-We're already near Ariowell, Princess," Eyad uttered. He didn’t even hide the scaredy-cat in his heart; it was showing up from his voice. “What’s next?”
 
Yes, I also have the same question as you, dear Eyad. I sighed and glanced at the man driving in front. For now, it’s best to meet with Saria. “Straight to the royal castle.”
 
Eyad stiffened for a moment, turning his head to glance at me. “Are you sure princess? It’s the castle. Will you be okay?”
 
I closed my eyes, “I’ll be alright. Saria’s in the royal castle. We’re not safe in that witch hut anymore.”
 
Eyad nodded. On their way out of the witch hut, he managed to see a few signs of people skittering around. As a mercenary, his instincts had alerted him of the hidden threats. Turning his gaze back at the muddy road, he whipped the carriage’s horses, forcing them to scuttle faster.
 
Now let’s just try which one will work. ‘Spirit Eyes.’
 
I shut my eyes again, I ordered my large reserve of mana to flood into my eyes. It was the same way how Saria taught me. It felt warm and relaxing for some unknown reason. Taking a deep breath, I opened my eyes and looked around.
 
“...”
 
“What the hell is wrong with these dumb guys again?” Though they were a bit new to me, I gazed at the green balls giggling as they bounced against my carriage. Some even entering my carriage, bringing the green lines which I used to build the [Wind Arrow] spell along with them. Unlike the temperamental blue balls, these guys looked like they’re enjoying life. If I would describe them, I’ll describe them as free and lax. They’re literally going with the flow. That’s how I feel about them. Anyway, are they enjoying life by banging against the carriage?
 
I shook my head and decided to just determine what type of folks are these spirits. I already discovered that the sky blue balls were spirits, then these free folks are... [Appraise].
 
 
Name: Wind Spirit
Lvl: 0
 
[Due to your constant use of [Spirit Eyes], you are now allowed to see the type and levels of the spirits. Your skill, [Spirit Eyes], had leveled up.]
 
 
“Wind Spirits.” I gazed at the flickering window before me. I rubbed my eyes, assuring myself that it was not a dream. I could see their level now? For the first time in my otherworld life, [Appraise] had finally shown its worth. I gripped my fist and almost shouted a hurray.
 
I continued to watch them and found them interesting. They’re simply ignoring me even when I tried to touch the green waves. Unlike the icy blue balls, they’re less spiky.
 
Wait, what if. “Eyad, please slow down the carriage a little,” I asked.
 
Eyad turned a little and saw my glittering eyes again. He stuttered but managed to say the words I was waiting for before moving his gaze to the road again. “Your eyes…Y-yes.”
 
I watched the green balls, I mean, the wind spirits. But this time, they were flooding inside, all gazing at me patiently. Did I kill their fun? Wait, they’re not aggressive. I lifted my hand and slowly poke one little green ball sitting on my lap. “How are you little wind spirit.”
 
Though it didn’t have any eyes, I could still feel that it was curiously looking at me. It was even suckling the finger I poked it with like a baby. I could feel it. It was so damn cute. “Howdy?”
 
Then, the air turned a bit weird. The other wind spirits turned their gaze and looked at my side. I followed their gaze and threw a glance on my side. There, I saw a fist-sized green ball watching me. It was the largest spirit I had ever seen. For some reason, I felt this guy was the answer to all my problems.
 
“How are you large wind spirit?” I moved my fingers and decided to poke it like the little wind spirit, wondering how it would react. Nevertheless, I could feel that it was pushing against my hand. It was not as cute as the little green one. “Come on buddy, humor me. This lady might die soon so let me enjoy a little.”
 
Soon, I felt a gale like a gust of wind skittering inside the carriage. I turned a bit and felt that all the other green balls laughing, some even pointing at the big green spirit. The wind started to blow strongly, it even invited the attention of Eyad, “Are you alright, over there princess? It’s a bit windy, please bear with it.”
 
“Alright, don’t worry I’m fine,” I said before ignoring Eyad again.
 
Curious, I continued to push against the fist-sized green ball.
 
“Come on little buddy, suck on my fingers too.” The moment I said that. I felt the pushing force stop. Then… “Ahhhhhh!.”
 
“Princess! What’s happening there?! Are you okay? Should I slow down more?” A worried voice sounded from the front of the carriage.
 
“No, no. I just bit my finger. I’m fine.” I looked at the fingers that I poke bleeding a little. I licked the bleeding finger like a cat to stop the dripping blood. The blowing wind inside the carriage stopped for a moment before whispering more forcefully. All of the other green balls were not only laughing but now they’re bawling their eyes out as they pointed at me… and the fist-sized greeny. My eyes turned blank for a moment, [Appraise].
 
 
Name: [Alistair - Named Wind Spirit]
Lvl: 50
Title: Tempest Wind
 
 
“Ah, damn.” I glared at the fist-sized greeny. Though you’re a named one. You have no right to bite me. I moved my other hand and let it be suckled by the little one on my lap to cure my pained heart. “Not cute, Alistair.”
 
Wait that level!?
 
All of a sudden, the wind all over the carriage turned stale and silent. No, even outside the carriage, the blowing wind stopped. Not even the wind pressure against the carriage was spared. For some weird reason, all of the green balls, even the little green honey-suckle pop nibbling my fingers were looking at me, shocked.
 
A voice soon echoed in my head.
 
 
[All of the prerequisites for a spirit contract had been obtained. Blood of a Spirit Mage; Agreement of the Spirit, Calling the True Name of the Spirit, and Mana. The Spirit Contract will now automatically commenced.]
 
 
I gazed at the weird small shining circle that grew below Alistair the Wind Spirit. My lips felt parched due to the suddenness of the events. I could feel a river of mana rushing out of my body, drifting into the spell circle. I felt a bit dizzy as it sucked out my mana at an incredible pace. Thank goodness that my mana tank was like an ocean. It won’t ever suck me dry. Even Saria was amazed at the ocean-like amount of mana that I have.
 
Soon, another floating screen appeared in front of me.
 
 
[The contract is now completed. You are now the host of the tempest wind.]
[You have now partially opened the spirit mage’s general spirit pool.]
[Wind Pool: Wind Spirit - Alistair the Tempest Wind.]
[Your spell [Wind arrow] had now leveled up.]
[Your spell [Wind arrow] had now leveled up.]
[Your spell [Wind arrow] had now leveled up.]
[Your spell [Wind arrow] had now leveled up.]
 
 
After seeing the popping things, rising one after another before my eyes, I felt compelled to open my status board. I knew a surprise was waiting for me.
 
 
Status Panel

Name: Victoria Rothfield Rosenberg
Level: 2
Job: Princess (Fallen), Spirit Mage
Race: Human
Title: [Untested Strategist] [Host of the Tempest Wind]
 
General Skills:
[Language of Another World]
[Etiquette Lvl. 6]
[Basic Mana Manipulation Lvl.1]
[Wind Arrow Lvl. ↑5 (New)– Tempest Wind]
 
Abilities:
[Spirit Eye Lvl. ↑5]
[Appraisal Lvl. 1]
[Scent Tracking Lvl. 1]
 
Spirit Pool (Partial)
[Wind: Alistair the Tempest Wind]
[Water: None]
[Fire: None]
[Earth: None]
[Void: Victoria's Soul Fragments (Damaged)]
 
 
The status screen felt a little bit surreal. This time, I finally realized why was I called a spirit mage rather than an ordinary mage. A new path had opened before me. Next time, I’ll let every spirit suck my fingers too.
 
I lifted a tired smile.
 
Bam!
 
The carriage swayed on the right side of the road. I saw Eyad pulling the reigns hard, trying to control the sliding carriages. I saw the two poor horses leading us, turning into bloody smithereens. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. “They’re here.


Thanks for reading. Hope you'd enjoy the chapter. If you want to support me whilst having more chapters please check my Patreon.

26