Chapter 31: Tempest
701 5 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 31: Tempest

Have you ever heard of the word, ‘Tempest’? It sounds windy ain’t it? Or perhaps an odd slime is what you think of? The first time I heard of it was a few decades ago. It was in my science class. Initially, I thought it was only a weaker version of a tornado that’s not even worth another eyeful. I mean, I’d rather look at the cool twisting tornadoes and hurricanes flashing on the class’s LCD whilst ignoring the talking science teacher along with his jargons and babbles.

At that time, I found it far more fruitful to watch the flowing stock market graphs while listening to the news. After all, I knew it had more return of investment than listening to my tired-looking teacher.

If only I had known that this would happen. Damn, I should have listened carefully while checking that word’s true meaning. That rotting dictionary app of mine should have been put to good use. Though I regret it, the damage had already been done. As if I could even think of that before. Regrets are crafted based on the foundation of the words, "what-if?'

I stared at the light blue skies, unmoving. No, rather than that, I couldn't move at all. Let’s do a little rewind of what unfolded.
 

***

Gazing at the two hideous humans, I uttered, “Blow up.”

I watched the chaos slowly unfolding before my eyes. All the fibers in my body turned stout as the two little green balls of fury unleashed their power. Like a broken water dam, the ocean like mana broke free of its restraint under the consumption of little Maggie and the prideful Alistair. I swoon a little but was supported by my contract spirits, holding me through the wind’s embrace.

I turned and gazed at little Maggie supporting me from falling. Wait? No, rather than supporting me, she was hiding behind my back, peeking from time to time at the raging green ball called ‘tempest’. Ara, ara? This little imp had made me her private shield? Of course, she did not forget to sneakily siphon some dews from my mana pool. I almost laughed at the cute scaredly blob.

Using my connection with her, I asked why she was hiding. The little one shook before pointing at the skies. Funny, did the sun gain eyes and fangs? So I decided to take a look.

“...”

Raising my head, I saw the once bright blue sky rapidly being enclosed by cackling dark thunderous clouds. Soon enough, the heavens roared, trembling in anger. There was no rain but the wind blew to the east, west, north, and south. It was chaos. Flashes of zigzagging lightning fell from the sky followed by blasts of gurgling thunders.

Boom!

Boom!

And here I am, gawking at the work of my hands. It was a bit too late when I learned what the word ‘tempest’ means in this world. I shuddered, my mouth agape as I stared at the raging thunderstorm ripping through the skies. Everything had happened so fast. A category 5 level storm blew away all of the sanity in me. And damn it, is that a tornado? One, two, three, four...

Heaving, I closed my eyes and stopped counting. I lifted the rims of my glasses, my hands, shaking. The crown of pitch-black threads at the top of my head began performing its crazy waltz. I started to talk to myself about where I went wrong. From the looks of it,  I was the origin. The primary caused of all this madness unfolding before my very eyes.

I hid my face with my two hands, though peeking between my fingers. My lips quivered as my eyes transformed into wide saucers. ‘What the hell is going on?’ I thought. I tried relaxing my nerves, inhaling all the air that I could fit into my two lungs. Don’t break your character, Victoria.

[The Tempest Wind Spirit had reached the necessary amount of mana to level up.]

[The tempest wind spirit had leveled up.]

[The tempest wind spirit had leveled up.]

[The tempest wind spirit had leveled up.]

[The tempest wind spirit had leveled up.]

[The tempest wind spirit had leveled up.]

 

The ringing notifications echoed, alarming me like news of the coming F5 tornadoes. I gazed at the angry green fist-sized blob and scowled. Another bout of lightheadedness struck me, yet, the only thing I could possibly do was grit my teeth and continue the performance that I started until the end. The dud had started to drain me akin to wide-open drainage.

I thought that would be the end. Then, Alistair...exploded, releasing all of its pent-up emotions. I was suddenly reminded by my haphazard order in the very beginning, ‘Blow up. I tried calming it down to no avail.

I gazed at the famed Black Prince of the Empire as well as the representative of the Free Trade Union feeling loss. The duo shuddered as they failed to grasp the sudden change in the air, literally. Shifting their necks in all directions, what dawned upon them were as follows: Stalwart trees being ripped from their roots, spinning in the air as if they don't belong to the ground. Flying rabbits, foxes, snakes, wolves, insects, zombies, skeletons, abominations, a robed skeleton wielding a staff, a certain treant that I knew, the smelly skunks hiding in the trees shiftings shadows, and damn! The list was just continuing to grow longer and longer. Of course, I also saw a lot of green balls partying as they trailed from twister to twister. 

Anyway, I shared my sympathy with the two butlers. I don’t know what they’re feeling right now but it sucks to be them. After all, they were in the middle of it all. As for me, a sphere of green protected me from all the bashing windstorm. Well, I don’t feel anything weird at all aside from my flapping hair. Sigh. I should have tied it into a bun instead.

The proud armored man’s face trembled, gazing at me akin to a ghost, pale and wretched. His turbulent emotions flashed on in his face. It was indescribable. I felt like I had stolen his wife, his dad, his sons, his daughters, his retainers, his gold, his castles, and everything else that he deemed important. Nevertheless, he raised his sword, crackling sparks appearing on his feet, ready to defend and...attack. “A-are you really a goddess?”

And then, I nodded at him, giving him a little sack of soft buns as a consolation for his ability to guess who am I. Of course, that's a lie!

As for the nefarious grandpa whom I wanted to shred to pieces along with the damn heir of Langarde. His face was a rainbow. It turned white, then crimson, blue, green, and finally black. He raised his staff in the air, pulling out several accessories and equipping them. It broke one item at a time. He huffed and I almost saw the shadow of a black reaper above his head. Numerous flickering shields formed and cracked. Those barriers were the only things shielding his old bones as well as the empire's prince from the raging tempest.

The empire’s prince turned at the old man, listless. Then, he uttered, “I made a mistake. Ardem, give me some time. Do you still have that thing? Use it...or will die here.”
 
"B-but…”

“I’ll pay,” said the empire’s prince, his eyes zeroing on me.

“You're going to owe me a lot this time prince," the old magus smacked his dried lips, pulling something from his long robe. Crushing it, his hands raised towards the Prince. A line of blue light enveloped the tall prince. Then, he pulled another two old scrolls, his hand quivering, fearing that he might damage them. 

What is that? A lazy smile loomed over my lips, watching the loonies. Ah, even though I am still feeling a bit dizzy, looking at the two bastards gave me a sense of joy. I had quenched my thirst for revenge. I requested the help of the little green blob called Maggie to help me sent my mocking gratitude. But before I could even speak my thoughts, another ringing sound filled my ears. Ah, the notifications again.

[The Whispering Wind Spirit Maggie had leveled up.]

[The Whispering Wind Spirit Maggie had leveled up.]

[The Whispering Wind Spirit Maggie had leveled up.]

 
I watched the notifications flooding my eyes. Their relentless assaults were akin to those dirty pop-up ads that I hate. They were my virtual archenemies every time I surfed the net for my next destination. I counted with my fingers and realized that those notifications had flashed before my eyes - ten times. I gaped and ogled the cause of it all. The little tricky green blob. She looked a bit shy, hiding deeper behind my breast pocket. She dived in, peeking from time to time. Bashful, she was. I sent a mental note, ‘Heh, so you also know how to be shy?’

I felt a headache coming as soon as I realized that the glutton was still sucking me dry.

[The Whispering Wind Spirit, Maggie, had accumulated the right amount of man and earned the perfect level to evolve. A rare evolution path had been confirmed. Initializing, entering the archives of the wind spirit king...]

 

All of a sudden, the greedy thing floated in the air, shining with a green light. I almost thought she was about to ascend to bloat-hood.

[The young wind spirit had evolved, currently digesting another authority of the wind. A new title had been added and received, (Tumultuous).]

I stared at the screen and immediately cast another rare spell, [Appraisal].
 

Name: [Maggie - Named Wind Spirit]

Level: ↑30

Title: [Tumultuous Whispering Wind]

Fine, tumultuous, or whatever. For now, I’ll just ignore everything.

Staring at the shaking humans, I decided to end everything. I wanted to at least scare them to death through the great art of b*llshitting. Thus, I said, ‘[Wind Arrow]’

Just as I was about to send my thoughts over the dumb mutts, the Black Prince pupils trembled, he then roared as if something had broke in his head. He lifted his huge sword above his head, his eyes turned bloodshot, spurting crimson lines from all of his orifices as soon as he shouted a familiar word. "Ascalon!"

In the middle of the perfect storm, a column of fire punctured the dark eerie clouds, a bright light peeked, a column of fire in the form of a blazing dragon fell to the earth, rapidly coalescing into a humongous crimson sword. It was like watching those crazy animation concepts that our company pursued using big money.
 
My two brows twitch, watching the most not-so-realistic sight that had occurred in my life. Looking at my delicate windshield, I gulped. I am sure it’ll be ripped to shreds along with me. Okay, let’s not jinx it. If that towering sword falls, I’ll be in trouble.

“So this is how you will treat me," I whispered to the duo through little Maggie. I threw a fleeting glance that had nothing but the flavor disdain. Well, honestly, my legs were already wobbling big time. What the hell is that bloody sword? Ain’t that a tower? I’m feeling a bit out of the weather, looking around...it’s indeed been quite a bad weather.

I gazed at the wind arrows that I just casually made, "Huh?"

Then, I realized something crazy.  The [Wind Arrows] weren't some normal wind arrows. The tornadoes tilted acting like damn wind arrows. Do you get my point? My face turned ugly and understood why the reaction of the armored hulk was like that. Why he had suddenly turned wild, risking it all.

What the hell! I was only trying to scare them. I stared at the black prince and the old magus, knowing that they were about to make their move. I wanted to run but my feet refused to move even a step. 

“Now!” All of a sudden, the prince roared. The huge skyscraper crimson sword suddenly fell from the sky, slashing straight towards me.

Then, a weird circle appeared on the old magus' feet. He clung on the armor of the empire's prince, refusing to let go, as he cast one shield after another. He was holding two scrolls in his hand, grappling them as the wind slapped his face. His shield broke one by one. As ten twisters cum [Wind Arrow] struck them from behind. I winced at that sight. So this is how wind spirits burst someone’s chrysanthemum in this world.

 

"Hell, I only have these two so make sure we'll manage to live! Damn, I shouldn't have meddled with this nation. That girly whacko and another unknown prick came, sh*t! What's wrong with this nation!" The old man roared at the top of his failing lungs.

The empire's Crown Prince Darius huffed in agreement. His gigantic sword fell without any mercy.

Unfortunately, I only have one spell left in my arsenal. The only offensive magic that I had painstakingly managed to learn in a year. I pointed my fingers at the giant sword falling towards my direction, my lips moved on their own, guided by the tempest wind.

And the date between the gyrating tornado and the crimson sword began. Damn, their first meeting clicked, I mean, come on I literally saw sparks flying in the air. The crimson blade tried to fight against the twisting wind, lightning, corpses, human, animal, and trees filled tornado. And it failed.

I sighed in relief after seeing the massive crimson sword cracking after being shredded by the twisters.

"I can't hold on anymore." The prince spurted another batch of blood from his mouth. The bloody mist skittering around his body made him look like a bloody corpse. "Do it, argggg!"
 
Shivering, I saw the old man biting his lips in deep regret. Then, he tore the first old scroll… casting a spell as he threw it towards me like a bullet. Ripping the other scroll and roaring. He shrieked in pain as he ripped his two precious scrolls. "Noooo! I hate you! You monster!”
 
A blast of violet dust exploded from the scroll, it freely passed through my windshield, and then my heart shuddered. I lowered my head and saw a shining magic circle below my feet as well as below the bloody man.

By instinct, I called my two contracted spirits for help. I tried jumping out of the circle but was blocked by a unique barrier.
 

[You are about to enter a god-rank random long-distance teleportation. Now, brace yourself for the craggy ride.]

"Damn it" I almost puked blood in shock. I tried pushing and punching to break the barrier but to no avail. The two green blobs also tried using the twisters but only managed to make a little crack which healed as soon as it appeared. All the twisters also suddenly vanished in thin air as the two green blobs dropped into my breast pockets. They were dead tired.

A blue light flashed, shocking the daylights out of me. The two dastardly men who trapped me here, gone without a trace. Only leaving a ripped burning parchment.

My mind turned blank.

"Victoria! What happened here?" I saw a familiar mage, using her cracked staff to support her unsteady steps. Her robe, ripped and cut, blood oozing from her wounds. Unlike her usual 'I'm invincible attitude,' she looks rather tamed and weak. She tried walking straight to me… but she stumbled, falling to her knees. She was shivering. Her eyes were losing focus. I saw her left hand slowly turning black, leaving me aghast. Then, she fell straight to the ground.

"Saria! Saria! Damn it, open. Open for me!" I roared at the top of my lungs. Bashing the shield until my two hands bled. "Hell! Open up you terrible sh*tty barrier!"

[The space magic spell cast had been completed. You'll be teleported in 10, 9, 8, 7,6…]

"No. No. No! Not now!" I grimaced, my voice trembling. I clawed the barrier till a few of my fingernails broke. Despite ignoring the pain, I still failed. I stared at Saria and felt a deep sense of worry stabbing my heart.

[You'll now be teleported.]
 
....


Ehem, if you want advanced chapters, please do check out my Patreon so that you could read all that I had written in stock.  It's already about 6 chapters advanced and is still increasing. 

28