13: Quick Apologies
17 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next day, Eri reluctantly approached Chisa before their first shared class. She was dreading the barrage of questions that she knew her friend was going to ask. Chisa greeted her with excitement, and her eyes were practically sparkling. Eri braced herself.

But Chisa didn't start with questions, instead she exclaimed, "Your new jacket is pretty! And you'll never believe who I wound up with after the group date!"

Eri blinked and then asked with confusion, "Who?"

Chisa giggled. She seemed so exuberant that Eri knew that she'd started dating whoever it was. She always threw herself into things with enthusiasm, whether relationships, classes, clubs, or hobbies, and never let the failures keep her down for long. Eri admired that about her friend, even though it was occasionally annoying.

Chisa didn't just flit from thing to thing. She carried through on everything she started, whether it was finishing a class or completing a handicraft. She did go through a lot of relationships, but Eri knew that she put her heart into each one, and cried when they ended.

"You know that really hot student teacher that came to our chemistry class?" Eri gave her a blank look and Chisa added with a little irritation, "About a month ago?"

"Oh." Eri nodded.

"One of the guys who were at the group date turned out to be his younger brother, he came to pick him up when it ended, and we started talking… We had a date yesterday, and it was amazing!" Chisa bubbled with enthusiasm. Suddenly she remembered Eri's guy, and asked, "What happened after you left with that pretty guy in red leather? Did you go on a date for real?"

Eri blushed and replied hesitantly, "Not exactly, we went to his apartment."

Chisa smirked and asked, "How was he?"

Eri didn't reply immediately, she was embarrassed, but she didn't want to hide anything from Chisa. Her friend wasn't perfect, but she was always open about things. And for once, she actually could answer that kind of question… but she didn't know what to say. Warm? Fast? Amazing? Different? Hot?

Chisa looked at Eri's hand and exclaimed, "Oh wow, did he give you that ring? It's really cute!"

Eri shrugged and nodded.

"Are you really…" Chisa began, but she was interrupted by the arrival of the muscular young student teacher that she was probably dating now.

Eri hadn't really liked him, but she was doing poorly in chemistry, so she couldn't really blame him for the scorn he'd shown her either. He leaned over Chisa's shoulder and whispered something in her ear.

Chisa blushed and told Eri apologetically, "Sorry, I'll ask you more later. Go on to class without me, I'll be there in a few minutes."

Eri just nodded again, and Chisa tucked her hand into his arm and they both hurried away. Eri looked after them with mixed feelings for a moment, and then turned and went to class.

--

Chisa slid into her seat breathlessly just before the teacher took attendance.

Eri looked at her flushed face and decided uncomfortably that they'd probably just had sex. She wasn't sure why the idea bothered her. Given what she'd done over the weekend, she felt like a hypocrite, so she didn't say anything.

She tried to focus on the rather bored tone their teacher was reciting his lecture in.

--

Chisa didn't wind up quizzing her more about Takumi at lunch. Instead, when they met up again during the break between the two classes they didn't share, Chisa apologized again.

"I told him I usually have lunch with you, but he asked if he could have me Monday and Friday, and I agreed." Chisa explained. "But if you really mind I'll tell him I can't after all?"

"I don't mind," Eri assured her calmly, and Chisa grinned at her happily. Eri couldn't help asking, "But is it really okay, I mean, this is where he works?"

Chisa laughed and insisted, "Don't worry so much! Neither of us are going to miss a class or anything silly."

"Okay," Eri agreed uncertainly, and shrugged.

Chisa hugged her and said, "I'll see you after our last class."

Eri shook her head in negation, and Chisa looked at her questioningly.

Eri explained shyly, "I've got an appointment after classes are over."

Chisa examined her face for a moment and then asked wryly, "An appointment? You mean a date?"

Eri denied it. "It's not, it's a doctor appointment."

"Why? Are you feeling sick? What's wrong?" Chisa asked with alarm.

"Nothing!" Eri replied quickly. "It's for um, birth control."

Chisa gazed at her with a stunned expression, and Eri blushed. She wanted to look anywhere else, but there were other people seated at the tables, and the thought that some of them might have heard her only increased her embarrassment. After a moment Chisa laughed and reached out to ruffle Eri's hair.

"You really are cautious, but I'm glad you're finally dating on your own," Chisa said with amusement. She hugged Eri again, and then ran off to meet her new lover.

Eri got her food, then chose a table, and sat. She started eating, but stopped again and looked up in surprise as her youngest uncle dropped into the seat on the other side of the table. He set down his own plate, stretched out his long legs, and grinned at her.

"Are you ready for my test on Thursday?" he asked.

Eri grimaced at him and said formally, "I'll do my best Toriyama-sensei."

He stuck his tongue out at her.

She laughed and complained, "Oji-chan, you're the one who told me to always call you that at school. Why are you eating with me today?"

"I saw Chisa-chan abandon you, and I haven't talked to you in weeks outside class," he replied. He looked her over and added, "And your grade is falling lately, so I guess I sort of am interfering as your teacher. So, what's up?"

Eri shrugged.

"Too busy dating to study?" he asked, with a glance in the direction Chisa had departed in.

Eri went scarlet and he looked back at her and then laughed. "Really?!" he enquired with a voice full of mirth.

Eri protested quickly, "I have started dating someone, but you can't blame my grade on Takumi! I just met him on Friday."

"Oh? What should I blame your grade on then?" he asked more seriously.

Eri shrugged again and looked at him unhappily.

He sighed and reached across the table to ruffle her hair, the same way Chisa had. "Alright, just do your best."

They finished lunch quietly and went to their classes.

--

After her last class, Eri hurried to meet Takumi, who was waiting near the entrance with his bike.

He kissed her and then grimaced and said, "Sorry." She looked up at him with a worried expression, and he continued, "I'll have to go back to work for awhile as soon as we're done."

"Oh," she replied.

"I wanted to have dinner with you tonight," he complained. "Have dinner with me tomorrow?"

"Okay," she agreed.

He smiled and kissed her again, and then insisted on tightening the straps in her jacket. He also fastened the helmet for her. She felt like she should learn to make the adjustments and how to fasten the odd combination of buckle and snap herself, but she didn't want to make him wait while she struggled with it.

2