Chapter 8: Abandoned
66 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Dear daddy how are you? im doing well. im pretty angry that you still havent came back but i guess i can forgive you becose you promised me lots of stuff! I now that your doing very importent work. mommy talks about it a lot. she says that your going to be very famous soon and we can have lots of food and we can go to any place in the world!!! I want too go too Ursulas Range! sorry i have to make this short. kenna is coming over to play. bye bye daddy! see you later!” 

 

Benjamin sat at his table under a dim lightbulb in Fort Leus, reading the letter in his hands over and over again, sometimes laughing at the mistakes, and other times talking to himself about how adorable Liz can be.

 

If one of the soldiers in the fort saw Benjamin right now, they would immediately arrest him and put him into interrogation, asking where the real Benjamin is.

 

As he was gushing over this letter, the door burst open and a panicked Officer came in. 

 

Seeing the panic on his face, he immediately realized it wasn’t meant to be disrespectful and spoke in an appeasing tone, “Calm down Officer, what’s the matter? Is there another fight? How bad was it?”

 

Out of breath, the Officer spoke in between deep breaths. “Lots of… targets.. radar! They’re coming!” 

 

Taken aback, Benjamin quickly took out the report from his desk. 

 

“It was meant to come 3 days ago.. And it was only meant to be alone.. What do you mean by lots of targets? How many and how far away are they!?” Benjamin skimmed over the report multiple times to make sure he was indeed correct.

 

“We don’t know, we guess it’s roughly 800 to a 1000. They’re moving quite slow so they’ll probably be here at about 16:30 by our calculations.” The Officer regained his breath as he anxiously stared at Benjamin.

 

“Request air support and ask for an evac order, worst comes to worst, we’ll evacuate anyway.. 1000 planes, moving that slowly? The only reason would be that they’re carrying ultra-heavy bombs, and they wouldn’t only send 1000 planes for bombing, there has to be an escort, so behind these bombers should be the fighters perhaps?” Benjamin spoke to himself as he took out the radio and connected it quickly.

 

“What are you standing there for!? Get ready for an evac and prepare some AA(Anti-Aircraft) for any advance units.” Benjamin shouted at the Officer who quickly scurried out of the room.

 

“Hello! This is Radio Recie-” A boys voice came through but was quickly interrupted by Benjamin.

 

“This is Captain Benjamin Mea of Fort Leus, quickly connect me to General Kennedy Tores, it’s an emergency!” Benjamin nearly shouted into the radio.

 

Almost like magic, unlike before when it would take some time to connect, it had connected instantly.

 

“What’s wrong Mea?” General Tores’ voice sounded confused.

 

“We have 1000 enemies coming in slowly over the sea, all planes, by their slow movement I suspect them all to be bombers equipped with ultra-heavy bombs, and more fighters behind them to escort. The fort isn’t equipped to handle this many planes. I’d like to request air support and an evacuation order.” Benjamin rapidly spat out everything he knew and waited for a response.

 

“I’m afraid.. That’s not going to happen Mea. Forgive us. We don’t have the manpower to support you, and if those planes get past Fort Leus, the capital and other cities will be in trouble.. Your wife and daughter are in the capital.. Surely you wouldn’t want to endanger them?” General Tores spoke in a cold voice as he explained slowly.

 

“What!? Are you threatening me!? You’re really not giving us any support? We are truly unable to stop this many planes, this fort will fall, and the cities will be next. Just send reinforcements here and I have a 90% chance of stopping them!” Benjamin spoke quickly as his saliva flew everywhere.

 

“Sorry, but we’re unable to do anything… I, along with the entire Jusla Republic and its peoples all pray for your success.” The line cut with that.

 

Benjamin slowly released the radio that had started to distort due to the force he held it with and collapsed into his chair.

 

Why..? What reason? This is absurd! Are those superiors completely braindead? If Fort Leus falls.. Nothing will stop those planes and continuous naval invasions. What’s going on?

 

He stared at the radio that had gone dead as a fire grew in him. Am I just a sacrifice? Is Jusla going to surrender this fort and get rid of me as a side bonus?

 

“Ahhhh!” Benjamin roared as he overturned his table, knocking everything to the floor. 

 

“Fuck!” He kicked the table with his steel-toed boots, causing a large crack to appear in the middle of it.

 

His eyes fixed onto a letter and he calmed down. Picking it up, he carefully rolled it up and took deep breaths.

 

“Since they want to get rid of me.. I’ll happily oblige.. It’s just a matter of a gamble. I’ll make sure to win this gamble.” He held the letter close to him and gently placed it inside one of the large pockets on the inside of his trench coat.

 

5