27. Covenant
526 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“ So did you manage to stop them?” Mii asked Zor as he came back to his hut. It had been a week since the incident with Mii’s father and she had been staying with Zor the whole time. Since then a sizable number of other goblins had the dreams and had been brought under the feast bringer's protection including goblins who had never had the dreams to begin with.

 

“ No, Father and the others are determined to continue on.” Zor said with frustration. After a large portion of the goblins signed on to this belief in a dream god his father the chief decided to hunt down the source of these dreams and slay it in order to bring peace back to the tribe and no amount of discussion was going to convince him not to.

 

“ This is bad right! The woman in the dreams said that we would get destroyed if we challenged the dream god right.” Gobox said clearly, dreading what was to come.

 

“ Maybe the chief will  be fine, right. I mean it is the chief hunting party.” Said a woman in the nearby crowd that had probably never had the dream.

 

“ Don’t be ridiculous, the dream god is going to kill us all.” Said a man this time who probably has had the dream.  You can easily tell apart those who have experienced the dreams from those who haven't.

 

Ignoring them, Bors turned towards me and asked. “ So what are we planning to do about this? If it keeps up like this it’s only a matter of time before the dream god responds.”

Thinking of it carefully I told him. “ Bors, Gobox, have some of our guys stand watch over the village tonight. Mii tomorrow we meet with the new people who have the dream and will try to figure out a way to contact them.”

 

If we can explain the situation, maybe we can gain some mercy. After that we discussed things within the feast bringer’s and tried to keep the rest of the members who saw the dream calm and composed.

 

Later that night after Zor himself had gone to bed he had a dream. He saw a cave at the side of a mountain. From inside the cave he could faintly see a bright light. Walking into the cave the light grew brighter and brighter until the light blinded him to anything else. Looking at the bright light Zor felt a strange arousal more intense than the feeling from the first dream.

 

“Zor!” the light boomed in a voice that to Zor sounded neither male or female. “ Why have you forsaken the warning that my servants have given you?”

 

At once Zor was struck by the realization of the identity of the one before him. He went to his knees and begged. “ Please spare my village. I tried to stop them to the best of my ability.”

 

“ And yet they still mean to attack me and my servants. How do you propose to make up for this insult.” The shining one spoke to Zor.

 

“ I , no, We will do anything to calm your wrath if you but spare my village.” Zor said somehow managing to bow down lower to the ground.

 

At Zor’s words the light approached closer to him until right in front of him it spoke. “ A sacrifice.”

 

“Sacrifice?” Zor asked, confused.

 

“ Once a month a number of your kind will be stripped of your clothes and weapons and be led naked out into the forest and abandoned never to be seen again. Do this and spread these customs to the others of your kind throughout this land by words or by conflict and I will spare your village.” The light spoke as it was getting even closer to Zor.

 

Zor thought for a moment. His people knew of sacrifice’s of course, During times of crisis the shaman’s will sacrifice a member of the tribe to the gods in order to appease them and avert disaster, but how were they going to cope with doing that once a month and how were they going to get the other village to go along with it. Nevertheless Zor answered with. “ Yes, I will.”

 

“ Good then I will consider this Chief’s hunting party my first sacrifice and will contact you again at the time of the next one.” The light said as it moved away from Zor and back into the cave.

 

“ Wait!!” Zor called out. The light then stopped it’s movement. “ Please spare them. i-It was my failure that caused this to happen please spare them. I know it is much to ask..”

 

“You will be mine.” The voice in the light cut him off. “ You and yours's will be mine.  You will live your lives at my direction, you and your people will defend and further my interest just as I will protect and further your lives. You will spread my dominion across the forest and beyond and live life’s you can’t even imagine. I will return the strong one to you, the one’s your village needs to survive, including your father. Will you strike this covenant with me?”

 

“ Yes,” Zor said without hesitation.

 

“ Good then return to the walking world Zor! Return of what and tell of what has happened here. The next time you meet my representatives will be in the waking world.” At that the light spread wide and bathed Zor in a profound sense of comfort as he lost consciousness.

21