Folklore: Tangkuban Perahu
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sangkuriang's story began when a king named Sungging Perbangkara was out hunting in the forest. In the midst of his hunting, he felt like urinating and was about to go into the bush.

When he was fulfilling his wish, the king's urine was caught in a caring leaf (taro forest) which was accidentally drunk by a wild boar who was turning into a human named Wayung.

Immediately she made Wayung pregnant and gave birth to a beautiful baby named Dayang Sumbi. Dayang Sumbi's beauty became more visible when she grew up. So, many of the kings wanted to marry it. In fact, some were willing to fight for Dayang Sumbi.

Because Dayang Sumbi didn't want to get married, she finally went into seclusion accompanied by her dog, named Tumang. One time, Dayang Sumbi was busy weaving cloth and accidentally the thread she was using suddenly fell.

Feeling lazy to take the scroll, somehow it came out of his mouth that anyone who could get the spool if he was a woman would be made a brother. However, if it is a man then he will become a husband.

"Whoever can get the thread, if he's a woman I'll make him a brother, and if he's a man I'll make him a husband," said Dayang Sumbi.

Unexpectedly, Si Tumang, his pet dog, took the scroll. And because he had promised, Dayang Sumbi finally married Si Tumang.

Tumang is actually an incarnation of a god who turns into a dog. From that marriage, a child was born who was named Sangkuriang.

Sangkuriang grew up to be a tough boy and liked to hunt in the forest. Every time he hunts, he is always accompanied by his mother's favorite dog named Tumang. He also did not know that Tumang was his father because his mother, Dayang Sumbi, had kept it a secret.

One day when Sangkuriang was about to hunt with Tumang, he told Tumang to chase the Wayung sow, who was none other than Dayang Sumbi's mother. Because he did not obey Sangkuriang's orders, Sangkuriang killed Si Tumang. Si Tumang's heart was taken by Sangkuriang and given to his mother, Dayang Sumbi to be cooked and eaten.

Knowing that what he had eaten was Si Tumang's heart, he became very angry. Instantly, Sangkuriang's head was beaten until he was injured and was evicted from his residence.

Sangkuriang, who was disappointed with his mother's treatment, went wandering. After the incident, Dayang Sumbi regretted his actions. He prayed to the gods for guidance and hoped that Sangkuriang would come back soon.

Time passed, until Sangkuriang grew up to be a handsome and handsome man. I don't know how long he wandered until without realizing it, Sangkuriang returned to the forest where he came from. There Sangkuriang was fascinated by a daughter he met in the middle of the forest, who was none other than his own mother, Dayang Sumbi. Apparently Dayang Sumbi had high supernatural powers so that she looked young like a girl.

Dayang Sumbi's prayer was answered, even though she is no longer young, she still looks beautiful. Until one day, Sangkuriang met Dayang Sumbi, but he did not recognize Dayang Sumbi as his mother, and even fell in love with her.

Likewise with Dayang Sumbi, who did not know that this dashing man was Sangkuriang and they developed love. One day Dayang Sumbi was stroking Sangkuriang's head, she accidentally found a scar due to the beating that was done to Sangkuriang several years ago. Knowing this, Dayang Sumbi believed that Sangkuriang was her biological child.

Sangkuriang who had proposed to Dayang Sumbi, confused him and looked for a way so that the marriage to Sangkuriang would never happen. Finally, Dayang Sumbi put forward several conditions to him, namely that Sangkuriang had to be able to build a lake and a boat and dam the Citarum river in one night.

Sangkuriang agreed to this requirement because he had studied and became a powerful mandraguna. As a result, Sangkuriang was able to fulfill the requirements given to him by Dayang Sumbi. When all the work was almost finished, Dayang Sumbi was confused and asked Dewa for directions.

The god ordered Dayang Sumbi to wave her scarf and magically the sun appeared on the eastern horizon as a sign that morning had come.

Sangkuriang, who felt he failed, became furious. Then, he kicked the half-finished boat with all his might and rolled on its stomach until finally the nickname Tangkuban Parahu appeared.

0