7: Leo, the Rat
3.2k 15 121
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[A/n: If you leave a Comment / Rate / Vote, you will help Motivating the Author and Promote the Novel.]

It all became clear to him now, he's in one of those tavern/brothels that he heard about on the way to the Northern District.

The "Honey Saloon", according to Jordi, is one of the most hospitable and the best salons in this area.

"No customers yet?" Leon asked.

"Not this early." Jordi wasn't the one who replied but it was rather Jessica.

She walked downstairs into the saloon with her long black ponytail waving around as she seemed in a good mood. The way her body moved was a marvel of its own as her assets rubbed against the skirt of her red dress that was tightened by a corset pushing up her jiggly puffs which were struggling out the cleavage. Even with the high boots that covered up to her knees, parts of her hips were exposed showing not only most of their charm but the finely detailed tattoos that artistically appeared on other parts of her body such as her neck and shoulders.

"Miss Jessica has that effect on people." Jordi said with a silly awkward smile.

"What effect?" Leon asked.

"You know… that shock on your face. She isn't the most expensive girl in the saloon for nothing."

"… Whatever!"

Leon switched his attention to the warm soup and the rye bread drinking and eating not minding anything else.

"Want some swill?" Jordi asked.

"Swill?"

"Alcohol."

"I don't drink."

Leon may have seemed like a sharing character a while ago but that when he wanted to cover his backstory a little. He loved the looks of a vagrant he's in as long as it keeps him safe from any more search from the knights. Now he needs information for himself.

"How big is this district?" Leon asked.

"What kind of question is that?" Jordi furrowed his brows asking.

"I mean… It took me a lot of time to cross from where I arrived in this district. Say I want to find someone in this district but I don't know where they live exactly, how much leg work will it take me?" Leon fashioned the question to suit his situation.

"Just give up." Jessica spoke from across the hall as she was cleaning the area behind the saloon's bar.

"You heard right, you won't find anyone without having at least an address." Jordi affirmed it.

"Well… no worries."

The question he just asked was to affirm how long will it take for a search party to look for him. The truth proved to be satisfactory.

If the knights tried to force a search by using posters and fliers then they are as dumb as it gets. He'll simply leave on the first sign of trouble.

All he needs for now is to lay low.

[A/n: If you leave a comment on the chapter, you will help promote this novel.]

"So…" Jessica came from the bar and sat in front of Leon, "You're paying or begging?"

"Excuse me?" Leon frowned at her attitude.

"You were penniless when we fished you out. How do you plan to pay the Madam?" She asked.

Leon looked between Jessica who was between picking a fight with him and acting like she's some big shit around the place and Jordi who seemed to be very meek around her.

"How much?" He asked Jessica but kept an eye on Jordi.

"A shilling."

Hearing Jessica and watching Jordi react as if he was shocked by her price tagging, Leon turned to her with his brows raised as he dipped one more piece of the bread in the soup before eating it with a provocative attitude.

"I suppose you are not haggling?" He asked.

"This is not where people haggle." She replied.

"Great… Why a full shilling though?"

"Good thing you asked. Let's see… you cost us medicine, food and drink, you slept over in a warm bed and you're wearing our rags. Did I forget to mention that one of our employees saved your life and was watching over you all night?"

"Indeed." Leon nodded, "You can't really put a price on life."

"So we agree." She became relaxed, "Now, how do you plan to pay?"

Leon didn't really reply and simply extended his hand to the shoes he's wearing. That was his shoes from last night and no matter how expensive they may have looked back then, running in the streets and taking a dip in a river made them look like some ordinary shoes by the next morning.

The trick, however, came from when Leon pulled out a few coins from them. Both Jessica and Jordi didn't know how to feel about the fact that this guy happened to be smarter than what he may have seemed. Of course he used the [Space-Time Magic: Storage] to retrieve the coins.

"A Shilling." He said slamming a silver coin on the table.

Jessica looked at the silver and was about to pick it but someone beat her to it.

"I'll be taking that."

"Madam?!"

Jordi and Jessica realized that this Madam came from their blindspot where only Leon could see. The Madam, despite wearing several accessories and an obvious high heel, simply moved very quietly for the two of them to notice. On the other hand, Leon didn't even react to her from the start making Jessica grind her teeth at how she felt being outplayed by him.

[A/n: If you leave a comment on the chapter, you will help promote this novel.]

Jordi and Jessica stood up for the Madam as she sat down ahead of Leon in Jessica's seat. She looked past her prime yet still vigorous and sexy as a woman who aged well wearing a fancy dress of a woman of the trade and having her brown wavy hair tied together.

"A paying customer is a welcome sight." She said playing with the silver coin between her fingers.

"Who's almost bankrupt." Leon replied unamused.

Losing one of the seven silver shillings he has sure hurt a little.

"Oh, don't say that now." The Madam said, "You're the one who said you can't put a price on life."

"And no good deed goes uncharged for." Leon added as he continued eating.

"True. Not in this city at least." She charmingly said, "Haven't caught your name, young man."

"Leo."

"Just Leo?"

Leon looked at the woman and tried to figure out what she's thinking by the question.

"A man is given one name to live with, why need more than one?" He replied.

"Charming, I see." The Madam laughed, "And I go by Ruth, Madam Ruth."

"It's an honor, Madam. Thank you for your hospitality." He said.

"So Leo, don't mind me asking but you look like a guy with a story…" She said.

"You can tell?" He tried to divert her question by figuring out her intentions.

"Son, all my life I have been listening to me, I know a man with a story when I see one." She said casually.

"I guess there are all sorts of people in such a big city then." He shrugged his shoulder giving up on escaping from her question.

"So, how did you end up in a river all the way to my laundry net?" She asked.

Leon kept eating and winked at Jordi. The fatso took the hint and retold what Leon told him about getting caught up in the aggressive chase of the knights. Ruth seemed interested especially when Leon started to exaggerate how the knights were rough with the people.

"Those damn knights are at it again, huh? They are just like locusts with how they infest wherever they go with suffering." Ruth seemed to be biased against the knights judging by the nasty look on her face.

"Indeed. I am not sure if coming to the Capital is a good idea anymore." Leon said.

"Where are you from?" Ruth asked.

"Cairo." He replied.

"Where's that?" She tilted her head a little not remembering any place with the name.

"It's right next to Giza, only the river separates them." Leon said nonchalantly, "You don't know where they are?"

Ruth shook her head.

"No wonder. It is far away."

Just as he described it to the fruit vendor the other day, he used the same trick once again. The Key to creating the perfect deception is to never lie. Many people are insightful enough to tell when the other party is lying and thus this deception works around those people.

"And what brought you to the capital, Leo?" Ruth asked.

"Call it a chance, fate or whatever. I got separated from my family in an unfortunate accident and I thought about starting a life in the city." He replied.

Ruth listened but she was noticing how Leon was looking around, checking his surroundings and putting together his words. He was wary and on guard which is a plus in this place.

"And what did you do for a living before?" She asked.

"Gravedigging." He said.

"Sorry."

"The people I called my family are Gravediggers, Cemetery Keepers, Funerals and such." He said.

Ruth nodded. The profession was indeed ominous but a hooker is the last person to shame others for their career choices. Not even the decent criminals would want anything to do with gravedigging.

"At least any job would pay better than a Rat's job." Ruth said looking at Jessica who returned a yellow smile.

"If it exists." Leon murmured.

Ruth's curiosity seemed to have been satisfied. She then switched the subject to end the conversation.

"You're interested in a Rat's job, boy?" She asked Leon.

Hearing her, Leon frowned a little especially when Jessica, who was standing behind Ruth, started shaking her head lightly to him and Jordi seemed nervous. Leon turned to Ruth and asked.

"What does a Rat do?"

"Whatever a Rat is told to do. I need someone to do odd jobs so don't worry about the job… until you sort your matters of course." Ruth said.

Leon realized that this job is not anything better than a slave. Street Bosses would normally reel in vagrants and urchins to do these kinds of jobs and control them through various means.

Leon knows this very well, Shady grew up that way.

"Do I get Madam's favor if I become your pet Rat?" He asked.

"Heh! Even the Dogs in the streets will watch over for you, boy." She said, "That said, I provide food, shelter and reward if you are smart enough."

"Good offer." Leon said as he dusted off his hand and clothes of the bread crumbs and stood up, "I'll take it."

"You sure?" Ruth asked.

"Totally." He said, "Should I go down on my knee and swear an oath?"

"Not at all." She stood up as well and handed Leon back the Silver Shilling, "Buy yourself something nice to wear and assist Jordi in his chores. You're now a Rat"

The moment Leon received the coin, he bowed down comically yet as Ruth turned away, a strange message appeared.

[ You have gained the title {Rat} ]

———————————
Support the Author, visit Discord server on → https://linktr.ee/donovel

121