Chapter 4 – A Boy without Aptitude
397 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Back in the study, I pulled out a book called "Introduction to Beginner's Class Magic" along with the crystal ball, which had collected an inordinate amount of dust, suggesting that it had been long neglected. Honestly, I would be surprised if there is anyone in our territory that can use magic given that the odds are one in several thousand.

「Let's see... First, hold up both hands and cover the crystal ball.」

I followed the instructions in the book and noticed that the crystal ball began to give off a weak light that shone with all the colours of the rainbow.

「If done correctly, the crystal ball will exude a rainbow light. This is normal for all people and should not be misconstrued as evidence of magical aptitude. Next, envision yourself absorbing the rainbow light into your palms and imagine it circulating throughout your body. If the rainbow light in the crystal ball is extinguished, you have magical talent. This is often accompanied by a warming sensation, which is not a cause for concern.」

The book also had a disclaimer that said that I shouldn't get my hopes up, as success up to this point doesn't mean that I have enough aptitude to build a future using magic.

According to the book, mana circulates through the body along with a set of arteries known as the "magic pathways" and is stored in an organ called the "magic sac."

It has been hypothesised by the scholars that the pathways and sac are coextensive with the veins and liver, but that they exist on a different physical plane. This hasn't been confirmed, but it was written in the book as if it were fact.

「 Let's begin now, shall we?」 I spoke nervously to myself.

It was now time for truth. My hands were hovering over the crystal ball. My heart was beating so fast I could practically hear it throughout my entire body. The rule is simple. If the rainbow colour from the crystal disappears, I have an aptitude for magic and will be able to use it. If I do develop an aptitude for magic it will greatly help me in the future, however, there is this fear of mine that I probably can't. I mean the chances of it are very low in itself.

No, I should think positive and hope for the best. Although low, they are not absolute zero after all. I stabilise my breathing and then try to envision absorbing the rainbow light as the book told me to. I close my eyes to exhibit my maximum concentration and try to feel the warmth that the book described. Due to my ever-growing stress and anxiety, my ears are becoming hot and red.

After a while, I slightly open the left eye to check whether the rainbow colour disappeared or not.

It didn't. I opened both my eyes and tried again. Nothing changes. I tried it again. Nothing this time too. Again and again and again until I got exhausted and fed up of it.

「Why?」

I spoke in a heartbroken voice. Although I knew that the chances for me developing an aptitude for magic were almost non-existent I still hoped for it somewhere in my heart. I hoped that it would prove me wrong and show that I could indeed use it. Frustrated I threw the book to the side and laid down horizontally on the floor curled up.

I was feeling a wave of emotions right now, regret, anger, frustration, sadness and whatnot. I felt jealous of people who could use magic. I felt lonely. I felt cheated. Gritting my teeth I didn't realize when I started to cry. To hide my face, I rubbed it on the carpet of the floor. And before I knew it, I fell asleep.

◆◇◆◇◆

「──de! ─ude! Hey Claude!」

Hearing my name I opened my eyes and slowly sat up. I rubbed my eyes where gunk had gathered indicating I had been asleep for quite a while now. Where am I? Oh! Right, I fell asleep after I was trying to learn magic but failed. Remembering that I felt like to cry again but I held back my tears. I looked towards my left to see who had woken me up.

「Huh? Big brother Karl? What are you doing here?」

I asked seeing my brother who was standing on his knees and had been calling my name for quite a while now.

「What do mean? Come down quickly it's almost time for dinner─ ...wait, were you crying before?」

As he had hit on the mark I felt a bit embarrassed, but still, I couldn't just come out and accept it in front of him. I mean it will give him a new reason for me to tease on. Thinking so, I tried to refute back.

「N-no, I wasn't」

He gave a wicked smile and started poking my cheeks playfully while he continued talking.

「Hey, come on! Tell me what the little crybaby was crying for? Did you wet your bed? or did you want something and father didn't allow to get it for you?」

「I told you that its nothing! Also, you said dinner was ready right? Let's go or else we might get scolded by mother for being late.」

Saying so I tried to divert the topic and dashed towards the door and headed to the dining room.

The dinner was also pleasant just like breakfast and lunch. Moreover, the discussion going on the table was also out of my understanding. So, I quietly started to eat my meal. However, suddenly I felt like the atmosphere turning serious so I lifted my head and looked around.

There I noticed my mother staring at me with a gentle expression.

「What the matter, Claude? Is the food not to your liking? You are not as proactive as you usually are.」

「A-ah, no! It's really tasty.」

Saying so I started eating my dinner quietly once again. However, I couldn't help but keep remembering the events of this afternoon. My expression turned a bit bitter.

My brothers and mother looked at each other and then at my father. I tried to reassure them once again.

「I really am fine.」

My father smile, but the next words that came out of his mouth startled me.

「How did you magic training go, Claude?」

「.......I didn't have any aptitude for magic.」

I replied to him after a brief pause. My parents and brothers gave a warm smile. In fact, I could see both Ralph and Karl smiling right now. As I prepared my self for my their upcoming taunts, my father raised his left hand and ruffled through my hair.

「Come on! You were feeling down for such a reason? Not having an aptitude for magic doesn't mean its the end of the world for you. You still have a long life ahead of you. Don't sweat the small stuff.」

I looked at him surprised. Was he consoling me? The same father who had never once apologized for beating the crap out of me is not making fun of me right now? Even though its a situation I can't refute back.

While I was still comprehending what had happened, Ralph suddenly spoke up.

「You really are just a little kid, you know? When I discovered that I couldn't use magic, I didn't feel down like you or anything! Instead, I was more pumped than ever!」

「He is lying! I clearly remember watching him cry for an hour that day.」

「B-big bro Karl! I thought I told you to keep it a secret. Do you want me to tell mother about her favourite vase that you accidentally broke yesterday?」

He did what!?

Hearing what Ralph said, my mother chuckled with a very amused expression.

But Ralph and Karl who were shown that fiendish smile couldn't bear it at all.

They were assaulted with a misapprehension that if they spoke any more carelessly here, Mother might go off to attack both of them right away. Their backs unconsciously shivered.

The most terrifying thing was that they absolutely believed that mother might do exactly that.

There was a saying that "A smile is originally an aggressive expression". Karl never realized just how true that saying was until this day.

(Geeh! I stepped on a landmine!)

(Ralph, you bitch! Why did you say something so unnecessary!)

(I-I didn't do anything wrong! It was youu–!)

(You idiot! It's times like this where we're sharing our lot!)

It felt like both of them could read each other thoughts without speaking for a moment. Actually, I am surprised as to how did I understand them myself.

Looking at the spectacle unfolding before me, I remembered my father's previous words. Feeling a bit suspicious I asked him-

「....Were you saying the truth?」

「Yep!」

He said so while flashing a smile. Looking at him put me to ease. Now that I think about it. It's just like he said, not having magic doesn't mean its the end of the world. I can improve and hone my other skills and still have the same outcome. Yes, not being able to use magic is a bummer but its alright. It's not like my life always went the way I want it to.

My father's words put me at peace and I felt a lot relaxed than before.

「Now, as your amazing father, I will help you compensate for your lack of magic. From tomorrow onwards we will have more rigorous and tough training in the morning. You should thank me for showing you such consideration you know.」

Immediately such words came out from his mouth and he looked at me mockingly

「NOOOOOOO! Please No! I am already dying with the current pace and you will make it even harder!?」

All of them began to laugh, suddenly my mother said-

「What are your both laughing for? As punishment, you two will also be training together with him.」

「Please spare us. We'll die!」

Seeing our whining probably made my family delighted as they all started laughing.

「Man! Dinner really doesn't feel the same unless I can hear Claude cursing his own fate every day.」

Ralph declared.

「Are you a sadist?」

Karl refuted. Ralph then once again look at me and with a smug face-

「Oh! By the way, Claude. I forgot to mention but while you were busily dazing away, I ate your dessert. Sorry!」

「You! I had saved it for these many days! I wanted to eat it while teasing the both of you. How could you just? Just you wait!」

As such, we continued our family dinner.

It was already quite late at night. After a few more talks with everyone. I finished my dinner and headed to my room. Before I knew it, I fell asleep.

11