Chapter 13 – Working hard at Magic Training
255 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I rise with the sun in the morning, eat breakfast, and then swing my wooden sword until my arms go numb. Later, I train with the bow to hone my marksmanship and then read quietly in the study until lunch.

After lunch comes magic training until it gets too dark to read, with a break in the middle to eat dinner with the family. Fortunately, I figured out how to cast light magic,《Glow》, of《Basic》level, which has significantly extended the time I have to train at night. However, I become sleepy relatively fast and can't stay up too late.

My father rarely enters the study.

He can't read at all. He delegates most of his duties as a lord to the village chief and village headman. When he has to sign documents in his capacity as lord, he does so in the dining room.

「Now for Intermediate magic.」

I only started magic training a week ago and I've already worked my way up to intermediate magic.

In any case, I began to try out the simplest intermediate magic.

I hold the guidebook in my left hand, stretched out my right, and read out the words.

《Water Ball》

I felt the sensation of blood gathering in my right hand. My blood feels as if it's being squeezed out, and a water bullet the size of a fist appeared in front of my right hand.

「Whoa!!」

The moment I showed amazement, the water bullet fell onto the floor, dampening it.

Perhaps my concentration had been broken, causing the spell to fail.

Concentrate, concentrate......

The sensation of blood gathering in my right hand. This, this, this feeling ......Mmmm.

I once again raise my right hand, recall that feeling from before, and imagine it in my mind.

I don't know how much mana I have, but it's best not to think that I can do this many times.

Concentrate, and let every attempt be successful.

First, I had to imagine it, then repeat it over and over in my mind, then cast it in reality. If it failed, I'll imagine it again in my mind. Until I can do it perfectly in my head.

This was how I practised every spell until now.

I should have no problems if I practice using this method...... I hope.

「Brea...the......」

A deep breath.

I send the blood flowing from my toes and top of my head into my right hand, using that feeling to gather power.

And then, have the feeling of firing it out from my palm...

Carefully, carefully. With every heartbeat, gathering it bit by bit......

Water, Water, Water, Water Ball, Water Ball, Water Ball ......

Concentrate, squeezing out waterrrrrrr.........

《Water Ball》

I unconsciously shouted, and the water ball came out.

「Eh, huh......?」

Plop.

The moment I showed surprise, the water bullet fell way too quickly.

I was breathing profusely. Although I had been practising only for about 30 minutes or so, the exhaustion I was feeling could be compared the exhaustion felt after the training of sword practice.

Magic requires very high stamina, huh?

That's something I have come to notice since the day I had started practising magic. Other than mana, magicians seem to require very high stamina for casting spells. Although I had read about it many times, experiencing it by myself is a completely different thing.

Well, if that the case all I can do is steadily increase my stamina bit by bit every day.

「Then let's do it again.」

But when I stretch out my right hand, I feel strangely sluggish.

It's as if there's something heavy on my shoulders.

The feeling of fatigue.

Is it because I'm concentrating too hard?

No, my concentration wouldn't vanish from just two attempts.

「That is to say, my Mana depleted...?」

Goodness...if they say the mana amount is decided at birth, my mana's only enough to fire two water bullets?

That's just too little, right? Or is it because I'm a beginner, my efficiency when using mana properly is really low?

To be safe, I tried firing off the spell one more time, but in the end, I fainted.

◆◇◆◇◆

[Next Day]

I was fine even after firing《Water Ball》four times. I only felt tired after the fifth shot.

「Huh...?」

Based on my experience yesterday, I know I'll faint if I fired another shot, and I decide to stop.

So I began to think.

My current maximum's six shots. That's two times more than yesterdays.

I looked at the barrel's-worth of five water bullets, and wonder,

The reason why the number of shots increased by 2 times from yesterday till today.

Was it because I was already tired yesterday, or was it because I consumed more mana yesterday?

I'm casting them all through incantation, so there shouldn't be any difference between the two methods.

I don't get it.

Maybe the number will continue to increase tomorrow.

◆◇◆◇◆

[Next Day]

The number of Water Balls I could create had increased. I could now cast the spell 11 times.

I see. So this is what the book meant by consciously feeding mana into the magic sac so that the magic sac will expand and my total mana capacity will increase.

However, I didn't want to blindly believe what was recorded in the book. What if my mana capacity increases irrespective of me stressing my magic sac? If my theory's true, by tomorrow, I should be able to cast more spells.

[Another day passed]

To confirm my guess, I tried casting the spell but could not cast more than 11 times. My limit really is the same as before. Today I tried doing as the book had said, and depleted my mana completely.

[Another day passed]

My limit of casting became 21 times. So, what the book said was correct. Expending mana in large quantities, which will drain my magic sac and stress my magic pathways, will cause my mana capacity to expand and my magic power to increase.

◆◇◆◇◆

From the next day onwards, I depleted my mana to the fullest every day.

At the same time, the number of spells I could use increased.

Anyway, my short-term target's to completely master《Gou》level magic. It had the lowest rank amongst all attack magic that can be used in combat.

《Water Ball》and《Flame Bullet》are considered the basics even amongst the《Gou》spells.

I read that an ordinary educated magician can improve his specialized magic up to the advanced rank, while the typical uneducated can cast elementary to intermediate ranked spells.

However, out of an abundance of caution, I've decided to halt my training for some time. 

This is because intermediate spells are on a significantly larger scale and would likely cause some destruction in the study. I can't just cast a《Flame Bullet》indoors, after all.

So until the end of the month, all I can do is strengthen my 《Basic》level spells. I sighed at my misfortune and kept practising until it was lunchtime.

◆◇◆◇◆

At last, the 1 month of house arrest finally came to an end. My father suddenly spoke to me at dinner without looking at me.

「Claude, I heard that the house arrest ends tomorrow.」

「Yes.」

「I hope you now know well enough not to wander away into the monster's territory.」

「Y-yes!」

「And try to collect anything that seems edible in the forest. Also, pick up as much firewood as you can carry.」

The forest he is speaking about is a so-called ordinary forest, meaning that monsters don't live here. Instead, it is inhabited by ordinary wildlife like rabbits and wild boars. These game animals are the primary source of protein for my family and the people within the lord's territory. The local forests also supply the territory with edible plants, nuts, and firewood.

They are an indispensable asset.

Actually, I had already wanted to go there. This is because I've decided to change my practice venue from the study to the forest. I should be safe so long as I do not wander too deep into the forest, and I doubt that anyone would be angry if I practice magic there. And if I screw up and something happens to me, at least it won't affect the mansion or my family.

So today I strap my wooden training sword onto my waist before setting out into the forest. I honestly think that carrying a wood sword is better than nothing, but maybe I'm just kidding myself.

Next is a backpack to carry the firewood, a small bow and ten arrows that were used for training. The small arrows don't have proper arrowheads, but I've sharpened the tips to a point, so maybe I can take down a small bird if I'm lucky.

It was definitely better than nothing, even if it screams "escape before relying on me."

「I don't really expect to bag anything with this weapon.」

I produce a short arrow made of earth and shoot it via wind magic. This is my first time using this spell called《Sand Arrow》of《Gou》level. It was a simple reproduction of a crossbow using magic, but since magic is pretty easy to manipulate, using spells for the first time isn't terribly hard task. However because magic depends heavily on the talent of the caster, I can't say for sure whether or not I can really do it.

Luckily, I succeeded in casting this spell. It has enough power that I could even defeat a bear with it if I hit it in a vital organ or something. Rapid-fire is also theoretically possible, but I'm still working on upping its rate of fire.

It was not particularly difficult to control since I had been diligently training with the bow.

As I wandered through the woods I stumbled upon a thicket of herbs.

「Let see... Was this wild plant edible?」

I grab a bit of the herb, figuring that I will ask father later. Besides the mystery herb, I've gathered edible mushrooms and wild strawberries using an illustrated book from the study as a reference. All that's left is to fill up my backpack with firewood.

The load gradually became heavier as I went, so I cast a《Support》type spell,《Light Weight》, of《Gou》level, on my backpack to make it easier to carry. For good measure, I also enhanced my strength using《Strength》.

If I got tired, I cast a《Healing》type spell,《Heal》, of《Basic》level, on my weary muscles.

Satisfied that I have trained enough I decided to call it a day. I set off for home with plenty of firewood and wild plants. I moved at a good clip on the way back thanks to my magic and I was approaching the exit when I suddenly saw a bird flash through my field of vision.

A couple of guinea fowl, which is a fat bird like a duck that can be found most places on the continent. Their meat is delicious and their feathers can be sold to artisans that use them to craft ornaments.

However, they're tough to catch. Despite their chubby appearance, they're sensitive to the presence of people and quick to flee. The best hunter in our territory might only catch one if he holed up in the forest for an entire day. And even then, only if he was lucky.

As a result, it's rare to see it on the menu. In fact, this month I only ate it once, and my portion was small.

Even though that portion was small, it was so delicious that it still haunts my dreams. There was just so much flavour packed into it.

「Wait...」

If I can regularly succeed in hunting guinea fowl will my brown bread and salted vegetable soup be followed up by roasted fowl every day?

I'm determined. Wait for me, meat!

It's only been about a month since I have discovered that I can use magic, I've enjoyed my special, secret magic training, but I need to be decisive about my own meals for the sake of my nutrition. As much as my family may be poor, I am still a bit picky about what I eat.

I feel like my motives are somewhat ignoble, but I don't care. I need to concentrate on hunting these guinea fowls. I need to get close enough to use this pathetic little bow, but if I make even a sound on the approach the guinea fowl will bolt for sure.

「Then I'll use my new spell,《Sand Arrow》!」

After five shots (and five misses), the guinea fowls were on the verge of escaping, but my aim improved with each shot, and in the end, I managed to bag two of the wily birds.

「I'm back.」

「Oh, Claude. Does the firewood... wait, did you catch a guinea fowl!?」

At dinner, the two birds were lined up magnificently on the table and I, as the contributor, was given a healthy portion of the delicious roasted fowl that I had been craving for long.

◆◇◆◇◆

The next day, I started running towards the hill where the huge tree is at. I will finally meet Aiden after so many days! I couldn't meet him yesterday because I took too long in the forest.

「Claude!」

「Aiden! Long time no see!........W-what are you doing? S-stop.....it tickling me!」

The moment I greeted him he started touching different parts of my body. I began to laugh as it was very tickling.

「Aiden, I think I told you I don't swing that way!」

It was then that my gaze fell upon his face that I saw that he was on the verge of tears.

「Aiden! What happened? Did someone bully you? Let's go and kick their-」

「Thank god」

Aiden started hugging me very tightly and started crying. Although difficult, I could still understand him.

「I was so scared! I thought something might have happened to you, they didn't even let me see you until today! I am sorry! It was because of me that you had to go through something like that! I am sawwy!」

I see. Unlike me who knew that he survived, Aiden didn't get to confirm my well being with anybody. He wasn't even allowed to come and see me at the mansion which might have resulted in him thinking that my injuries were way too fatal.

I gently hug him too and I feel his chin resting on my shoulders.

「I am sorry............. I shouldn't have said to go that day. It was my mistake. I will take any punishment you wish to give me, so please forgive me!」

His tears and snot were sticking to my shirt but it alright. He probably had been very anxious this entire month without knowing whether I was even alive or not so it is understandable that he suddenly has such outburst of emotions. After a while, he calmed down and we sat under the shade of the tree together.

「You alright now?」

「..........Yeah」

Although his response came after a long pause, he is alright. I can feel it. He has started to even smile a little now. He then suddenly calls out to me.

「Hey, Claude.......」

「Yeah?」

「.....D-don't you hate me?」

Hate, huh? 

Certainly, I would have hated and resented the person who would have put me through such pain and suffering. However, In the case of Aiden, I don't feel either of those. Instead, I actually even feel proud that even after going through such a hopeless situation, I could save my friend. I look at him and smile.

「......Sorry, but I don't actually hate Aiden.」

「C-Claude......」

And he smiles at me with relief. A gentle smile. Still probably feeling responsible, he apologizes to me once more.

「So, can we be like before?」

I wanted our relationship to return to like it was before. I am determined.

That's right, he hopes for the usual too.

To maintain the same as before, we both need to put this incident behind us. This is to let him not feel responsible and awkward around me all the time.

It can only be that. It should only be that. Let's do it.

Aiden shares the sentiment and nods his head. In this way, we restored our relationship to what it was like before. 

10