Chapter 16 – His Past
256 0 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[????'s POV]

Only now do I truly understand . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

『I don't want to die』 That was the only thought running through my mind right now. The Pack, which was now larger than before was chasing after me and were slowly catching up.

That when people find themselves in Darkness . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tears rolled down my cheeks as I thought about how powerless and weak I am. The wolves were gaining on me and the number of them seems to keep increasing.

They seek Light . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

They looked at me as if I was nothing more than food. It looked like they were just toying with me. Trying to see my futile resistance and effort as I try to escape them and then just as I think I can escape they catch up again.

And it doesn't matter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A wolf jumped in front of me and tried to catch me off guard, I tried to kill him with the sword that I had taken. It missed and I took a direct hit from him as he dashed into my chest. At such a short-range I shouldn't have missed, however, due to running continuously for so long, I was out of breath and couldn't land a decisive hit.

How faint or how small the light is . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

I fell on the ground. It was a rocky terrain so it hurt a lot. At the same time, the wolf bit my arm. It was painful, but I hit him with the handle of the sword, and it let go of my arm. I quickly got up and started running again.

As long as it's there . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

The wolves were now closer than ever. It was only a matter of time before I get caught, I was already very lucky to have been able to survive this long. Suddenly one of the wolves grabbed me by my leg, I stumbled and nearly fell but before I could I regained my balance and cut it with my Sword and ran again.

It gives HOPE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Drenched in Sweat and Blood. Tired with all the exhaustion. Pain in legs from running too long. Arms hurting from carrying the heavy Sword. I had pushed my body way past its limits yet I had no chance of surviving.

Hope that there will be light despite all of the Darkness . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

「WHAT DID I DO TO DESERVE THIS!?」 

I screamed as I was slowly losing my will to live. My voice only attracted more of their kind but at this point, it didn't matter anymore. I was gradually slowing down and they were coming closer. I was also losing my consciousness and starting to blackout.

Hope that maybe the Darkness will disappear . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

『Ah! I am going to die... I tried my best but it was of no use. They were simply too strong..... I wanted to do so many things...Yet here I am at God-knows-where, all alone surrounded by nothing but animals.....』

「Why?」 I started to cry. 

「Why did you throw me here?」 

I said as I cried while releasing all the bottled up feelings I had up until now.

By now I had been surrounded by around 25-30 wolves, there is no chance of me surviving. Still, I thought that maybe there would be some way or something that could help me survive.

Hope that they will SURVIVE . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Suddenly I heard a shout. 

《Electro Ball》!

I also heard the whimpering of wolves followed right after. I suddenly felt his presence coming closer to me.

「......Oi! Are you alright?」

I mustered my last bit of strength and look at the person who saved me. 

Having glossy black hair and black pupils. He's dressed in a pure white shirt and knee-high half-pants. He's having the appearance which was exactly like a painting of a young boy coming from a noble family.

『I see. So you saved me, huh?』

Thinking so, I blacked out.

◆◇◆◇◆

[????'s POV]

What does it mean to be alive?

We all are imperfect beings. Clumsy and foolish organism full of error.

──────────────────

Whatever! I don't care anymore. It's over between us!

Saying so, the human women threw the picture frame that contained the portrait of the family. It fell on the floor and broke. As she was leaving, the male demon shouted behind her.

Get out of my house, right now!

──────────────────

That is what it means to be alive.

My story is one that is unremarkable......and ridden with cliché.

It's a story about a cheating mother and an incompetent father.

A household with nonstop arguments. She is faithful only to her desires while he is clumsy in all that he does.

This led me to wonder why they even had me in the first place.

The answer to that question was always clear.

I was a mistake birthed from the consummation of a stupid demon man and a foolish human woman.

That is who I am.

──────────────────

Mom's not coming back anymore?

The little boy asked the man, who looked like his father. The man sat on the couch with his face buried in his hand.

How....how did things turn out like this?

...』 

──────────────────

I pitied him.

He was a clumsy person─At work, with relationships, and just overall. Unable to calmly assess his situation or any problem he faced, he would keep making the wrong choices. That's just the kind of person he was.

The little boy picks up the broken picture frame. He looked at it for a few moments before throwing it in the trash can.

Compared to him, I was a competent individual. I could assess the situation calmly and prepare for the future.

But what's life?

You are born, and then you die. That's all there is to it, and it so meaningless. Or you could die in pursuit of your goal.

Isn't that the only meaning in life we can create?

──────────────────

The man got up from the couch and took the hand of the little boy.

L-let's go to the m-market. Y-you must be hungry right?

『...』

──────────────────

I see, so he is going to do that, huh?

──────────────────

The man together with the little boy started to walk in direction of the market. While holding the hand of the little boy, the man's hand were shaking noticeable. When they were in the middle of the crowd, the man spoke-

A-ah! I-I suddenly remembered I had something to do. C-can you w-wait here for me? I-I will be back soon.

──────────────────

His acting is tragic.

I knew it. I knew he'd do this. But I will remain calm. I won't be swept up by the emotions, and I won't be sad.

The apple will fall far from the tree.

──────────────────

The man while gently rubbing the head of the little child gave him some money.

T-take this and buy some s-snacks while you w-wait for me.

The little boy took the money with no change in his expression.

Ok, Dad. Hurry back.

.......Right.

Saying so, the man turned around to leave. When the man had reached a considerable distance, the little boy turned around and started to leave too.

──────────────────

As expected................. He is clumsy even when he abandons his child.

I will remain calm. I won't be swept up by the emotions, and I won't be sad.

I pursue perfection! The perfection which is alone sublime in its beauty.

.

.

.

──────────────────

The little boy stopped after he had walked quite far away from the initial point that the man had left him at. He then gripped the money in his hand tightly. The little boy then started to cry.

──────────────────

To be honest.........

To be honest, that's not what I really wanted. There was something else I wanted to say too.

Don't go! Don't Abandon me!

I wanted to say it too! 

Not being able to take the guilt I tried to kill myself by running deep into the woods. But when I started to be chased by the animals I realised.

No! I don't want to die yet! I want to live too! I want to be happy!

But it was already too late. I was about to be eaten. That was until I was saved by him.

Oi! Are you okay?

I was happy to be saved. I was happy to be alive.

And that's when it hit me.

What..........What was I trying to do? 

.

.

.

I see.............

So in the end, I was a clumsy person too.

9