Chapter 21 – Heir’s marriage
283 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[2 years later]

I turned nine years old a few days ago. A lot has happened in that time. Personally, I’ve enjoyed the ride.

During this time, somethings changed while others remained the same. I still play with Aiden in the evening. Some times Shu would join us too, but he would usually be busy training under Old man Zen. Apparently, he is being trained very harshly these days. But it looks like he enjoys it too.

I also explore the forest and practice magic. Speaking of magic, I have now completely mastered《Dino》level spells and have moved onto 《Raja》. Recently, I’ve succeeded in significantly expanding my mana pool by employing a special training method I read in one of the books. I also have mastered the art of《Voiceless Incantation》.

As I no longer need to hide things from my family I can practise magic more freely than before. Though my father warns me not to disclose me being able to use magic to the villagers. I don't understand why he says so but he is probably saying this for my benefit. I think.

I tried to find out more about the Black Book whenever I could but soon gave up. I mean I found nothing! Moreover, it's not like it harming anybody after all. Well, I will find out sooner or later if it's really important or something. As such, I decided to ignore it for the time being.

Karl will turn 18 this year. He has a slender build and lacks physical strength, but he’s a handsome man and a gentle brother. He’s always the first to speak with me or care for me, unlike my second brother Ralph, who won't miss any chance of teasing me.

Karl's popular among the women of the territory, be they cute younger girls or lovely older ladies.

Usually, Curzon men aren’t overly handsome. They’re not ugly by any means, but rather they tend to be exceedingly average.

Oh, me? Yeah, I am probably below average though. I mean unlike 2 years ago, the girls now would blush whenever I talked with them. At first, I thought it was due to them finally changing their perspective about me. But then they would take a look at my face once again and run away in embarrassment. Averting their eyes from me as much as possible, trying not to relate with me.

Is......is it really that shameful to associate with a guy like me?

I felt like I wanted to cry. But fear not! As I have now grown resistant to such things by experiencing them for so long. Hahahahhahahahahaa...haha..hah...hahaha..ha........I feel like I wanna die.

Anyways, moving on!

None of the Curzon men has been known for their exceptional talent. The founder of this territory, who migrated here with a group of impoverished people from the capital, is said to have been a quick-witted man, and it can be said that no truly incompetent or foolish family head has followed after him, but it is equally true that our family has failed to produce an outstanding talent in monster subjugation, war, or domestic affairs.

Still, the reality is that the people of this territory can’t use magic and their knights are lacking skill with a sword.

Instead, thanks to the group hunting expeditions held a few times a year, the bow has become both the strength and the preferred weapon of those who live in this territory. All of the Curzon children inherited this affinity for the bow.

The people of the territory don’t have to worry about monster attacks, so instead of focusing on the sword as a means of self-defence, they can focus on archery as a means of securing a stable supply of meat. If monsters ever strayed from their territory this would almost certainly be impossible. But thankfully that is not a concern worth losing sleep over.

Besides, even if it were, the Demon Forest is hundreds of kilometres away across the Savage Lands.

That’s why I and father don’t spend too much time on sword practice anymore. Because even if we dedicated ourselves to it we would have no opportunity to use it. There’s really not much incentive. This is not the case for Shu though as he is being specially trained. 

Still, I do train every day with my father, which serves as a daily reminder that I am no good with the sword.

Ralph is the most skilful archer in this territory. 

Although the status quo in our family has been static for some time, the winds of change are about to blow in our direction. Father has informed us that Karl will soon be married.

「Karl’s bride-to-be is the daughter of the Meibach family, Cecily. The wedding is scheduled for next week, as soon as she arrives in our territory.」

My father announced happily. He even got a bit drunk that night. My mother was helping my father by calming his ever-excited state down as he was still in the state of being sober. Ralph was teasing Karl about his upcoming marriage and Karl was blushing with shyness.

I felt happy looking at such a scene.

However, I suddenly felt something deep within me. This has happened with me many times till now and I still can't get over it. I felt as if somebody was saying things in my ear.

An unconscious intuition that tells me that no matter how hard I try I can never truly be a part of them. That I was not supposed to be here and I am just intruding upon them. I was never supposed to have been here.

「Claude, what happened?」

My mother gently called out to me as she might have noticed me getting spaced out.

「What do you expect? He is probably jealous of big bro Karl getting married.」

Ralph didn't miss the chance to tease me once again.

「N-no, I am not.」

「Was that stuttering I hear? So, I was right after all!」

He started laughing loudly until his head was banged by mum's fist.

「You have grown more and more mischievous day after day haven't you, Ralph?」

「N-no, mom. You see, we were joking and nothing els- Ouch! Ouch! My ear!」

Mother twisted his ear while listening to this apology. Both me and Karl had a hearty laugh. 

Yeah, I was probably imagining it. Man, my intuition is weird sometimes. I thought to myself and focused on the celebration.

10