Chapter 25 – You are a bother!
388 6 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[3 years later]

I've finally turned 12 years old, but nothing big has happened for the last three years.

I wake up early every morning and after finishing breakfast and practising swordsmanship, I immediately enter the depths of the forest and depart with《Teleport》. The destination is somewhere in the southern part of the undeveloped lands.

I do special training in magic as needed, I also try alchemy(not much though) in various ways with materials like ores taken from the mine. Then I also do some hunting, gathering, and fishing before going home.

Recently, my magic training has finally come to an end. I have successfully mastered all the currently known spells from《Basic》to《Teo》level(as spells after this level have been lost).

This was highly possible only because of the support of my family. They always brought me new magic books whenever the current one would finish, as such I never ran out of material to learn from. The magic books are cheap too so it didn't financially burden the house either.

Many might be thinking, 『Is learning magic really so easy that even a child can do so?』, and the answer would be yes. As such, some also start to wonder that if even a child can learn magic so easily then what difference would magicians even have among themselves?

The answer to that question would be ‹Control› and ‹Power›.

Learning all the current known spells isn't actually that hard. In fact, a normal magician can do so under a year! Granted that he is learning under a supervisor and not on his own like me.

However, just learning spells isn't enough to become a first-class magician.

A first-class magician has good control over how he manipulates mana within his body(both internal and external). He must also learn to determine how much mana he would use to make the spell more effective. Providing a large amount of mana to a low-level spell can backfire on the mage itself, at the same time, not giving enough mana to a high-level spell can make the casting of the spell difficult.

Moreover, the mage must also keep in mind the power of a spell. It's not necessarily true that providing a large amount of mana to a spell would make it more powerful. Some spells, no matter how much mana is provided, would never muster enough power to even hurt a bird. Other spells could, however, could burn down an entire forest even if they receive a tiny amount of mana.

A good magician knows how to keep a balance between the two while also having a presence of mind.

Unfortunately, I still haven't reached that level. The only way to reach that level is to practise and gain experience.

Anyways, putting this boring stuff aside, I have recently become an uncle! That's right, big brother Karl had a son.

The child is only 5 months old at the moment but nonetheless, he is so cute! He is usually with big sister Cecily(I got permission to call her that) though as he is still young. I only get to play with him during the night time. He is a huge cry baby though. He cries whenever I try to lift him.

These past three years, I had contemplated what I should do with my life. I finally came to a decision.

I have decided that I will stay in the territory and secretly help my family in developing the territory(else it will cause a family feud). Although not many, I have also started to get close to some of the village girls too. Maybe they finally had some pity and looked towards me. I might also marry one of them in the future.

Many might say that I will have a bright future if I leave the territory but I don't want to. I will stay here with my family.

◆◇◆◇◆

That night when we were having dinner my father suddenly called out to me.

「Ummmm...Claude?」

I stopped playing with the baby(who was still crying by the way) and looked towards my father who called me. All the others also looked at us while they were still busy eating.

「Yes, Dad?」

「How do you feel here?」

After he asked the question with a smile on his face, I became confused for a second but then answered-

「F-fine, I guess?」

「I see.」

「What happened? That came so out of the blue.」

「Nothing. Anyways, Claude, have you ever thought about exploring the outside world?」

Still keeping the same smiling face, he asked me. This time I answered while eating-

「I guess? Not that much though.」

I honestly answered. What point was he even trying to make?

「I see. Then it's good.」

「What's good?」

「Nothing. Ah! Can you also call Shu from Mr Zen's place real quick? I gotta talk to him about something. Also, ask Mr Zen to give back the hoe that he had taken some weeks back.」

「Ummmm...but I don't wanna!」

「Come on now! Don't be lazy. Moreover, Shu would be overjoyed if you went looking for him you know.」

「......Ok.」

Shu has been living with that Old geezer ever since he was taken in for training. We do meet each other, but our contact has been almost minimum these past few years. Even after this Shu hasn't dropped that formal attitude of his around me. He doesn't do that with anyone else.

I quickly finished my meal and went ahead to call Shu.

◆◇◆◇◆

[Shu's POV]

I quickly reached the mansion as Master Claude had told me so.

I was a bit confused though, as Teacher(Zen) hadn't taken any hoe from Sir George but even then Teacher said he would search for it. When I thought that Sir George might be mistaken and was about to say it to Teacher, he stopped me and told me to go.

「May I enter, Sir George?」

「Ah! Yes, yes. Come in.」

Still confused I entered the dining hall.

The moment I did, I saw that everybody was still sitting on the dining table even though they had finished their dinner.

As if waiting for the moment, Ralph spoke while looking towards his father.

「So? He has come now. What was it that you wanted to discuss?」

「Calm down will ya? Oh, Shu! Please have a seat.」

「Thank you, Sir.」

After some more chitchat, Sir George cleared his throat. Everybody's attention was practically only on him right now.

「So I guess I need to start speaking on why I had called this sudden family meeting, shouldn't I? So then, where do I begin? Well, you see........」

While hearing his words, everybody in the room widened their eyes. After some time, he finally came to halt.

「So? No problem with anyone, right?」

He asked. Nobody spoke after he said that. I guess all of them were still in shock over what they might have heard. When I thought this might continue for a while, Ralph suddenly spoke.

「What do you mean 'No problem?'. I don't agree with that! He hasn't even become of age yet and you are-」

「This was not a discussion, Ralph! I only called this meeting to inform all of you of the decision I had made.」

「But-」

「No buts. The decision has been finalized.」

Ralph almost looked like he was about to cry. Even Karl tried to persuade Sir George but it leads to no avail. Ralph dashed out of the room in tears. All the other's in the room were also in shock.

Then, Sir George turned towards me and spoke-

「So? What's your decision, Shu?」

I thought for a moment before answering without hesitation.

「I had already decided that I belong to Master Claude's side, Sir. Wherever he goes so shall I.」

「Good.」

It looked like he had already anticipated my answer but still wanted to confirm just in case.

Finally, the heavy discussion came to an end.

◆◇◆◇◆

[Claude's POV]

「Ouch! This is all because of him.」

The next morning I woke up while cursing that Zen.

Damn that Old man!

Yesterday I went to take back the hoe that he had borrowed from my father a few weeks back while also calling Shu. He told me to wait and started to search for it. And guess what he said after making me wait for 30 minutes?

『I can't find it anywhere. Tell your father I shall search for it some other day.』

The attitude of this man! Not even a bit apologetic after nabbing something that's not his. Instead, he even started blaming me for not coming any sooner to take it from him!

I started running back home in anger, fell and hurt my knee. It's all because of him!

I sighed and took a deep breath. It's not good to be angry first thing in the morning.

I quickly got up, washed my face and wore fresh clothes.

It's kind of weird that nobody came to wake me up today. I nearly woke up at the time of breakfast.

Not that I care. I am actually happy as this made me skip the sword practise entirely.

While humming, I quickly reached the dining table.

「Good morning!」

I greeted everyone and sat down at my place. I also noticed that big bro Ralph wasn't present there. Well, he might still be asleep.

As I was still humming, the breakfast started being served............................huh?

「Ummmmm........excuse me? I think you forgot to bring me my plate.」

I spoke to the old maid who was serving everyone present at the table. I guess this might the effect of old age, huh? Not that I mind

However, the maid completely ignored me and moved towards the kitchen.

『Is......is she turning deaf too?』

I thought and called out to them once again only to be ignored again.

「Mom, I think the maids forgot to bring me my breakfast and for some reason, they are ignoring me too.」

I called out to my mom who is in charge of all the servants of the mansion. However, she ignored me too.

「Mom? Mom! Mom, do you hear m-」

Oh my god, can you shut up!」

However, instead of my mother, it was big brother Karl who replied in a very cold tone.

「What do you-」

「I meant what I say. You are annoying.」

「Huh?」

What is he saying? I am annoying?

I mean he has said that to me many times but never has it felt that he actually meant it. But today, it feels different.

I turned towards my father and spoke.

「D-dad, Mom and big brother and behaving weirdly today. Are they trying to play some sort of a prank on me?」

However, he didn't even bat me an eye and kept eating his food. As I became more and more confused, big brother Karl spoke.

「Don't you get it already? Everybody is fed up of you now.」

「What?.......」

「Exactly what I meant.」

「No wait a minute.............you all are not joking, right?」

「Does this look like a joke to you?」

「N-no, but....」

「Then shut up already!」

My legs started shaking. I have never been treated by my family like this. As I became more and more flustered, I got up from my seat and quickly rushed towards my mother.

「Mom? Mom! Mom! Listen to me! Mo-」

I tried to shake her so that she would look at me but she didn't. I left her and rushed towards father.

「D-dad! At least you listen to me! Why are you not talking with me? Did I do something wrong-」

As I was shaking my father, he suddenly jerked his hand towards me and I fell on the floor.

「Can you calm down?! Don't you see I am eating my meal?」

「Then listen to me! Don't you see everybody is ignoring me!」

「So?」

「Huh?」

「It's something we all decided on last night.」

「What?」

「You know very well how financially burdened our territory is, right? As such, we decided that its time for you to leave. It shall ease the financial burden on the house a little.」

「B-but you could have just fired off some of the servants though! Then also we would have-」

「And why would I do that?」

My father made a face as if he was stating the obvious thing. I spoke while visibly shaken.

「B-because I am f-family and-」

「Soooooo, what you are saying is that I should fire a productive servant over you?」

「B-but I am f-fam-」

「And even if you are family, what have you ever done for the territory?」

「T-then I s-shall help from now on-」

「And you expect me to believe that? A boy who didn't lift a finger to help the territory from the past 12 years will now work diligently?」

「Then I shall use magic to develop the-」

But before I could finish speaking, Karl spoke in between.

「Oh? So now you want to snatch the position of the successor of the house from me don't you?」

「N-no! I n-never said that! You know very well I am not interested in-」

「Don't think I don't know what you are thinking.」

「But I am not interested-」

「As if I would believe such a thing.」

I looked down at the floor. My breathing had become very erratic.

『They are not listening to me.』

Ralph. Big bro Ralph will. Even though he says he hates me, he will probably hear me out. Yeah, he will.

As I got up thinking that, Karl spoke again.

「Ah! If you think running back to Ralph would help you, then think again. Why do you think he didn't come to breakfast today?」

「W-why?」

「Because when he heard last night that you would be banished from the house. He became so happy that he said seeing you face today would ruin his mood. As such, he won't be coming down today.」

「N-no way! You are lying!」

「It's not like I am asking you to trust me. I am just stating the facts.」

There is no way this is happening.

「Big brother, if you are making a joke then this is going too far, isn't it? I think it better to stop now.」

I said while making a forced laugh but no one else did. Instead, their looks turned only colder.

That when my father, turned to me and said-

「Don't you get it already, Claude? You are a bother here. If you really are a man then you should just quietly get up and leave.」

.

.

.

.

.

I see.....so I am a bother ain't I? A bother!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH........heeehehehehehehhe...........A bother, huh?

And here I was, thinking that we were a family, that our bond was unbreakable but little did I know that it could be broken just like that! Just because our house was in a little financial crisis, they cut me off!

Fantastic, just fantastic.

I looked straight at my family members in the face. They flinched a little.

「So you all want me to leave, right? Then I shall do as you say! Leave. You can beg me all you want but I won't stop.」

I quickly rushed towards my room and started to pack my bag all the while as tears rolled down my cheeks.

◆◇◆◇◆

[Zen's POV]

「Teacher, tomorrow Master Claude is going to be banished from the house. I am planning on following him.」

I see, so that's why Shu was called by George this late at night. Thinking so, I replied in the most nonchalant tone possible.

「I see. Then you should rest in preparation for tomorrow. It's already this late.」

Shu's expression looked peaceful and very refreshed. It was as though he was satisfied with my answer. I guess he was thinking that I might oppose him from going away. Still, I did feel a little sad that this house would be empty once he was gone.

「Thank you, teacher.」

「Yeah, yeah, whatever.」

[The morning of the next day]

After Shu ate breakfast, he finished his preparations to leave. I also gave him some old clothes that I had brought cheaply from one of the villagers. It consisted of trousers, boots, and then a jacket and a robe. I also gave him a belt, a bag and a sword.

「They are some clothes I had brought yesterday, the height is the same as yours.」

I wanted to give him some brand new clothes but the traders won't come to the village until next month. He shook his head and spoke his thanks.

「No, I'm really thankful. Besides, thank you for everything, Teacher. Thank you for teaching me swordsmanship and for the keeping me around......it's really pathetic that I cannot give you anything to pay you back.」

「No, I have received enough repayment. Also, if it doesn't bother you, could I request you something?」

「Of course, Teacher. If it's something I can do, I would do so gladly.」

「If you don't mind, would you like getting adopted by me?」

He froze at my proposal. He then looked at me to check whether I was lying or not. Sensing that I was serious, he spoke-

「I see. Well, if you would be fine with someone like me, then I would be glad.」

「You are not as joyful as I thought you would be.」

He gave a small laugh and said

「Even I have learned many things about you over the years, teacher. You are not a person who gets influenced by personal emotion.」

「Is that so.」

...............I see. He must have realized it too that I adopted him not out love but desperation.

「Could I ask the reason you suddenly decided you adopt me, teacher?」

「Wait a moment.」 

I took out a small wooden box. I held the long and narrow wooden box with great care, opened the lid in front of his eyes and inside there was a necklace. Seeing the silver-coloured necklace, he immediately realized that it was a valuable item.

The blue gem had a diameter around three centimetres and was in the shape of a dragon with 2 pairs of wings. Around the gem was a silver coloured metal with ornamental shape, and the chain of the pendant seemed to be made from the same metal. Looking at that item that was created with such great detail, he said that, as expected, he couldn't accept it.

「Teacher, I cannot accept a treasure like this. This is obviously really valuable, isn't it?」

Hearing his words, I said 「You have to accept this」 with a serious expression. And then, I explained about the gem to him.

「Originally this is something that the heir of the Halsted house should inherit. But as I, the current heir, don't have any children, I would like you, my pupil, to get it instead.」

I took out the Gem pendant from the wooden box.

「Is it alright? For me to receive that kind of important item?」

「I cannot hand this over to anyone other than you. This is my own arbitrary decision but, Shu......no, Shu Halsted please take it. You doing so will keep the Halsted house and it's legacy alive. I won’t deny that I’m using you. But more than that, I don’t want to lose what my father and ancestors have accumulated until now. This power is also a part of me.」

He put the pendant on his neck and grasped the Gem. Looking at his face he looked a bit happy. I felt sad that I didn't adopt him for love but with what I have experienced, I don't think I can love anybody else anymore.

Still......hearing him call me grandfather would feel good. It was due to him that I once again discovered my love for the sword. Even though I might not be able to love him, I do care about him.

「Thank you. This is the Halsted House's treasure. I'll treasure it. Also......one day, I will return for sure. Let me pay back these debts at that time.」

I smiled at his words.

「I'll look forward to it. Also, take this. This is the Halsted house's heirloom. Every heir until now has used this.」

Saying so, I handed him a sword.

「B-but it looks rather rusty and weak?」

「Ah! Don't worry. When the time comes and the sword accepts you, you shall be able to use it.」

I began laughing, I remember having the same expression when I had received the sword for the first time.

「Accept? What do you mean, teacher?」

「Forget about it. Now get going or else you will be late.」

He started walking away, but when he reached a considerable distance, he turned around. It looked like he was hesitating a bit on saying something. He finally turned around and said-

「I will get going now............. Grandfather!」

He then quickly left as his face was bright red.

I waved my hand as he left the place. I saw him off until the end.

I recalled the past 5 years.

I stared at the house that now felt really spacious with Shu's departure. I muttered while looking at the picture of my mother that I asked an artist in the city to draw. The framed picture was made with a wooden frame and it was placed on the shelf. It was really old though. I took it in hand and embraced it.

「Hey, mum. With this, the weight is removed from my mind. The Halsted house will still live on. I know he won't make the same mistake that I did.」

I talked about my reminiscence inside the house where I was alone.

「For the heirloom to be left in his care......I can be at peace now. Dear ancestors......this Zel, has accomplished his role properly as the current family head.」

◆◇◆◇◆

[George's POV]

「I am telling you! I will marry my way into royalty if needed, dammit! If you want me to come back now, you still have the chance!」

「We get it, now leave already!」

I quickly shouted as Claude kept turning back every second giving us his 'second chance'. It looked like he was really angry. Well, I guess anybody would be if their family suddenly told them that they didn't care about them anymore.

Suddenly, I saw a boy quickly run past us with 2 swords and a backpack. He then quickly stopped and turned around to face us. He then bowed.

「I want to thank you all once again for taking care of me for all these years. I shall forever be grateful for you.」

It was Shu.

「It alright, Shu. Please take care of that child from now on. He might be a handful but he is a good child.」

「Certainly!」

Mary then quickly came forward and handed him a box full of food.

「Also, take this with you. That boy refused to take this due to his pride I guess. He hasn't even had breakfast yet. He must surely be hungry.」

「Thank you, mam. Well then, I better take my leave then.」

Saying so, he quickly rushed behind Claude. That's how Claude left the Curzon territory.

We then went inside and continued our meal. As I was eating, I remembered something and decided to ask Karl about it.

「By the way, Karl. What is Ralph doing now?」

「....................He still won't come out of the room.」

「I see. Well, he will get over it sooner or later, let him take his time.」

Ralph has locked himself in his room since yesterday and says that he won't come out until we don't bring Claude back. But that's inevitable after all, he was the closest to Claude in our family.

As I was about to continue my meal, I was stopped by Karl once again.

「Say, Dad? Couldn't we have least given him a warm goodbye?」

「It would have made things harder for both of us.」

「But then we didn't need to lie to him like that, we could have just-」

「Karl. Listen to me. Claude can use magic, moreover, he is reasonably good at maths and literature too. He will have many better prospects if he leaves this territory. Chaining him to this territory would only hamper his growth. If we as a family were becoming that chain then I would gladly separate myself from him even if it meant to get hated by him.」

After I said that, Karl didn't speak any further. He still seemed unsatisfied but knew nothing good would come out of arguing anymore. He needs to get used to situations like these if he really wants to succeed as the new lord of the territory after me.

Mary then got up from her seat.

「I am done. I shall get going then.」

I looked at her plate. She still had quite a lot left in it. As such, I got up and went after her too.

When I reached her room, she was sitting on the bed. She looked a bit surprised by my sudden appearance though.

「Why are you-?」

「Do you think I still haven't realised that whenever you become sad you lose your appetite?」

She didn't say anything after that. I quietly sat beside her. For the next few minutes, none of us spoke. Then she broke the silence-

「Say? C-can I cry for a bit while we are still alone?」

「.......Of course.」

She then buried her face in my chest and started to cry like a baby. She must have really been holding it inside her all this time. I gently caressed her head while she continued weeping.

「Look at you go! Even though you said you wouldn't have cared if he died when I had first brought him here.」

「......shut up.」

She continued weeping. She really became his mother, huh?

To be honest, Claude going away hurts me too. I feel like to cry a bit too. But I shouldn't break down. If I do, I won't be able to lead them all as the head of the family.

Also, this is how it was supposed to be. Yes, this is what Claude wanted...............No, what he wanted too.

I remembered the conversation I had with him 12 years back.

『𝑰 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏𝒔 𝒑𝒂𝒚𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝒃𝒆𝒏𝒆𝒇𝒂𝒄𝒕𝒐𝒓, 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖? 𝑨𝒔 𝒔𝒖𝒄𝒉, 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝑰 𝒓𝒆𝒒𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒇𝒐𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒐 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒄𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒎𝒆 𝒖𝒏𝒕𝒊𝒍 𝑰 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒆 𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒆𝒏𝒐𝒖𝒈𝒉 𝒕𝒐 𝒘𝒂𝒍𝒌 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒂𝒍𝒌 𝒐𝒏 𝒎𝒚 𝒐𝒘𝒏. 𝑰 𝒉𝒐𝒑𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒃𝒆 𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒐 𝒅𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒖𝒄𝒉, 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒕𝒂𝒍.』

Yes. I fulfilled my promise. He was never supposed to be with us this long anyway.

It would still take some time for all of us to return to our day to day lives but over time, these wounds shall heal up.

10